Why become a member? ×

Guitar Players Who Don't Get Their Due Respect

Yank

There's so many but I'm going to go with Ian Bairnson, who's main body of work was with The Alan Parsons Project.

Melodic and memorable solos that build nicely and he always had a great tone, too.

Whilst many thought that the outro guitar solo on "Wuthering Heights" was David Gilmour, it was in fact this chap. Oh, and he was also the guitarist in Pilot.

A bit of a newbie but I'm currently enjoying Mark Lettieri of Snarky Puppy's playing at the moment.

Edited by Kebabkid

[quote name='DJpullchord' timestamp='1506862056' post='3381554']
Robby Krieger.
[/quote]

Oh, hell yes. I suspect he gets overlooked because (i) The Doors seem to be quite divisive and (ii) the things you notice first tend to be Morrison's voice and Manzarek's electric organ, but I've always loved Krieger's playing.

pretty much all acoustic virtuosos the mainstream continues to ignore especiaolly Tommy Emmanuel, Pete Huttlinger (RIP), Leo Kottke, Dan Crary, Beppe Gambetta, Antonio Forcione, Peter Lang.. Viz the electric Danny Gatton (RIP) and the Hellecaster lads could have wiped the floor with many so-called 'guitar heroes'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snS4u6K5NbY

Edited by Barking Spiders

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1506960264' post='3382329']
One of my favorite guitar players is Neil Young-love his tone...
[/quote]

Now [i]there's [/i]a phrase I didn't expect to see (ever...)..! :huh:

:lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1506978958' post='3382543']
Given the sad news of Tom Petty's passing, Mike Campbell springs to mind.
[/quote]

+ 1 Was just thinking exactly the same. One of the best guitarists I've ever seen, minimal effects
but great tone and feel. Always plays for the song with great catchy riffs/hooks. Genius.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1506942690' post='3382101']

Yes I thought of him to and possible Keith Levene and James Honey-man Scott from the Pretenders. I personaly like those kind of guitarists that put a few layers to the music.
[/quote]
Another pretty-much unknown guitarist in the same style is Robin Simon - guitarist with Ultravox in the late 70s (before John Foxx left and Midge Ure joined) and John McGeoch's replacement in both Magazine and Visage.