Why become a member? ×

Guitar Players Who Don't Get Their Due Respect

Yank

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1506863157' post='3381561']
In the UK, ‘Brent Mason’ generally slips under the radar (although there are a couple of fans here on BC).

[media]http://youtu.be/oeJHnkUKg_M[/media]
[/quote]

But nice to hear Vince Gill laying down some white boy blues as well... another hugely underrated guitarist, singer and writer. Damn, I hate both of them!!

:D

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1506871991' post='3381652']
Tony McAlpine. These days he's Vai's rythym guitarist.

[/quote]

T-Mac is on tour with his band at the moment, he has just released a new record. He hasn't played with Vai in a while but he was a serious addition to that band. Not only is he a wizard on the keys, but his immense talent on the guitar was always exciting to watch, especially when he traded licks with Steve. I agree though, many people at Vai's live shows might not have realised he is regarded as a master in guitar circles.

Alex Lifeson is one I would nominate. He always vied with Neil and Geddy for accolades but was criminally overlooked. I suppose that, Neil's drumming was so far ahead of anyone else in the rock field that he was almost playing like a fusion drummer at times. Geddy brought the bass to the forefront of a rockband like never before, furthering what Chris Squire started. Hell, Geddy even won an award from a keyboard magazine for being the most improved player. Meanwhile, Alex continued being the best band player in rock and missing out on all the magazine awards. However, he is instantly identifiable and brought so much to Rush. My favourite Lifeson stuff is from the 80's, when he was using loads of chords to add colour and doing beautiful solos.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1506876376' post='3381706']
But nice to hear Vince Gill laying down some white boy blues as well... another hugely underrated guitarist, singer and writer. Damn, I hate both of them!!

:D
[/quote]

Strangely enough, I was listening to Vince Gills' album 'These Days' during the week. Top, top stuff, with a lot of very nice playing all round.

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1506874225' post='3381685']
I read the title of this thread and Billy Duffy came to mind straight away.
[/quote]

Me too!

Billy Duffy had one of the best live guitar tones I have ever heard. I have seen Buddy Guy as well who I would also add to this list, he is a legendary figure, but I don't think he has been treated as a guitar hero legend on the same level as Clapton, or B.B. King, which I personally believe he should be.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1506874645' post='3381690']
I think a lot of the pioneers of early rock n roll guitarists - Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Scotty Moore - are passed over for the 60s guitar heroes, when actually they were the ones who really helped shape things.
[/quote]

Agreed - I'd also put Cliff Gallup (Gene Vincent & the Bluecaps) in there as well. He was a huge influence on Jeff Beck.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1506886670' post='3381831']
Must also add Bob Mould, perhaps the single most under rated musician of the last thirty years.
[/quote]

Good call.

Rivers Cuomo did some great stuff on the first couple of Weezer albums. Pinkerton especially.

I immediately thought of John McGeoch (Magazine, Siouxsie and the Banshees, PIL, etc) - very well thought of amoungst musicians but pretty much unknown to the rest of the world, which is a real crime as he was definitely one of the most talented and influential guitarists of his time.

John Martyn - his songs/voice get recognition but his guitar playing can often get overlooked (great dropped tunings and experimenting with tape echo in the mid-70s are two things that spring to mind).

Phil Manzanera - mention of Bryan Ferry above immediately links him to Roxy Music along with Eno and Andy McKay. Manzanera added the ballsy r'n'r sound/feel to early Roxy albums to give them an added layer.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1506887917' post='3381845']
I immediately thought of John McGeoch (Magazine, Siouxsie and the Banshees, PIL, etc) - very well thought of amoungst musicians but pretty much unknown to the rest of the world, which is a real crime as he was definitely one of the most talented and influential guitarists of his time.
[/quote]

Beat me to it. Fantastically original player, but his playing always complemented the song rather than dominating it
Somewhat in the same vein I'd add Charlie Burchill (Simple Minds)

Larry LaLonde (Ler) from Primus. Les Claypool gets a lot of attention (and rightly so) but I'm always fascinated by what Ler does because without it Primus stuff would get really boring really quickly; his choice of harmony reminds me a lot of Andy Summers, but better.

I'm pretty sure few if any around here have even heard of him, but I'd nominate Blues guitarist Michael Messer. He never seems to appear in lists of greatest slide guitar players, but people who understand the genre rate him up there with the very best.

If anybody needs to know, here's a brief biog: [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Messer"]https://en.wikipedia.../Michael_Messer[/url]

Plenty of his stuff on youtube

Edited by leftybassman392

I'm also going to throw Andy Taylor's name into the ring. Some very solid (ie. tight, to the point and no unnecessary showing off) guitar work on the first three Duran Duran albums (and also on "Astronaut", their comeback album), some equally good playing (if a little more flamboyant) on the two Power Station albums plus a storming cameo on Robert Palmer's "Addicted to love".

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1506887917' post='3381845']
[/quote]

Yes I thought of him to and possible Keith Levene and James Honey-man Scott from the Pretenders. I personaly like those kind of guitarists that put a few layers to the music.