Why become a member? ×

Headstock Reshape & Full Refinish

donslow

Hey all,

I’m due to pick one of these up for a VERY good price in the next couple of days or so

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/San-Francisco-Semi-Acoustic-Bass-by-Gear4music-Red-Wine/1ICK

I have plans which I will progress through these very pages but I need some advice before I take to the tools and land of the unknown

Bit of background, I’ve “built” guitars and basses before, I’ve refinished guitars and basses before but this project is going to be all kinds of new for me so I’m hoping some of you guys might be kind enough to offer valuable advice before and as I go along

The plan.......

Add wood and reshape the headstock to a more “traditional” open book (ok, ok, G****n type) I’m thinking template on top, template on bottom with added wood sandwiched in between, would this be unnecessary if I’m refinishing after?

Strip and refinish the neck and body as the headstock rear won’t be matching any more

Advice needed / questions before I start......

What would be the best way to add wood, strip headstock as is and match wood to it, or, sand it square, add wood bigger than my template and sand according to template?

Best way to add wood so it won’t fall apart?

Use existing tuner holes or fill with dowels and drill new ones? How would drilling new ones affect any added wood? How would I know where to place new tuner holes if this be the course of action?

Stripping paint is no problem, refinishing is no problem but how would I refinish and still retain the binding round the body without removing it or does it HAVE to be removed? I’ve never worked with binding per Se so am new to this sort of thing

Happy to be corrected / told what to do / follow ANY advice that is within my capability

For this one, I’m in the hands of others as to what to do and how to do it

Any help and advice before I get started would be darn grand

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1506807787' post='3381309']
Cut the headstock to make it square, glue the additional wood required, cut to size...feel dissatisfied with the result, contact Andyjr1515 or Jabba the Gut to do the job properly....

See?? Easy.
[/quote]

I’ll be honest, I did think of them first but, admittedly without asking first, I fear my budget wouldn’t stretch to the deserved prices of such skilled craftsmanship, although, if and when it all goes wrong, I may not be left with much of a choice ha ha

I've done this many times when making a right handed neck left handed or in one case making and 8 string from a 4 string.

My method is to cut off the bit you want to change make it perfectly flat and square, then do the same to the bit of wood that you want to add. Glue the 2 together and when the glue is dry, clean up and shape and finish as desired. Works great.

I bought a box of maple offcuts on Ebay a few years ago and I've been working my way through that.

Just re-read your post, do as above to both sides of the head making a paddle and then shape and finish as desired.

Edited by bertbass

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1506862090' post='3381555']
I've done this many times when making a right handed neck left handed or in one case making and 8 string from a 4 string.

My method is to cut off the bit you want to change make it perfectly flat and square, then do the same to the bit of wood that you want to add. Glue the 2 together and when the glue is dry, clean up and shape and finish as desired. Works great.

I bought a box of maple offcuts on Ebay a few years ago and I've been working my way through that.

Just re-read your post, do as above to both sides of the head making a paddle and then shape and finish as desired.
[/quote]

I figured that would be the best course of action so thank you for clearing that up for me,

What do you find is the best glue for this sort of thing? Do you think there would be a need to insert dowels through the new wood into the old sideways to help straighten the joint?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys, should’ve said, some other person offered the seller a little more cash so he sold it before I managed To get to his place to pick it up despite the original agreement

It’s not something I would do myself as an agreed Sale is an agreed sale but as they say, cash is king and will come trumps if there’s more of it

Gutted!

Edited by donslow