Why become a member? ×

Mental Preparation for Gigs

cheddatom

Last night I got to the gig and I was really in the mood to play, and I played much better than I usually do, and really enjoyed it.

Often I'll not play so well and try to figure out why - maybe I didn't have enough sleep, or too much, or not enough to eat, or too much to drink... whatever. It seems to me that no matter what "state" I'm in, if I'm in the mood for the gig I play well, but if I feel like I've just turned up to do a job, I play badly

I'm hoping others are like this and have developed a technique for getting into the mood to play?

I know what you mean. When I'm not really 'in the mood', I find it helps to focus on one thing as a sort of pick me up - taking a couple of different basses on the gig for a bit of variety, putting on a fresh set of strings for that extra 'zing', wearing a snazzy shirt, stuff like that. I've just read that back and it all sounds rather shallow, but it does help! Or perhaps it's just me... :blink:

It's not really about expectations. Sometimes I know for sure it's going to be a great gig, but I'm still not in the right mood to play

If I'm not in the mood I have to really try hard to concentrate and focus, I get annoyed by the slightest mistakes, I get too tense which can hurt physically etc. If I'm in the mood then everything is just easy, and even if I'm making small mistakes, they're just fleeting insignificant moments

I'm mainly gigging on drums by the way, can't remember if I got this on bass

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1506778801' post='3381072']
It's not really about expectations. Sometimes I know for sure it's going to be a great gig, but I'm still not in the right mood to play

If I'm not in the mood I have to really try hard to concentrate and focus, I get annoyed by the slightest mistakes, I get too tense which can hurt physically etc. If I'm in the mood then everything is just easy, and even if I'm making small mistakes, they're just fleeting insignificant moments

I'm mainly gigging on drums by the way, can't remember if I got this on bass
[/quote]

I'm a drummer. After several years of 'pro' playing, I asked a friend, a drum teacher, if he could give me lessons. When we got down to it, and after auditioning my playing, he told me he didn't see much point in going over technical aspects, but instead set up a programme of breathing and relaxation/posture sessions instead. The difference astounded me; after a few weeks, I was much more able to get 'into the zone', simply by going through some elementary routines, not dissimilar to yoga, but without the meditation stuff. I should perhaps say that, from birth, I have had duff breathing (early tuberculosis...) and stamina issues (duff adrenal glands...), and these 'lessons' enabled me to make the most of what limited capacities I had in these matters. I'd suggest, therefore, seeing if there's something other than technique that you could look for in a good drum teacher, focusing on relaxation and posture rather than rudiments. Any mileage in such an approach..?
Hope this helps. B)

I just find I'm 'there' as soon as the first note rings out, my preparation is mainly practical stuff like making sure I have the right gear with me and know how to get to the venue. I think the setting up on stage focuses my mind on the gig as well, once the set up's complete, I can't wait to get started.

Never had a problem. As long as I have prepared for the gig by knowing the songs inside out, everything is good. I am always nervous before any gig so that probably sharpens the senses, but I love to gig, If I didnt gig I would not be playing. Playing and practice, for me, are merely the means to an end and the end is the gig. It has never been "Just a job" for me, its the only reason I play.

2 hours before I need to leave I begin to get ready - shower, shave, get changed, cook and eat dinner, sit down with a coffee then I finish off with whatever music I'm loving at the minute.

I hate rushing about so if I take my time preparing I am totally relaxed for the gig. I don't think about playing until I am on stage - after 30 years that just happens by itself :P

About to have dinner now and watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeUosbClag8

For me, preparation is key: firstly prepping my knowledge of the songs, set list etc. any rapid segues. Then it is to remove the obstacles: get my kit prepped, driving, parking, etc. all to remove those stress points which can be fixed. I think that mental prep is also important as knowing who's coming (especially if I have specifically invited or had word from them). But to both let my mind relax and focus and try not to let little niggles get in the way - such as the other band members foibles. Finally I have a routine of a change of shirt from the lugging in and set up to a gig. Also helps with the change to my mind mode.

Focus, smile and go.

I don't like a big meal beforehand - I feel that it sits like ballast. I drink water and usually Vimto or Mountain Dew. I use cycle bottles, helps minimise any spillage risks and easy to take sips.

I've thought that I've played badly, in the past, but then listened back to a video of the gig and it sounds fine. Usually I get the feeling that things aren't going well, or I'm not playing as well as I can, when the sound onstage is dodgy, or we're not getting much of a reaction from the audience.

I also feel that if I'm feeling positive, then the gig will go well.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1506767416' post='3380959']
Last night I got to the gig and I was really in the mood to play, and I played much better than I usually do, and really enjoyed it.

Often I'll not play so well and try to figure out why - maybe I didn't have enough sleep, or too much, or not enough to eat, or too much to drink... whatever. It seems to me that no matter what "state" I'm in, if I'm in the mood for the gig I play well, but if I feel like I've just turned up to do a job, I play badly

I'm hoping others are like this and have developed a technique for getting into the mood to play?
[/quote]

Interesting, because I do look at gigging as my job I'm always in the right mood and a good mood.

When you do this for a living there's no room to show up at a gig with a sour attitude about anything.

As a matter of fact I not only show up at all gigs with a great attitude I make it a point to help make sure all the band members are having a good time.

There's a misconception about looking at gigging as a job. It's not a bad thing, for me it's a good thing.

It's a job. IMO the most fun job a guy could have.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506783796' post='3381112']
I just find I'm 'there' as soon as the first note rings out, my preparation is mainly practical stuff like making sure I have the right gear with me and know how to get to the venue. I think the setting up on stage focuses my mind on the gig as well, once the set up's complete, I can't wait to get started.
[/quote]

Agreed,

Prep for every gig, arriving early enough to set up your own gear neat and clean. Making sure everything is in working order. After your gear is set, help others lug their gear, be a part of the team.

Blue

This is a really interesting thread. I pretty much take full responsibility for setting up pa and lights. On most gigs I can load in early and take my time. I try to get there ahead of the band as they all just get in the way. I find it therapeutic and if it goes well I really enjoy the whole night and relax into my playing. If we can't load in early and it becomes a rush then I can get pretty stressed and find that it totally buggers me up for the show and both my playing and enjoyment suffer. I'd love to have a method for calming myself quickly after a stressful setup.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1506806103' post='3381298']
This is a really interesting thread. I pretty much take full responsibility for setting up pa and lights. On most gigs I can load in early and take my time. I try to get there ahead of the band as they all just get in the way. I find it therapeutic and if it goes well I really enjoy the whole night and relax into my playing. If we can't load in early and it becomes a rush then I can get pretty stressed and find that it totally buggers me up for the show and both my playing and enjoyment suffer. I'd love to have a method for calming myself quickly after a stressful setup.
[/quote]

We show up 1.5 hours before we start our first set. That usually is plenty of time to set up. We scale lights an pa to the size of the bar/club.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506821024' post='3381352']

We show up 1.5 hours before we start our first set. That usually is plenty of time to set up. We scale lights an pa to the size of the bar/club.

Blue
[/quote]

This is pretty much the way we work too. However, as we play a lot of weddings it's very common for us to be sitting outside ready to start setting up whilst everything inside over runs. We then get the nod from the organisers to set up only to find they want us on in half an hour lol. That's why weddings command a bigger fee but that adds just a tiny bit more pressure.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1506785812' post='3381128']
2 hours before I need to leave I begin to get ready - shower, shave, get changed, cook and eat dinner, sit down with a coffee then I finish off with whatever music I'm loving at the minute.

I hate rushing about so if I take my time preparing I am totally relaxed for the gig. I don't think about playing until I am on stage - after 30 years that just happens by itself :P

About to have dinner now and watch this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeUosbClag8[/media]
[/quote]

Cheers for that wee VID clip. Not seen that one before.

I like to be relaxed and that means enough time to set up, sound check and then some time to relax before playing. I'm usually driving so no alcohol but bite to eat and a coffee or a juice of some kind.

Dave