Why become a member? ×

So .... I built a Tele

Angel

Not a build thread, a finished product thread. My second guitar build is very complex, it had been going wrong all year, and stalled badly. I decided to put it to one side and go for something simple to try and get inspired again, can't get much simpler than a Telecaster. As a twist, I'd recently seen a bunch of Tele's on t'interweb with 'crate' tops and I thought that they looked super cool. As it happened I had an old wine crate in the garage.

The crate top in question holds a special place in my heart. It was a Mateus Rose box from my uncle's old off-license. He was my dad's best friend but sadly he died from cancer 20 years ago. It's a nice reminder of my uncle and his shop - a fantastic aladdin's cave of curiosity to my young self.

Anyway, spec wise, the body was made from my old mahogany fireplace and some wood found in the street near where I work. Not sure what it is?? That wood also formed the neck. Ebony fretboard, home made clay dots, Kinman noiseless pickups. To say that I am pleased with the final guitar is an understatement, I absolutely love it! Here's some pix:

Ahh, this is lovely. Really amazing-looking.
As you say, it's an idea that's been done before with varying degrees of success, but I think this might be the best one I've seen. The little bit of relief in the text is great.

I've thought about it, and I'd like to try it, but I'm convinced I'd mess it up in the end, probably by sanding away the character of the piece of wood. You've kept all the charm of the wine crate.
Great stuff.

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1506874671' post='3381691']

I've thought about it, and I'd like to try it, but I'm convinced I'd mess it up in the end, probably by sanding away the character of the piece of wood. You've kept all the charm of the wine crate.
Great stuff.
[/quote]

The secret is don't touch the front! No sanding at all. I just finished it with satin cellulose spray, I even omitted doing a bevelled edge to keep the edge square.

Thanks for the kind words all. Another guitar underway at the moment then I'll be tackling a bass.