Why become a member? ×

Budget fretless?

geoham

I'm considering asking Santa for a fretless this year. It may end up getting used on a maximum of two songs on a two hour set, so I guess it'll mainly be a house toy! I want a Jazz style bass, though it doesn't need to look like the Bass of Doom.

From what I can see, I can drop ~£300 on a Squier or Vintage, or alternatively spent half that on a Harley Benton.

I know the Harley Benton stuff is well regarded 'for the money', but has anyone done a comparison between any of these?

Any other cheapies I'm missing?

Thanks

George

There's this catchily named Ibanez.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_gsr200bf_wnf.htm?sid=175f613757b09444cc2bbde90156599a

There's also the Sire v7 at around the £400-£500 mark, prices vary quite a bit depending on which one of the mind boggling selection of finishes you fancy.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=V7+fretless

Edited by Cato

Does it have to be a Jazz?

[url="https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/guitar/rpb-65-fretless/"]Revelation RPB65[/url]

[attachment=254580:RPB65-F-Red-front.png]

[url="https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/guitar/rpj-77-fretless/"]Revelation RPJ77[/url]

[attachment=254579:RPJ77-F-Sunburst-front.png]

Either of which you should be able to get for well under £300

Edited by mark76

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1506702649' post='3380565']
Does it have to be a Jazz?

[url="https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/guitar/rpb-65-fretless/"]Revelation RPB65[/url]

[attachment=254580:RPB65-F-Red-front.png]

[url="https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/guitar/rpj-77-fretless/"]Revelation RPJ77[/url]

[attachment=254579:RPJ77-F-Sunburst-front.png]

Either of which you should be able to get for well under £300
[/quote]

I could definitely deal with a PJ!

When I started out on fretless, it was a shoot-out between the Squier VMs (a P and a J) and a s/h Warwick/Rockbass Corvette. The Corvette cost a bit more but was a lovely bass with a Jazz-style pickup configuration; at the time it felt like a bit more bang-per-buck.

I really liked the Squiers, mind. The only thing I found a bit off-putting was the ebanol fingerboards. It felt and looked a bit odd for my tastes; having owned a couple more fretless basses since then I might now judge it differently. It may be worth keeping an eye out for a s/h Corvette if you like the Warwick/RB shape - but definitely try the Squier VMs.

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1507229928' post='3384137']
Really rate the Harley Benton jazz fretless. I got one recently - may be the 'Emprorers New Clothes' but it feels more enjoyable than the past VM Squires I've owned - can't go wrong for the money and very resonant :)
[/quote]
I think this is the kind of response I was hoping for! The Squier VM gets a lot of love, but I can’t help but feel it isn’t worth double the HB. Then again... it always is a game of diminishing returns with music gear!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1507230918' post='3384151']
I’m going to be downsizing my collection soon if you fancy a good deal on a Yamaha RBX270F...
[/quote]
Could be interested... for me an IM with details and I may suggest it to the wife!

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1507233205' post='3384173']

Could be interested... for me an IM with details and I may suggest it to the wife!
[/quote]

It needs a new jack socket that I've bought but not yet fitted. I'll give you a shout once I've fixed it up!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1507234439' post='3384183']
How about this one:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/312781-buy-one-get-one-free-2-bitsas-j-and-p-trades-welcome/page__p__3383442__hl__free__fromsearch__1#entry3383442
[/quote]
Collection from London kind of kills this one dead for me. Looks a good enough deal though!

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1507232970' post='3384170']

I think this is the kind of response I was hoping for! The Squier VM gets a lot of love, but I can’t help but feel it isn’t worth double the HB. Then again... it always is a game of diminishing returns with music gear!
[/quote]

I used to have a Squier VM fretless and I thought it was very good for a budget instrument. It had a level of fit and finish that other manufacturer's around that price point just can't compete with. I had a Classic Vibe jazz after the VM and that was even better. There are proper Fender basses that could have done with the CV bridge!

That said, shortly after owning the Squier I ended up with a Fender Jaco Pastorius fretless jazz which was on another level entirely.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1507316164' post='3384782']
I have a Harley Benton JB40-FL, the poor man's bass of doom I call it.

It makes 'that' sound, now I have the right rounds on it and the action just nice.

Havign previously a MIM Jazz, I wouldn't ever swap back and I wouldn't play or sound any better with any other bass.

(I bought mine S/H for £60).
[/quote]

£60! I never find bargains like that!

I think the weak spot of the HB’s are the electrics (pots). I soldered up some old CTS pots I had lying around yesterday and the difference really surprised me. The stock pick ups (Rockfields (?)) are actually very good too; I swapped them out for some custom made vanderends that I had and there was little to no difference.

I’ve said it before in a NBD but they’re great basses for the money with a one pice ash body - I certainly wouldn’t swap mine for the Squier model, not that the Squiers are bad basses in anyway but I’m really happy with the HB, maybe I was lucky and got a good one :) The Vintage (brand) Jaco relic models look tasty too and are often in the ‘budget’ price range.

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1507388933' post='3385159']
I think the weak spot of the HB’s are the electrics (pots). I soldered up some old CTS pots I had lying around yesterday and the difference really surprised me.
[/quote]

I genuinely find this really interesting. I’d always had the view that a pot (particularly when fully open) had a negligible impact to tone. I never tested it, I just can’t understand why it would. Could you describe how it was different?

I do know that better quality pots would last longer, have a more consistent and quieter sweep and just feel a bit more sturdy - so I’d never consider upgrading as wasteful.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1507368224' post='3384963']
£60! I never find bargains like that!
[/quote]

Spotted it on Gumtree, down in Kilmarnock.

The lad had bought it new, stuck some flats on it, and really didn't get on with it.

I stuck new rounds on, tweaked the truss rod to suit, and there it was. That sound.

My only complaint is this.

Obviously, these look cooler with a more 'live in' look.

I'd never intentionally 'relic' an instrument, but I do sometimes leave it lying around in the hope it might pick up a little bit of 'life' about it.
Regrettably, the finish is so hard and thick, it still looks mint.