Why become a member? ×

For Those Who Love To Gig

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506639912' post='3380175'] How do guys like me, I can't be the only one, deal with this overall lack of interest or compassion for the 4 gig a week lifestyle? Not happy. Blue [/quote]

I don't really understand this. What are you unhappy about? The fact that not too many musicians want to gig 4 nights a week? The real question is whether there is a [b]demand [/b]for bands to play 4 nights a week. If there is, then bands will be hired and the work will be available to those willing to do it. The fewer musicians willing to do it, the easier it should be for you to get that work. It might involve playing in several bands, but that's the life of the pro musician. Are you really suggesting that there are bars wanting to put on live music 4 or more nights a week and are unable to do so because they can't find bands willing to play?? Maybe the thread should be questioning how many gigs per month people are interested in attending, rather than how many they are willing to play.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1506683213' post='3380377']
Maybe the thread should be questioning how many gigs per month people are interested in attending, rather than how many they are willing to play.
[/quote]

That is a very good point. I'm not sure I'd go to four a week even though my local is but 50yds away.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1506669957' post='3380237']
i have a full time traditional job, but would gig every night if i could.
having other things doesn't always mean we become indifferent to gigging.

i crave the stage, but i haven't played live for 3 years because i haven't found a band i considered to be anywhere near a gigging band (and in all cases i turned out to be correct).
[/quote]

THATS the spirit.....

being in a cab band ? im with "delberthot" iv always done it, always will,
I will put on a red nose, wear size 25 different coloured shoes, call myself coco and put a hoop in my pants if thay are going to pay me.
and i will enjoy it ! im there to entertain............ i do draw the line at facepaint tho.. :)
it also pays for my funk band which is my "do it for the love" band.
all in all i can say cabaret has been pritty good to me,
so..... yea, as often as i can.

I know guys that post things on FB about playing here this evening , playing there that evening and I would think " wow , you lucky gits. All these regular gigs.." But after delving deeper its mostly playing for £25.00-30.00 each, in a trio, in some almost empty bar playing mostly to their personal friends group who are there to support and raise the £90.00-100 that pays them. The bar staff would otherwise be bored or the bar itself closed that evening. They do it to help convince themselves they are a struggling self employed musician. They also tend to have some flat share with no real life commitments outside of paying rent which I suspect most of is paid via some sort of hand out. They are however young and free so good luck to them and being free means maybe their ship comes in and they can get onboard.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1506685433' post='3380401']
I know guys that post things on FB about playing here this evening , playing there that evening and I would think " wow , you lucky gits. All these regular gigs.." But after delving deeper its mostly playing for £25.00-30.00 each, in a trio, in some almost empty bar playing mostly to their personal friends group who are there to support and raise the £90.00-100 that pays them. The bar staff would otherwise be bored or the bar itself closed that evening. They do it to help convince themselves they are a struggling self employed musician. They also tend to have some flat share with no real life commitments outside of paying rent which I suspect most of is paid via some sort of hand out. They are however young and free so good luck to them and being free means maybe their ship comes in and they can get onboard.
[/quote]

Ah, the notorious "look at my amazing life!" filter that Facebook puts on everything. It's quite deceptive, isn't it?

I had a similar experience when a band we're quite friendly with went to the US. A certain member of my band who I should probably stop moaning about started kicking off, bleating about how "they're touring the US, why aren't we touring the US? We need to tour the US. When are we going to tour the US?"

Of course, when you look at the photos that come back, there are lots of backstage selfies, and the occasional shot of them onstage, but no pictures of any audiences. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that maybe those venues were about a little on the empty side. Through casual conversation with one of them, I did manage to ascertain out that yes, the audiences had been thin on the ground; no, the tour hadn't exactly been a massive success.

Obviously I felt bad for them, and I hope that subsequent visits go/have gone better for them - they're an amazing band and deserve to do well. But I did also feel quite vindicated pointing this out to CertainMemberOfBandWhoIMustStopMoaningAbout and explaining that this was why I wasn't prepared to use up all my annual leave to attempt an ill-fated tour of somewhere we've never been just for the glory of it.

As I said before, I think small audiences are a sign of the times and not always a sign of failure. But maybe they're a sign that if you work a little harder things might improve. OK, I know you're unlikely to counteract a bad promoter or any of the various black-holes of apathy in this country, but you just might gradually start some momentum if you have a positive attitude to every gig.

One gig Police played on their first US tour was to 5 people. They gave it the full beans and one of the audience turned out to be a local radio DJ, who played them non stop afterwards. They could have switched off and "gone through the motions" but they didn't and that gig started the ball rolling. I played to 5 people once and we got fired. (Added for balance and a reality check!)

[i]>>>[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]How do guys like me, I can't be the only one, deal with this overall lack of interest or compassion for the 4 gig a week lifestyle?[/font][/color][/i]
I wouldn't worry about it, as has been said, that means more work for the guys who do wanna gig four nights a week, right?
I'm happiest when I've got two bands on the go, especially if they're of different styles - for me this keeps everything feeling fresh too.
Good luck!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1506687635' post='3380431']
I played to 5 people once and we got fired.
[/quote]

Pah! That's nothing!

I've played to zero people. Literally. There were no punters at all, so both the bar staff went outside for a fag.

There was no one at all in the entire pub except the band.

We just kept playing ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1506696478' post='3380513']
Pah! That's nothing!

I've played to zero people. Literally. There were no punters at all, so both the bar staff went outside for a fag.

We just kept playing ...
[/quote]

That's happened to me too, there was a big event on in town and no one came to the gig. We played both sets, the landlord apologised, said he'd enjoyed it (sat outside in the evening sun!), paid us in full and rebooked us!

Pah! That's nothing!

We just kept playing ...
[/quote]
i've had that, it becomes a stage set up practice session then

can be annoying if its 2 and a half hours drive away tho....

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1506665728' post='3380205']
Why play four gigs with one band? You could perhaps play four gigs with two or three different ones. I appreciate there are difficulties with booking clashes but it could be possible.
[/quote]

It definitely causes booking problems. I'm not saying playing in more than one band isn't a viable option. However if your not networked finding those opportunities would be a job in itself.

As much as I gig and with as many people that see me you'd think I'd get calls or inquiries on my availability.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1506661736' post='3380197']

Blue, I'd say you're limiting your own options by refusing to play in a 'start up' band and looking for a band who fit your criteria. Time to start your own band with musicians who share your passion. Network with the bars and venues you already play at and get second gigs there with your new band.
[/quote]

Over here 99% of all start up bands fall apart before their first gig. I guess my band was a start up 12 years ago. One of the rare local success stories.

Blue

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1506699417' post='3380537']

i've had that, it becomes a stage set up practice session then

can be annoying if its 2 and a half hours drive away tho....
[/quote]

It can happen over here on the bar band circuit. Play any bar gig and the actual bar is in a separate room from where your band is playing, your doomed to playing to an empty room.

Blue

Seems like for those of you that love gigging do it by playing in multiple bands. Problem is if your in 2 bands and both gig a lot you will have schedule conflicts.

Honesty gigging does not seem to be a priority for most band opportunities I see. As a matter of fact it's clear that many are presented as "for fun only" opportunities.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506701091' post='3380546']

It definitely causes booking problems. I'm not saying playing in more than one band isn't a viable option. However if your not networked finding those opportunities would be a job in itself.

As much as I gig and with as many people that see me you'd think I'd get calls or inquiries on my availability.

Blue
[/quote]
Maybe that's the way to go, put it around that you are available as a dep. Then main band takes priority but depping could fill some of the gaps. Not sure what scope there is for that to work where you are.

Pah! That's nothing!

We just kept playing ...
[/quote]

Oh yeah? Well, once I played a gig to a negative audience! Yes, that's right! Not only was there no-one in the audience, and no-one behind the bar, but there was no-one in the band either! The entire venue was empty, lights off, doors locked. Beat that, mate.

S.P.

If you really push it and live in a densely populated area, you can do the am dram circuit. Will get you 7 days a week work, bump it up with a bit of teaching and just hope the MD is keen on keeping the same band once or twice a year. I've got a few friends who do it, but it's dependent on all sorts of variables and I don't fancy it myself.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506702120' post='3380558']
Seems like for those of you that love gigging do it by playing in multiple bands. Problem is if your in 2 bands and both gig a lot you will have schedule conflicts.
[/quote]

Maybe find some guys who - like you - have regular 4 gig weekends and just do mid-week gigs. Not many mid-week gigs? Find a bar owner who'll let you set up your gear on quiet nights, promote it yourselves and do it for tips.

If you went that route you'd reduce conflicts by going out as a three-piece. So, plan: find a singer-guitarist with a vocal PA, buddy up with him and advertise for a drummer. Find a couple of bars who'll have you for nix. Bang together a setlist of songs all three of you know. Couple of rehearsals just to find your collective groove, go out and wing it.

What have you got to lose? :)

Edited by skankdelvar

It depends on the type of gigs. I like gigging and a 4 gig weekend would be fine for me but am not keen on playing dodgy pubs, with a dodgy clientele (The Artic Bar in Dundee anybody?).
Decent audiences, in decent venues, for decent money will always keep my enthusiasm levels up. And you can keep them coming - the more the merrier.
The drummer I play with is so popular, that 5 gig weekends are regular thing for him and he also has a full time job and is married (he took his wife on a 2 weeks jaunt to Las Vegas recently, with his gig money, to keep her sweet).

Edited by gjones

Pah! That's nothing!

We just kept playing ...
[/quote]

I've done that. I was playing in a duo with a guitarist/singer. There was just one other person in the room and he was a drunk. About 20 mins into the set he started howling like a dog and eventually the pathetic picture, of a duo playing to an empty room, except for a howling drunk, just got to me and I put my bass down, went over to him, marched him to the door and threw him out into the street.

Then I went back and finished the set.

Astoundingly, the landlady asked us back the next week but we politely declined.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1506712812' post='3380671']
It depends on the type of gigs. I like gigging and a 4 gig weekend would be fine for me but am not keen on playing dodgy pubs, with a dodgy clientele (The Artic Bar in Dundee anybody?).
Decent audiences, in decent venues, for decent money will always keep my enthusiasm levels up. And you can keep them coming - the more the merrier.
The drummer I play with is so popular, that 5 gig weekends are regular thing for him and he also has a full time job and is married (he took his wife on a 2 weeks jaunt to Las Vegas recently, with his gig money, to keep her sweet).
[/quote]

I like the more upscale gigs as much as anyone else, and we get our share of them in our busy festival and fair season in the summer. However at the end of the day I'm fine with as many $500.00 bar gigs we can get.

Playing The Road House this Sunday. It's a 3:00-7:00 large biker bar gig in the rural heartland. We always do well there.

Dave, I think you would like this gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

Would love to gig many nights a week as my own job, but we would have to be pretty big to make up the loss of money from not working, so I doubt it is viable.
Currently I play in a cover band, I wouldn't want to do that many nights a week, but in an original band I would (an original where i had had some input, not just covers of stuff they had already written before I joined).