Why become a member? ×

Earplugs?

radiophonic

• 2 weeks later...

I saw my audiologist today for my annual check up. I mentioned about dropping the attenuation of my Elacin's from to 15 to 9db. I'm happy to report that he didn't throw up his hands in horror, in fact he showed little reaction at all. Maybe he doesn't care and hopes that I'll damage my hearing so I'll need to get a hearing aid sooner than later. However, I'm going to assume that he's a reasonably caring professional and that my plan isn't dumb. On the downside, my hearing has degraded from last year, more so on the left side :(

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1507644584' post='3386950']
I saw my audiologist today for my annual check up. I mentioned about dropping the attenuation of my Elacin's from to 15 to 9db. I'm happy to report that he didn't throw up his hands in horror, in fact he showed little reaction at all. Maybe he doesn't care and hopes that I'll damage my hearing so I'll need to get a hearing aid sooner than later. However, I'm going to assume that he's a reasonably caring professional and that my plan isn't dumb. On the downside, my hearing has degraded from last year, more so on the left side :(
[/quote]it's a tough call when your hearing is deteriorating, do you risk further loss by using a less blocking ear plug or do you put up with not hearing what's going off properly, as I said earlier I opted for less protection and my hearing hasn't got any worse over the last few years ,I do the online test regularly https://hearingtest.online/

I use Auritech Music with my band and Auritech Travel on the bike, the Christmas tree type, not the custom fit ones.

I've no real evidence that they work beyond the fact that I don't have ringing in my ears after either activity!

Edited by Si600

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1506779722' post='3381081']
Lowering the level of protection is not a good way to go IMO.
[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more. What you need is to get the overall level down below about 85dBA. At this level hearing will not be affected even if you expose yourself to it for 8 hours a day. Its also worth remembering that a 3dB cut represents about a halving of the overall energy level. 80dB is about what you would be exposed to standing next to a busy road, 90 dB is when that big lorry goes past.

However, if you experience any discomfort due to that bloke hitting the crash cymbal while practicing you are likely to be in the 110 dB range, so a cut of 25 to 30 would be appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a pair of Senner earplugs for a few months now but I'm going to splash out on a custom moulded pair. I think my ears are either too big or too small for the Senners and whilst trying to get them to fit I must have compacted some ear wax into my ears. I ended up with ringing in my ears then almost total hearing loss in my left ear. It's cleared up now but the thought of that being permanent has pretty much opened my budget to whatever it takes to protect my ears.

So I'm considering getting the ones moulded to my ears so that I know they'll fit properly. The ACS ones are mentioned a lot on here and it was interesting to hear about the Specsavers ones being good too.