Why become a member? ×

Earplugs?

radiophonic

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1506694300' post='3380488']

I have no idea. I don't analyse them. There's probably not a big difference between the ER's and PRO's but I wanted a second set, got a discount voucher last Christmas and bought the latest model.
[/quote]Ah ha! Can't fault your logic there. Thanks for the reply, I'll try some internet exploration.

[quote name='shamrock198804' timestamp='1506636390' post='3380157']
I've been using Alpine Music Safe Pro for many years now and I couldn't be more happy with them. Note that their price is much more reasonable (for such a simple item) than ones recommend above.
[/quote]

I use these ones myself. I bought 2 packs so I could have one set with the silver and one set with the gold plugs. Do the job fine.

Aside from sounding better do fancy expensive earplugs actually offer better protection than standard 5p foam plugs?

I grab the foam ones from work and they are supposedly designed to be used on building sites so must offer decent protection? Or am I just kidding myself and I might as well be using nothing...

I use Doc's Pro Plugs (about £12 a pair). I think they were originally designed for swimmers, but they work for me - I can hold a conversation without taking them out.

Note - you need to download and use the size chart to work out which size will fit you best.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1506760521' post='3380893']
Aside from sounding better do fancy expensive earplugs actually offer better protection than standard 5p foam plugs?

I grab the foam ones from work and they are supposedly designed to be used on building sites so must offer decent protection? Or am I just kidding myself and I might as well be using nothing...
[/quote]
They will probably attenuate the sound pressure on your eardrum fairly well. The tuning or soundquality is where differences are made.

I tried many types. Today I use molded plugs with the ER filters. I switch between 15dB and 25dB. These are overall best.
Among the budget plugs, I find Planet Waves (PWPEP1Pacato Hearing Protection) best. The filter on these is good and the plug fit the ear canal reasonably well. Many budget types seem to be designed for smaller ear canal widths.

I have a set of etymotic er 20 I think , I haven't used them in ages as we used to use a big rehearsal space and set up as a gig so the back line went flying past with no real issue, we now use studio type rooms , which is massively convenient for set up times , it does mean though that we effectively face each other so i have started using the etymotics again.
Much better than the H&S ear bungs , as I still have an excellent mix getting to my ears , just significantly quieter .

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1506692345' post='3380475']
I've been using ER15s for absolutely ages, but I am now noticing a deadening of the top end of my rig's sound when I wear them (which is always in a band situation). This may be down to my own top end loss being accentuated by the Elacins, either way I'm thing of changing the filters. What's the difference between the ERs and the PROs?
[/quote]this my problem too, I've got hearing loss at around 6K Hz (not through playing in a band, work place damage and old age I think) which I wear hearing aids for, ACS moulded just cut out too much around this area leaving everything very muddy sounding, I do wear one, the ear next to the drummer, but use a 'Christmas tree' one in the other ear, seems to work for me

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1506765608' post='3380945']
this my problem too, I've got hearing loss at around 6K Hz (not through playing in a band, work place damage and old age I think) which I wear hearing aids for, ACS moulded just cut out too much around this area leaving everything very muddy sounding, I do wear one, the ear next to the drummer, but use a 'Christmas tree' one in the other ear, seems to work for me
[/quote]It's good to know one is not alone. I'm going to try a lower attenuation filter (9db) and see what's what.

[/quote]

I used the foam plugs for years too, but I had to stop using them for music as you couldn't actually hear what was going on properly. The ACS ER's have a filter in them, so that they not only attenuate the sounds, but they don't drown out certain frequencies, and allow you to hear what's going on better.

I stopped using the foam one's on the bike, because I got sick of having plugs that either never fitted properly, or just lost their "elasticity". The reusable "Christmas tree" one's are much better in both situations.

My only regret is not using them sooner, I might have fended off the tinnitus for a few more years.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1506765608' post='3380945']
this my problem too, I've got hearing loss at around 6K Hz (not through playing in a band, work place damage and old age I think) which I wear hearing aids for, ACS moulded just cut out too much around this area leaving everything very muddy sounding, I do wear one, the ear next to the drummer, but use a 'Christmas tree' one in the other ear, seems to work for me
[/quote]

So long as the 'Christmas tree' is protecting that ear from damage. This is where I got caught out. Used the 'Christmas tree' ones for a couple of years, in the belief that I was protecting my hearing, but the onset of tinnitus and an examination by an audiologist indicated that these plugs were not offering proper protection.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1506742296' post='3380812']
anything is better than the loud permanent tinnitus and hearing loss I suffer from, seriously.

Your hearing is priceless, buy the very best you can afford, maybe even more than you can afford :)
[/quote]

This post should be enlarged, framed, and put on display very visibly at the entrance of BassChat.

There are better and worse earplugs, some may prefer one type, others another... there's always a degree of compromise and we'll rarely find one that is preferred by everybody. But you need to protect your hearing, for when it's gone, it's gone.

[/quote]

There's two issues: protection and sound quality.
Protection is important for your health. Any of the ones available do work. If you want to improve how you hear the music with the earplugs on, then that's where the other types come in handy. Some do not improve things enough for my liking, and others do. My custom moulded ACS Pro offer great isolation and the sound is very clear and crisp. They cost a fair amount more than 5p. My Flare Isolate ones offer more protection than is needed, and for some reason they work very well musically for me: they let in enough treble and mids so that I can hear people talking, and guitars, and hihats and brass... but the bottom end/low mids are attenuated just right so that the bass is not muddy and I can hear myself better with those than with anything else. They only cost £25 and to me that's worth it as I get the protection AND enjoyment of the music is vastly improved over the simple foam ones. But not everybody likes them.
If you are happy with your foam ones... then carry on, but if you think you'd like to hear the music a bit better... worth investigating others

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1506779722' post='3381081']
Lowering the level of protection is not a good way to go IMO.
[/quote]We're not a loud band by any stretch of the imagination and I could not wear anything were it not for the occasional peaks (see cymbals and occasional cheesy synth tones) so a drop in the protection might not be as bad as it sounds. But I do take your point.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1506788997' post='3381155']
) so a drop in the protection might not be as bad as it sounds. But I do take your point.
[/quote]
no, no you don't. A drop in protection is very dangerous, don't risk it

why don't you stop using seat belts, I mean you'll be able to exit the car faster.....thru the windscreen

Perhaps 'drop in protection' was not the right phrase. Given the relatively low levels envisaged, maybe 'drop in attenuation' would have been more appropriate. Still protected, but able to hear what's going on. After all, in a room with just quiet conversation, -20db earplugs would not be suitable, despite them 'protecting' one's hearing.
Just sayin'.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1506856066' post='3381495']

no, no you don't. A drop in protection is very dangerous, don't risk it

why don't you stop using seat belts, I mean you'll be able to exit the car faster.....thru the windscreen
[/quote]
Not a great comparison but I appreciate your concern.