Why become a member? ×

Fan Fret Question.

skelf

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]I have been contemplating the following for a while but not being much of a guitar player I was hoping for some insight from the forum.[/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]Using a program called Fret Find it is possible to draw up various different fret layouts. I use this program to make fret templates for normal fret setups.[/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]So one of the options is to make the bridge the perdendicualr fret which in turn lets you use a normal bridge which seems like a good idea to me. However it does change the layout of the frets compared to what would be regarded as a normal fanfret. So the question is does the layout I am suggesting work for you as a guitar player.[/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]I have attached a picture of the fret layout. This particular fan is 26.5 to 25".[/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif] Thoughts would be appreciated.[/font][/color]

[url="https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4333/36689298213_c60e197bce_b.jpg"]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4333/36689298213_c60e197bce_b.jpg[/url][color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

I can see why that would work for guitar. It could make chords down the bottom more comfortable & it retains the upper frets in a position that most guitarists are used to for soloing.
I'm still not convinced that fanned fret is something a guitarist needs for tone, unless it is to shorten the scale. They don't need extra length in the lower strings to improve bass, that's us bassists job! :D

Might not be of help, since it's not feedback on guitars - but Novax do provide aftermarket fan-fret bass necks for standard J/P basses. As far as I can tell, it's the same idea as you're describing - perpendicular "fret" is in fact at the bridge.

If they're making them, I presume there must be (some) demand for them... thought I've not seen anyone here or on TalkBass mention using one.

[quote name='kumimajava' timestamp='1506579839' post='3379615']
Might not be of help, since it's not feedback on guitars - but Novax do provide aftermarket fan-fret bass necks for standard J/P basses. As far as I can tell, it's the same idea as you're describing - perpendicular "fret" is in fact at the bridge.

If they're making them, I presume there must be (some) demand for them... thought I've not seen anyone here or on TalkBass mention using one.
[/quote]
Dingwall basses were one of the first basses to use them. There's now quite a few luthiers & builders putting fan fret options available. Even Ibanez have fan fret basses.

Many of the fan fret basses have the perpendicular fret about the 9th fret.

Edited by xgsjx