Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker Singlecut 6 fanned fret

peted

[quote name='peted' post='587135' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:26 AM']I don't think it's going to be ready for the next SE Basschat Bash at the beginning of October, so won't be able to show it off :) You'll all have to wait until the S.E.B.B. 2010 to see it in person. Hopefully I'll also have had enough practice to do the bass justice! :lol:[/quote]

I doubt youd need that much readjusting to the fanned frets - I found mine quite comfortable, and I only had it for a few days before Merton pinched it.

Love the stealth singlecut look! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mikey R' post='587163' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:01 AM']I doubt youd need that much readjusting to the fanned frets - I found mine quite comfortable, and I only had it for a few days before Merton pinched it.

Love the stealth singlecut look! :)[/quote]
Thanks for the vote of confidence. This bass has a lot more 'firsts' for me other than the fanned frets - 6 strings, 18V pre-amp, EMGs, Singlecut shape.

All features that I've tried and liked in shops or friends basses, but never in basses I've owned myself. I'm planning for this bass to keep me locked away practicing for a very long time.

[quote name='peted' post='579546' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:55 PM']These just in. Oh. My. God.
[attachment=31487:DSC_2121.jpg]
[attachment=31488:DSC_2123.jpg][/quote]

I was at Jon's this morning to see him about my new build, I saw your bass in the flesh. It looks awesome, your gonna love it.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Mikey R' post='610122' date='Sep 27 2009, 04:57 PM']Hey Pete, any news on this one?[/quote]
No news since the last lot of photos, though I'm guessing that it's probably very close to being finished. I reckon that the end of October shouldn't be too unrealistic for a collection date (I'm still not pushing Jon to set a finish date).

[quote name='Johngh' post='590771' date='Sep 5 2009, 04:20 PM']I was at Jon's this morning to see him about my new build, I saw your bass in the flesh. It looks awesome, your gonna love it.[/quote]

I was in at Mr Shuker's place a couple of weeks ago when I was on holiday in the Peaks - that fan fret bass is stunning, really stood out among the others I saw. Mrs Doc B thought it was rather beautiful too. I'm finalising the spec of my own Shuker bass after Mrs DB suggested getting 'the bass I've always wanted'.

Shuker's Uberhorn fretless is a stunning piece of work, along with the black single cut 5 string with the quilt maple top that are in the 'Stock Basses' section of his site.

[quote name='Doc B' post='612817' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:39 AM']I was in at Mr Shuker's place a couple of weeks ago when I was on holiday in the Peaks - that fan fret bass is stunning, really stood out among the others I saw. Mrs Doc B thought it was rather beautiful too. I'm finalising the spec of my own Shuker bass after Mrs DB suggested getting 'the bass I've always wanted'.

Shuker's Uberhorn fretless is a stunning piece of work, along with the black single cut 5 string with the quilt maple top that are in the 'Stock Basses' section of his site.[/quote]

Thanks for the compliments! I'm getting very excited indeed knowing that my bass is so close to completion. Funnily enough this is also a bass I agreed with my missus to be 'the bass I've always wanted' :)

I really hope that I can collect it in person when it's finished. Not just to thank Jon personally and shake his hand, but also to have a go on that Uberhorn fretless - my eyes popped out of my head when I first saw it on his website. Gorgeous and a brilliant idea, even though I don't play fretless!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='peted' post='587279' date='Sep 2 2009, 10:02 AM']Thanks for the vote of confidence. This bass has a lot more 'firsts' for me other than the fanned frets - 6 strings, 18V pre-amp, EMGs, Singlecut shape.

All features that I've tried and liked in shops or friends basses, but never in basses I've owned myself. I'm planning for this bass to keep me locked away practicing for a very long time.[/quote]

That bass looks great and if my six stringed necks are anything to go by you,ll love playing it.

[quote name='wizbat' post='638262' date='Oct 27 2009, 06:10 PM']That bass looks great and if my six stringed necks are anything to go by you,ll love playing it.[/quote]

Thanks. I loved your twin Rick-a-likes when I saw the photos. The white finish on the back of them even had me thinking of changing the spec of my own bass from black to white gloss, but I decided to stick to my original plan in the end.

I spent ages trying to find some way to tell your two basses apart. A bit like a spot-the-difference competition. Did Jon even cut the facing woods from the same piece? I can't even find any difference in the gorgeous wood grains.

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='639108' date='Oct 28 2009, 02:40 PM']any closer to being completed????[/quote]
I don't know as I haven't heard anything since my last email from Jon on the 1st September. I'm planning on giving him a call sometime next week to find out if there's been any progress. I was secretly hoping that this would be complete by the end of this month as a 12 month build sounded like a nice round number. If the bass is just resting at the moment then I'll hope to get it before Christmas, if there's still work to do then I'm not going to hold out getting it before next year.

Last I saw of it was about a week and a half ago when I was at Jon's. It looked mostly done to be honest, but I think he just had 'finishing' to do to it, like flatting back the gloss and doing more layers etc. There were no hardware or pickups in it at the time.

Don't know how much use that is!

Got an email from Jon last night. Sounds like mine is about 3rd in his 'finishing queue'. I should get some photos soon showing off the birds-eye maple fingerboard (only photos I've got of this so far have it covered by masking tape).

I'm hoping that it will be finished early next year.

[quote name='peted' post='645022' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:55 AM']Got an email from Jon last night. Sounds like mine is about 3rd in his 'finishing queue'. I should get some photos soon showing off the birds-eye maple fingerboard (only photos I've got of this so far have it covered by masking tape).

I'm hoping that it will be finished early next year.[/quote]

That's a shame dude, that'll over a year since you started the thread :)
You never know though, Jon might pull it out the bag and surprise you :rolleyes:
It's gonna be a hell of a bass regardless of when it arrives though!

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='646187' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:01 PM']That's a shame dude, that'll over a year since you started the thread :)[/quote]
No shame at all! I've been paying off the balance in small amounts each month and having the build last at least 12 months has made the whole thing far more affordable than spending the equivalent amount in a shop :rolleyes:

I find it strangely comforting that Jon is taking such time and effort in getting the finish just right. One thing I've noticed with his basses is that each new generation seems to get better and better finishes (comparing his early stuff to Dan's Doodle, and then the new models on his Stock page).

A bass with this spec MUST be worth waiting for :lol:

• 1 month later...