Why become a member? ×

Phat Phuk B replacement??

andydye

So I'm looking for a Phat Phuk B to give that bit of fur around my p-bass tone on certain songs, but, you can't get 'em anymore, I was wanting something before this coming weekend but that's not looking massively likely now, what I'd like to know though...is...is there anything out there now that does a very similar job / produces the same kind of effect, not drive, not fuzz, just a bit of fizz? hairy clarity maybe?

http://www.wrenandcuff.com/site/the-stompboxes-old/phat-phuk-b

https://youtu.be/Q_ZcaazhecI

Edited by andydye

These can all achieve a similar grit to the Phat Phuk:

Fairfield Barbershop or Accountant (the Accountant is a dirty compressor but I use it like a dirty boost)

TC Spark (full size version, the mini one is clean with no gain control)

RMI Sonic Spark

Tonefactor Cream Pie (can sometimes be found lurking in the classifieds)

Creation Audio Grizzly

Smallsound/Bigsound Mini (I think there's a used one around these parts still for sale)

Southampton Fifth Gear

Cheapest and most readily available option is the TC, it can hang with the rest tonally, a bit of a bargain really!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1506417598' post='3378507']
These can all achieve a similar grit to the Phat Phuk:

TC Spark (full size version, the mini one is clean with no gain control)

Cheapest and most readily available option is the TC, it can hang with the rest tonally, a bit of a bargain really!
[/quote]

I briefly had the full sized spark boost and wasn't keen on the tone of the drive. Can't really put my finger on exactly what it was about it that I didn't like but it just didn't grab me. But that's not to say that it won't be exactly what you are looking for.

However, I got much better results (for my tastes) with the TC Electronic MojoMojo which is fantastic at low gain for adding a hint of warmth/fur/hair/whatever you want to call it. The Mojo has a deep low end and loads of mids present too. I use if for dirty, vintage Geezler Butler style sounds B) . It doesn't really do the Tech 21/Darkglass scooped sound, it's pretty much the opposite to those tonally, but that suits my needs better. And best of all, you can pick one up new for under £50.

There's a few in that list I didn't actually like but I just recommended them because they can sound very similar to the Phat Phuk (which I have bought and sold twice now!).

I've heard a lot of love for the MojoMojo actually, I should try one out. Quite a different feel to the PP but it does sound like a great low gain OD.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...