Why become a member? ×

Pick up advice needs

Dropzone

Howdy gang, this is my story so far. I have an Ibanez K5 that I love to play and plays really well but the pick up and electronics are really weak. I have bought a squire precision 5 string that sounds amazing but it just isn't as sexy as the K5 (which has big ass soap bars in there.

What is the easiest an most realistic way of getting the precision sound from the Ibanez and not have it look awful?

Ta

Mike

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1506351557' post='3378119']
Apparantly there are known for being a bit rubbish. I bloody hate active electronics. I am happy to live with one pick up and fit new electronics. Although how do I decide between neck and bridge???
[/quote]

The first thing you'll want to do is measure the size of the pickups to ensure that an alternative will drop straight in, as that will soon scupper your chances of changing things out should you have to carve holes in the body.

Edited by dood

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1506351557' post='3378119']
Apparantly there are known for being a bit rubbish. I bloody hate active electronics. I am happy to live with one pick up and fit new electronics. Although how do I decide between neck and bridge???
[/quote]

Ah OK, I wasn't aware they had a 'rep' for that. I suppose if that is the case, then there's bound to be others who have modified / upgraded...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1506351793' post='3378127']
The first thing you'll want to do is measure the size of the pickups to ensure that an alternative will drop straight in, as that will soon scupper your chances of changing things out should you have to carve holes in the body.
[/quote]

Yep, if you're gonna change the pickups, then this will save you a lot of time and heartache.

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1506352282' post='3378136']
Don't I have to join muse if I do that? I think that might be a cost too high ;-)
[/quote]

Hmm, good point. Lets get a trem system in there instead. That will really upset your guitarist..