Why become a member? ×

MOD Duo...

Steve Lawson

A few people had questions at the end about the processor I was using at the South East Bass Bash...

It's called the MOD Duo, and you can find out more about it at [url="http://www.moddevices.com"]http://www.moddevices.com[/url] - if you want to hear a little of what it can do, without me using any of the other pedals or Kaoss Pads or anything, I did this little demo of one of the patches I programmed for it last week - everything here is done in the Duo - the looping, the ambient sounds, everything... The only other piece of sound-altering tech in the signal path is the Jule Monique (which also attracted a fair bit of interest on Saturday :) )

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXO1x5Cdh6Q[/media]

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Well if the Mod Duo takes off you will have almost unlimited new FX models and patches being created by the community. Also you can have a very complex signal chain going including amp sim, parallel chains and such.

With the H9 you are stuck with what Eventide give you, although they may release more content in future. Many of the FX could be higher quality, being designed by pros rather than hobbyists, but then again you can only run one effect at a time I think?

Think of it like a Linux desktop PC vs an iPad. Varying quality, complex and flexible Vs. high quality, simple but restricted.

With Eventide, you get Eventide's patches - that's the very big up and considerable down side of the H9. Eventide's processing is astounding, and they have a number of signature sounds that I covet a lot every time I play with Julie Slick. That said, the MOD does WAY WAY more than the H9 in terms of simultaneous processing, and the scope of the things it'll do (it's also a synth, so you could hook it up to a MIDI keyboard and have a whole synth rack in there too - would be amazing to see someone do that for synth bass parts on a covers gig...)

Ideally, I'd like to have both, but choosing between the two, I'd go MOD... :)

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1506433728' post='3378689']
Pricey and figured as much cheers though.
[/quote]

If it's as good as they claim, then it's pretty good value for money IMO. You'll pay almost twice as much for a Line6 Helix, although you'll need to factor in the cost of a decent MIDI foot controller as well to get the best out of it. I do notice that they are coy about latency for switching between patches on the web site though...

• 3 years later...
10 hours ago, tauzero said:

Zombie thread revival...

Has anyone other than Steve Lawson bought or experimented with a MOD unit, either a Duo/Duo X or a Dwarf?

I’m waiting on the Dwarf - hopefully should have it by the end of May. Give me a few years to get my technophobe head around it and I’ll report back!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

I’m waiting on the Dwarf - hopefully should have it by the end of May. Give me a few years to get my technophobe head around it and I’ll report back!

Same here, except it will take me slightly longer to toy with the thing and get frustrated before realising I don't get on with music tech and selling it on.

Reckon the delay will end up costing us UK VAT on top?

Edited by nige1968
  • Like 1

Yeah, I’m hoping the graphic interface side of it - actually seeing the pedals/amps be connected - will make it easier for me to understand. As for editing things live - that might be a step too far for me, so I can envisage this being a home studio thing for me.

As for VAT - I’m in N.Ireland, so for now nothing has changed in that regard. An order from Thomas recently confirmed that, it’s still EU prices for me. I mean, N.Ireland is self-destructing, but every cloud.... 😜

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Got a used one yesterday ...............my head hurts ........my Windows 10 will not recognise the web site for the GUI ! , so

have been messing around with the menus on the box ...........my head hurts.......... so many "HOLD THIS DOWN ,

SCROLL THAT , etc etc "

Got to be easier using the Graphic User Interfece , if only it would load !

Have asked the Mod people for some help , but not holding my breath for a reply !

Pete

Edited by petetexas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...