Why become a member? ×

Any appetite for a double bass bash this year?

Malvis

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1506618414' post='3380009']
Bob. What dates will you be in the UK? This is as easy a way as any to decide a date :)

Ooooh,that's pressure!
Two choices:April/May to catch the lovely British spring or September.Having been in the UK at both of these times I had fabulous weather and avoided the summer tourist crowds.
No plans to visit any area in particular so now it's your turn to pick somewhere that will be interesting for me and convenient for you folks.

Bob
[/quote]

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1506674168' post='3380276']
Sounds fine by me, and Bob will have time to tell us precisely when he's planning to be in the country.
[/quote]

Pick a date and if it works for me so much the better, but I am only one of many...whatever works for you folks,and if I'm lucky I'll be there... I'm pretty flexible.

Bob

Well Bob, since mid-April was mooted, why don't we aim for Sunday 15 April? Suits me pretty well - I'm not sure if I'll be around much in February and March.

I've made a few enquiries about venues, and had a bit of luck. A farmer friend has offered the use of a stone barn, which he's converted into a function venue. He'll let us have it for nothing, provided I run the hoover round it. It's in Fringford, a 6 mile, 10 minute drive from J9 of the M40. I'm going to try and check it out tomorrow. If it looks good I'll take some pics and y'all can decide.

One other thing - would it be a forum faux pas to invite other DBists from the world beyond basschat? I know a few people who'd be into it. The more the merrier I reckon, but let me know if for any reason that sounds like a bad idea.

Oh, and thanks very much for the reference Roger. I look forward to getting my hands on your bass again!

I have to be back here for a gig April 28 but other than that any time in April or May is fine as far as I'm concerned, but I'm only one person and have not set travel dates yet.Whatever works for the members is a possibility for me.I am flattered that you fine folks seem to be concerned about me-thanks for that,I hope I will be able to attend.

Bob

How's this for a potential venue? I think it'll do the job nicely. If we're low on numbers (i.e. fewer than 10) we can just use the smaller room - that's the one with the fireplace.

Shall I book it for April 15th? There's no hurry, nor no worry about cancelling, so no hassle whatever way...

Regarding the brewing and the banqueting, there's no kitchen in the barn, but there's a bar (on the left in the 3rd photo). I can get the loan of an urn and sort out stuff for making teas and coffees, and get some beer in too.

There's a kitchen in my friend David's house across the way from the barn, where food could be heated up. I'm more than happy to make a chilli or a stew, and bake a load of spuds, or make sandwiches. Whatever is preferred...

[quote name='Brother Malvis' timestamp='1507115504' post='3383378']
Regarding the brewing and the banqueting, there's no kitchen in the barn, but there's a bar (on the left in the 3rd photo). I can get the loan of an urn and sort out stuff for making teas and coffees, and get some beer in too.

There's a kitchen in my friend David's house across the way from the barn, where food could be heated up. I'm more than happy to make a chilli or a stew, and bake a load of spuds, or make sandwiches. Whatever is preferred...
[/quote]

Let’s not get too ambitious. The main event is the meeting of double bass players and discussions/examinations/considerations of instruments and gear. The availability of tea and coffee would add value to the occasion and sarnies could be brought in by those that want them. Anything else is probably superfluous, or am I just being grumpy?

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1507116940' post='3383397']
or am I just being grumpy?
[/quote]

Not grumpy, but perhaps realistic. If the good Brother wants to cook up a storm then who are we to stop him? I believe his Chilli is exceptionally fine. However it does become another "thing" to do for him and numbers are famously variable even with less than 24 hours to go so it might well become a whole lot of work for very little gain. It would probably be less hassle for us to find the nearest pizza delivery place and do an order on the day and everyone be responsible for what they need. Or bring sarnies obv!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the enthusiastic noises folks. I'll confirm April 15th with the barn's owner and put a post on the events page of the forum.

I can canvass opinion about refreshments nearer the time. You're right bassace, the victuals are sort of superfluous, but it's no trouble for me one way or the other.

It was great to meet you at the Wells bass workshop this weekend Phil. Looking forward to the next one!

• 2 weeks later...

Wells bass workshop!!

I've been trying to find out about this but can't find anything on line at all (apart from old listings of past events that is) David Heyes appears to have gone nomadic with workshops in York and Glasgow ...but no info about 2017 / 2018. Anyone got any links? Wells is a way from my house, but maybe worth making a weekend of it.

April 15th in the diary ..but it's still a long way off and who knows.......

I don't know when he's next in Wells, but David is doing a workshop in North London on 15 April, and a Bassfest in August which will be in the South East. Watch this space - I'll let you all know when we have more info