Why become a member? ×

30 years ago today Jaco passed away

spectoremg

A generational thing.

I get how young players might not get his once in a lifetime style and approach to the electric bass. However, I will never get or understand how some younger players don't understand his inpact or overall contribution and inspration to thousands of musicians.

BTW I'm not a huge Jaco fan.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506116587' post='3376639']
A generational thing.

I get how young players might not get his once in a lifetime style and approach to the electric bass. However, I will never get or understand how some younger players don't understand his inpact or overall contribution and inspration to thousands of musicians.

Blue
[/quote] Probably because he is hard to listen to. I think most people will acknowledge his legacy and his playing, but it is very hard going. I listen to him sometimes because I appreciate how good he was, but not for long.

I hadn't started playing bass when he died, so I missed out by a few years. I became exposed to his talents via the music he was involved in, rather than chasing out recordings because of his involvement. Pre-internet, I buy getting records I liked, and had the 'who's that on bass' thing.

That came afterwards, trying to find anything his played on!

On a side note, the Michael Jackson program on Channel 5 last night, they interviewed Bobby Colomby because of his affiliation with Epic records. He was heavily involved in getting Jaco to a wider audience, so quite timely he was on this week.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1506066338' post='3376162']

I'd like to hear someone record some of Jacos work but with a different tone , like on a warm P bass etc
[/quote]

I think it would sound pretty dump on a warm P bass. They just don't have the quick attack and decay for the faster, staccato grooves or the singing midrange for the more expressive passages.

In any event, Jaco was a wizard. His role in turning the bass into a serious voice in jazz music can't be underestimated. Whilst I will contend that there were better players around at the time, in my view, Jaco was uniquely positioned to make a massive impact. Weather Report were a huge band by fusion standards. His work with Joni Mitchell was sublime too.

If you're after a little Jaco gem, I would recommend 'Dara Factor One' from the self titled 1981 Weather Report album. It's a cut from a jam the band had in the studio with serious groove and wonderful improvisation. It's Jaco at his finest, when he most encapsulated the role of a bassist; providing an intuitive support to the harmony, rhythm and even melody of the band. Just magic.

A generational thing.

Blue
[/quote]

It's not generational at all, it's not a young vs old thing, there are older people that can't listen to him and younger people that really dig it.

One thing that irritates me is that in all of this, Luc Havan essentially walked away from battering a man to death.

I'm well aware that Jaco was a handful in his later years but on the accounts given from the night he was beaten so badly he never recovered, the pummelling he received seems totally disproprtionate with his actions. We'll never know the truth, and without access to a patholigist's report we can't say for certain, but the injuries inflicted on him suggest he took a good beating and not just one good punch.

Luc Havan now runs a realtor business in Florida. He has been involved with restaurants, he has a son and a daughter. I wonder if they know the truth? He's easily traceable as some sleuths have done some work online to track him down and their steps are easily followed.

I would have been less irritated by this if he had shown any remorse but an interview attributed from recent times suggest an attitude of utter contempt for his crime. A great musical hero and a father of four kids, beaten to death like a piece of street trash. That'll never feel right.

Sadly, there was little known about bipolar disorder (or manic depression as it was called then. Never got the help he needed.
I'd like to batter that Haven guy to death with the bass of doom!
Saw Weather Report at the Brighton Dome in the mid 70s. Jaco is an idol of mine. Fantastic groove player & his melodic stuff makes my spine tingle.

However, I will never get or understand how some younger players don't understand his inpact or overall contribution and inspration to thousands of musicians.

Blue
[/quote]

The truth is Blue, is that it's totally unimportant to them. Not knowing about Jaco Pastorious will have no physical effect on anyone's lives and will probably make no difference whatsoever to the playing ability of 99% of the world's future bassplayers.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. It's just a fact that to some kid who wants to play Foo fighters covers with their mates, Jaco Pastorious made no contribution to bass playing whatsoever as far as they're concerned.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1506101583' post='3376527']

Sounds like someone that has just been given a fretless playing over a you tube track to my ears, I keep listening to links hoping I'll find one I enjoy but it hasn't happened yet :(
[/quote]

That song didn't do it for me either. I first heard Jaco with Joni Mitchell but didn't know who he was till later. I have a lot of respect for him but that genre of music is not something I listen to. A shame he is not still around though.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1506177553' post='3376899']

It's not generational at all, it's not a young vs old thing, there are older people that can't listen to him and younger people that really dig it.
[/quote]

Then I guess it's s personal thing. I don't know any older people that can't listen to him or young people that can.

Blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1506206420' post='3377101']

The truth is Blue, is that it's totally unimportant to them. Not knowing about Jaco Pastorious will have no physical effect on anyone's lives and will probably make no difference whatsoever to the playing ability of 99% of the world's future bassplayers.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. It's just a fact that to some kid who wants to play Foo fighters covers with their mates, Jaco Pastorious made no contribution to bass playing whatsoever as far as they're concerned.
[/quote]

I disagree. IMO Jaco has made a contribution to anyone playing bass today, whether they know it or not.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506239226' post='3377181']

Then I guess it's s personal thing. I don't know any older people that can't listen to him or young people that can.

Blue
[/quote]

There are plenty of people on Basschat that are old enough to fit your idea of the correct generation that openly state that they don't get him, go to a bass gear show in the uk and you'll find people in their 20s and younger doing "the Jaco thing" on a fretless.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1506074619' post='3376247']
You can never have too much JP.
[/quote]

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1506089113' post='3376412']
I can.
[/quote]

And yet, of all the threads in the Internet world, you turn up at a Jaco thread.
That's fine, as long as you don't start Wolf whistling.
:D

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1506244402' post='3377227']
There are plenty of people on Basschat that are old enough to fit your idea of the correct generation that openly state that they don't get him, go to a bass gear show in the uk and you'll find people in their 20s and younger doing "the Jaco thing" on a fretless.
[/quote]

This kid being a case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ_j5Ejgkxo

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1506244402' post='3377227']

[/quote]

Well, that's good to hear. There's still hope for our youth.😁

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506239226' post='3377181']

Blue
[/quote]

What age do you class as older? im 51 and can`t listen to more than 30 seconds without switching off, sorry but he has never done anything for me.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506239396' post='3377182']

I disagree. IMO Jaco has made a contribution to anyone playing bass today, whether they know it or not.

Blue
[/quote]

I can understand why you say this Blue.
I have only learnt of Jaco through Basschat, before that I'd never heard of him, not through ignorance, just really not into that style of music so he's never cropped up, but I do like 'Rhythmstick' so inadvertently I have been exposed to his style of playing. But why does it stop at Jaco? Surely he didn't grow up devoid of any musical influence, so why am I not influenced by his influences rather than him?
Same with the Beatles, you claim everyone in a band today has been influenced by them, yet they were influenced by Lonnie Donnegan, and he would have been influenced by others, and so on.
So are we all influenced by the first caveman to bang two sticks together?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1506279267' post='3377569']

[/quote]

:D

It's not meant as a dig at Blue, but a genuine question.
It seems to me that the bands that I'm always told are my influences are from the sixties or seventies, as if music began then. But what about all the rock'n'roll before that, and the Jazz and blues before that? My personal musical radar only goes back to around the 1920's delta blues, really got into Robert Johnson for a while, but wasn't the early blues music that the African slaves brought with them into America?
How come folks seem to only consider 60's/70's music worthy of being an influence to everyone today?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506239396' post='3377182']

Blue
[/quote]

With all resect Blue, I can't see how you arrive at that conclusion.

I understand that he was a good player and has obviously influenced many players after him but as I've never enjoyed his work, and leaving aside the lack of ability issue, I can honestly say that the only contribution he's made to my bass playing is that I know for sure what music I don't want to play and what I don't want to sound like....but wait a minute....that means he HAS made a contribution to my bass playing despite me not even liking him.

Well, I didn't see that coming. You Yanks are damn clever😋