Why become a member? ×

Ideas for strap locks

TheGreek

I was changing some strap locks over earlier and realised how bland and uninteresting the design of most strap locks are. I mean, the visible part is essentially they are just a piece of metal with a hole in, like a washer.

Now I have some old coins somewhere, you know 10p and 50p pieces which would be far more interesting than the plain bit of metal (though too thick). I also have some metal plectrums which would be an improvement.

I got to thinking, let's consult with the BC Massive for ideas, many heads being better than one, and all that...

So any ideas of ways to improve strap locks with a bit of lateral thinking??

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1505943154' post='3375457']
...I had a schaller diconnect itself and drop my first Fender bass onto the floor during a rehearsal in the early 80s.
[/quote]

I've had incidents with both Schaller and Dunlop. Been using Loxx for quite a while and no issues... yet.

straplocks are the biggest con ever. I had some Dunlops and had to keep tightening the straplock onto the strap.....well if I have to do that every time what's different from checking that the strap is on properly?

idiotic

Grolsch type rubber washer does it for me, plus you get to drink a nice beer :)

I've used both the Dunlop & Schaller strap locks for years, and like Rich said, functional engineering is good design.

That said, I always found the Dunlops to be really clunky & awkward, the Schaller's just work. Never had a problem with them either.

The Fender ones are really good, although a dab of superglue on the thread of the part that goes on the strap is a good idea.

Would appeal to those 'functional engineering' types! Lol

Obviously look better on a Fender though.......!

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1505968997' post='3375515']
straplocks are the biggest con ever. I had some Dunlops and had to keep tightening the straplock onto the strap.....well if I have to do that every time what's different from checking that the strap is on properly?

idiotic

Grolsch type rubber washer does it for me, plus you get to drink a nice beer :)
[/quote]

If you were having to keep tightening the Dunlop ones to the strap as they kept coming loose then they weren't Dunlops!

Just sayin' as they say :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977