Why become a member? ×

vanderkley 112 ext or 112 mnt ?

ebenezer

Just wondering if there is any real world advantage to going for the higher spec mnt over the lesser ext?....it seems to me the ext's used as a pair could handle most gigs, i would assume the 212 mnt is the same but in one cabinet!...and from what i have read, never seem to be found wanting.

I would drop a line to Marc van der Kley and explain what exactly you're after. If anyone can clarify it's certainly the man himself.
I've got one 112ext and a second one on its way. 600w is more than enough for me but I like the extra low-end that the increased speaker surfacet of two cabs give.
I'ts not the cheapest solution though.
I have always guessed the mnt was developed for more powerfull amps than my LMIII and should also be used as a pair (hence 8 ohm).

I had a bit of a scare once, involving an unexpected situation, a young player without an amp and a rig that was not at all intended for a loud gig. Long story short: My second EXT was an MNT.

I may still swap the EXT for another MNT at some point (although I do believe Marc is on record somewhere stating the EXT sounds slightly better...) but it's by no means necessary.
With my 500 watt amp the pair of 'em can get absolutely irresponsibly loud - and if I do decide to bring just the MNT for smaller gigs, I can throttle it without having to worry. :)

Edit: In addition to the debilitating volume, I should say it sounds absolutely delicious.

Edited by Danuman

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1505942667' post='3375452'] In addition to the debilitating volume, I should say it sounds absolutely delicious.
[/quote]

I have never owned anything made by Vanderkley, but I just wanted to say that that is a particularly lovely sentence! B) :hi:

I've received my 2nd 112ext yesterday and the set (LMIII + 2x112ext) sounds great. Deep warm bass without being boomy. Tweeters rolled back!
I have not been able to really crank them up and I doubt if I ever will. This set is loud enough for what I do and the venues we will most likely play in. (200 - 300)
I would guess there is not so much difference between 212 and 410 in such relatively avg venues. Would they be larger I would expect FOH anyway.
The portability and flexibility of two light weight cabs and a small amp is an advantage for me.

I've recently parted with my 212MNT, only because I wanted something smaller and lighter. I think it uses the same drivers as the EXT112.

For what it's capable of, it's not unreasonable, but it was moved only for logistical reasons.

It's a massive sounding cab. Really, so much volume and low end. I turned my 700w amp to full volume once, out of curiosity, and it was unbelievable! It just kept on giving.

• 2 weeks later...