Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

Maybe it's a feature of the COG T16 Gen 1 pedal I've got? I love it for its "classic octave down" (and because of this even prefer it to it's bigger brother the T65, which is excellent and overall a more versatile pedal). This "classic octave down" for me is 50% dry blend with the filter set to provide an "authentic" bass rather than a synth bass (which on the Gen 1 COG is underpowered) and if I want to add synth I just switch in either the Aggie FT or the SA Audio Manta.

I found that if I switch the order round with filter first the COG was struggling more with the tracking than when it is able to latch onto a pure clean signal in (straight from the bass or Smooth Hound). But then applying synth and dirt further down the chain to a quality well tracked octave singal is just fine.

And in my particular set up, my Two Notes dirt is last but one in the chain (before the compressor) as it provides a back up DI out for those very rare occasions I'm not taking my amp to a gig.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1507415086' post='3385389']
Going back to the subject of large pedals: I just saw a Mu-Tron Bi-Phase in the flesh today at the UK Synth Fest in Sheffield and it makes the Glou-Glou look small.
[/quote]

How was the day - any interesting developments / new product announcements?

I didn’t go to the presentations so it was otherwise mostly a mixture of retailers/manufacturers and then loads of exhibitors who’ve built crazy home-made modular synths. The modular thing is a bit over my head to be honest. I got to try a bunch of Moog stuff, including a Theremini, which was fun and some weighted controller keyboards.

I did get to try the Discumbobulator and Octo-Nøjs pedals but only via a synth so couldn’t get a real sense of how they’d sound on my bass.

I was really looking forward to trying out some of the virtual pianos by Sonic Couture but sadly and somewhat short-sightedly they didn’t bring them to their display stand. The sound great and they’re offering a hefty 40% discount code but I still wanted to get an idea of how they play before dropping £50-£80 per item as it’s not like I can sell it on afterwards if I don’t rate it.

It was a bit overwhelming to be honest but worth a look.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1507551602' post='3386239']
Stick that DC8 under the board and you'll be able to fit a ToneHammer and an Agro in there!
[/quote]

That is EXACTLY what I am worried about will happen if I put the DC8 under the board!! Besides any more pedals and the DC8, which is already being fully utilised, will need to become a DC10.

So DB get thee behind me (and take Cameron and Cuzzie with you at the same time please) :P

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1507551359' post='3386236']
An angled "shimmy" is indeed required, but actually it's not as bad as it looks! I guess I'm lucky to have average sized feet and not Cuzzie's size 12s :D
[/quote]

Or my size 13s!

Wouldn't be such a problem practicing barefoot in my bedroom but I'd struggle with it live.

Well Cameron you have officially taken the biscuit - i could say mine are a US13, but that means yours are a US14.

Not only have you bigger feet, more pedals, but no doubt are a better bass player than me too.

Shame you only have a puny 900w amp at your disposal........

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1507575901' post='3386490']
Well Cameron you have officially taken the biscuit - i could say mine are a US13, but that means yours are a US14.

Not only have you bigger feet, more pedals, but no doubt are a better bass player than me too.

Shame you only have a puny 900w amp at your disposal........
[/quote]

Well I'm 6ft7 so if my feet were much smaller than a 13 I'd look a bit weird :lol: glad my feet aren't any bigger though as I'd start getting into the realms of only being able to buy hideous shoes!

I'd strongly argue you're a better player than I. Most of my time is spent GASing over, purchasing and tweaking effects rather than actually practising on the instrument...I must remedy this ASAP.

Well down to you and Mr Krow I have reignited my pedal delight, I had just got my pedalboard small (in number) to a Hartke VXL, MXR Chorus deluxe, Cali76G and Two Notes.
Now I am making a second board of my ‘spare’pedals.

Source Audio multiwave distortion, Manta bass and hot hand, Mantic Beef Bag.

There is no hope for us whether we are the height of Nelsons column or just normal.....

Tinkering is playing by the way...

I'm in love with my robot factory meatwad (lovetone meatball clone, amongst several ones). I had a subdecay prometheus which was great but too cold , and have a MutronIII clone in a multi effect box, that sounds good but less clean than the meatball. In two words Meatball is funky and very usable. If I had to have a clone made I would add a phase 45 circuit to it for extended possibilities. The Glou-glou is maybe un peu trop beaucoup.
btw The EF's in the MS60b were not bad either.
I don't know the ones in your list but hope I helped in some way.

Edited by totorbass

I still haven't seen anything that has the same squelchy low end as the original DOD FX25. Most others I've tried open up in a similar way but rather than hitting a point where it goes bleeeaughhhghgh' they carry on up the envelope to a whistle. If you see what I mean.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1507631047' post='3386835']
I still haven't seen anything that has the same squelchy low end as the original DOD FX25. Most others I've tried open up in a similar way but rather than hitting a point where it goes bleeeaughhhghgh' they carry on up the envelope to a whistle. If you see what I mean.
[/quote]
Even with all the controls of my wmd protostar, it is a real hard sweet spot to hit.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1507550581' post='3386223']
Well, I'm currently eating my hat. Looks like quite a delicate tap dance is required to avoid stomping the antennae of your Smooth Hound or knobs on your 2Notes preamp when wanting to engage the T16!
[/quote]

Well you've inspired me to do something I guess was a bit obvious - I've swapped the Smooth Hound and the COG T16 around so the T16 is sitting at the bottom of board. I'll need to order another patch cable to have enough of the right lengths to go round (I was trying to make do with all the bits and pieces I had to hand before), but it will now mean no more angled shimmys required and even folks with size 12 or 13 feet will have no problems avoiding antennae or 2Notes dials! It looks a bit neater to boot - cheers!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/313230-new-site-for-broughton-audio/"]Broughton Josh Wah[/url] (see link posted by dannybuoy) sounds really good!

$170 so I'm guessing £170 imported (with insured transport, duty and VAT?)

Cameron why haven't you already got one of these yet? Anyone else used one and liked? It sounds like it's got a pretty decent distortion as well as a good wah.

Kinda thinking this could potentially replace both my Two Notes Le Bass and Aguilar Filter Twin with a single pedal that costs less than either of them and release some real estate on my pedal board at the same time! Thougths?

Wait a minute...how would a Josh Wah replace your Filter Twin and Two Notes Le Bass? Am I missing something??

I haven't got one because I'm saving for a new bass. Well actually that's a lie as I've just bought a Crowther Prunes & Custard from this very forum. Still - a new bass is on the horizon!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1507825425' post='3388253']
A JoshWah should come to just under £200, including $40 postage, VAT and the £8 handling fee.
But I might sell mine for less...The distortion on it is no replacement for a dedicated OD though.
[/quote]

That's helpful as ever DB. So given that you have got rid of your SA Manta (to me) and you're looking to move on you Josh Wah what's your current squeeze as far as filter pedals go?

...Ah I've just spotted you've answered that on the pedal board thread - you're keeping the MXR M82 BEF which I didn't buy off you. Ok you owe me then! :)

Edited by Al Krow