Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

If you’re wondering if someone would be stupid enough to sell an M82 and buy another because it’s more sparkly, then wonder no more. I did. The sparkly one looks way better! Why did they change it, were the MXR people sick of going home covered in glitter? 

I’ve spent a bit more time with the pedal and think I’m pretty happy. I still think it sounds best with the Q quite low but it’s got that rubbery quack that I like. 

I’m likely to use it more than the DOD for fear of damaging it so will try it live asap and see how it cuts through - but I always think band pass filters do that really well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ped said:

If you’re wondering if someone would be stupid enough to sell an M82 and buy another because it’s more sparkly, then wonder no more. I did. The sparkly one looks way better! Why did they change it, were the MXR people sick of going home covered in glitter? 

I’ve spent a bit more time with the pedal and think I’m pretty happy. I still think it sounds best with the Q quite low but it’s got that rubbery quack that I like. 

I’m likely to use it more than the DOD for fear of damaging it so will try it live asap and see how it cuts through - but I always think band pass filters do that really well. 

I was kinda thinking that the guy who bought the sparkly one for £100 must be a bit gutted that ped sold his immediately after for £20 less! But clearly he isn't! 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

I was very close to buying the more purple one to then sell my darker one! 

Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe' I had the opportunity last week to buy one' this was the latest incarnation of this well..."Expensive" Extensive Envelope Follower & Synth unit.  I passed on the sale preferring to stay with my GR2" Just what experience does anyone have with this unit...?  & how did they rate it..                 V. F. M.?? 

Edited by paulo m

On 25/10/2021 at 14:55, 51m0n said:

Yeah mine is going back on Tuesday.

Its either a duff one or the pedal simply cant begin to handle an active bass. Clips all the time, no setting will tame the cheap and nasty mega distortion going on.

Consider me thoroughly unimpressed.

I've had a Solid Gold FX Supa Funk now for a few weeks. I'm running a passive jazz through it and yes, it doesn't take much to clip it. However... I connected a spectra comp in front of it (I wouldn't normally put a compressor in front of an envelope filter) and it's cured the problem. I thought the compressor might make the pedal not respond very dynamically but that's not been the case, in fact it seems to prefer it. I've also got a Seamoon funk machine, that doesn't clip and doesn't like it when you put the compressor in front of it.

Now I've cured the clipping issue with the supa funk I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

Edited by Boodang

9 hours ago, Boodang said:

I've had a Solid Gold FX Supa Funk now for a few weeks. I'm running a passive jazz through it and yes, it doesn't take much to clip it. However... I connected a spectra comp in front of it (I wouldn't normally put a compressor in front of an envelope filter) and it's cured the problem. I thought the compressor might make the pedal not respond very dynamically but that's not been the case, in fact it seems to prefer it. I've also got a Seamoon funk machine, that doesn't clip and doesn't like it when you put the compressor in front of it.

Now I've cured the clipping issue with the supa funk I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

Good fix with the SG! Be great to hear some sound samples of both if you're able to rustle some up for us?

He I ran my becos twain into it and that didn't help at all for me 😆

I have an email trail from Greg at SGFX where he ends up wondering if it was just a faulty pedal, but I really don't think so now, having heard quite a few disappointed stories about this pedal 

Damn shame because it's a damn funky sounding thing

For anyone who wants to hear, I've posted some sound clips of the SGFX Supa Funk and Seamoon Funk Machine, over in the 'reviews- effect' section. 

I know some people have been posting distortion issues with the Supa Funk... it seems the pedal can't take hot signals, and it's certainly more sensitive than my other pedals, but I've had no problems with clipping going straight into it with my passive jazz.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Does this count? It’s technically one pedal, but running two of them in parallel:

bef duo.mp3 937.5 kB · 9 downloads

Very cool - and something I suspect a "proverbial" audience would very much warm to! 😉

How does that differ from the same lick played through just one MXR BEF?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Very cool - and something I suspect a "proverbial" audience would very much warm to! 😉

How does that differ from the same lick played through just one MXR BEF?

17 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I like both… Having 2 is bordering hoarding. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

That was quite enlightening! I'd say the duo sounded "wetter" solo, but would more likely get lost in a band mix and vice versa for the single which would cut through better in the mix.

Nicely done Q  - already had comments from fellow BC'ers that they can never seem to get their filters sounding as good as you've just managed!

• 4 months later...

I've owned and still own quite a few filters, but the my One True Filter Love is the Moog MF-101. It's quite limited compared to say the 3Leaf Chromatron, it's huge, it needs a centre positive power supply, it only goes up, it only has 2 attack settings, no decay control, its low pass only and its got a very coloured (though not bad sounding) buffer. But it just sounds incredible.

Out of interest, is there a filter out that sounds like the Moog but in a pedalboard friendly box?

• Like 1