Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

Filter, envelope filter, autowah, wah, envelope follower, envelope detector... 

Anyone here clever enough to explain the differences in a way, say, a 5 year old could understand?

(borrowed that from Einstein who claimed if you couldn't explain a concept to a five years old child, then you don't understand it well enough) 

29 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Anyone have any experience with this? Screenshot_20210110_094707.thumb.jpg.dedd276d937ef42aae39eddf5cea6737.jpg

I haven't got that one, but I do have the the original Envelope Phaser EP-1. The filter side is based off a Mutron and the phaser is based on a Univibe.  I think it sounds great, but I don't take it out much because its huge.  If the Bass Envelope Phaser is anywhere near the original it'll sound great, although with a lot less control.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stewblack said:

Filter, envelope filter, autowah, wah, envelope follower, envelope detector... 

Anyone here clever enough to explain the differences in a way, say, a 5 year old could understand?

(borrowed that from Einstein who claimed if you couldn't explain a concept to a five years old child, then you don't understand it well enough) 

A filter is usually a circuit that cuts frequencies above (LPF) or below (HPF) a certain frequency cutoff.

An envelope filter uses the playing dynamics to controll the cutoff value. The highest the volume of the signal, the more (or less) the cutoff is changed from a given start point.

Auto wah is usually a LFO (low frequency oscillator) controlled cutoff.

A wah pedal is usually a pedal rocker controlled cutoff frequency filter. To my knowledge most famous wah pedals are resonant band pass with clean blend?

To me An envelope follower is a function of a pedal that sends exp or cv value out to another pedal. Chunk Brown dog for example.

Envelope detection is the part of the circuitry in an envelope pedal that converts playing dynamics into a controll signal. To controll another parameter (not just cutoff)

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hand made in Greece, a tiny pedal, which is almost two pedals. Almost, because the octave only works in conjunction with the filter, and not on its own.

My search for the ideal filter led me to the Tsakalis Audioworks phonkify after trying a fair few. I have a Future Impact which more than caters for my synthy filter sounds, and I have a Fwonkbeta I still haven't tamed yet, it can shake the fillings from your teeth. My most recent (prior to the Phonkify) is the Sonuus Wahoo. Unquestionably the most customisable of the lot, it is a complex bit of kit.

All this helped clarify what I'm after. I want a filter which works. I don't want to have to twiddle knobs in a seemingly endless search for the one configuration that actually produces a noise. I want neither volume drop nor increase when I activate the pedal, but if I get either I want to be able to change them quickly. I want a funky, relatively liquid sound but one that retains the quality of my bass. I want to be able to change the sound in a swift, simple, intuitive way on the pedal itself.

This little box ticks every one of those boxes. I also like the idea of octave pedals in conjunction with a filter, so that is a bonus, but not a deal breaker. To really hear why this is such a great pedal you need to hear it in a mix. Some filter pedals actually get on my tlts after a couple of minutes. They're just too in your face. This one is deceptive. Because it doesn't leap at you and grab you by the throat , but is still most definitely there, I jammed for a straight 40 minutes with it on the other night and loved how the sound sat in there. Forgot it was on - but in a good way. I've made a little vid for y'all, but remade it because I wanted some other noises with the bass . I don't own anything other than basses so I had to invent drums and keys. It's just an improvised loop with my fat hands getting in the way, but hopefully gives an idea.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@stewblack - what an excellent little review, thanks. It's got a built in octave up rather than octave down, right?

Both. You sweep from lower to higher the farther left the more of the lower and vice versa. 

If you listen with headphones you should hear the low octave 

• Thanks 1

Hi folks, I have some very specific questions, so I don't necessarily expect anyone to have answers, but I'm going to try. 

Has anyone owned Future Impact, SA Spectrum, and Pigtronix bass phaser? 

If so can FI, and / or Spectrum do what the Pigtronix does? Or can either at least get close to it?

Is the Spectrum easy to adjust and set up on the fly or do you really need to be using a computer or an app? 

If the latter is the app easy to use or do you really need to connect up to a computer? 

NB: When I say 'easy' I am clearly using entirely subjective terminology, but I hope we can vaguely agree on a definition. I don't mean easy enough that someone like Donald Trump could use it, I mean someone with a few years experience of effects pedals could get comfortable with it in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks. 

On 08/01/2021 at 19:46, sshorepunk said:

Here’s a rare one

Barbanera Low Pass Filter - Mongerfooger MF-101 Clone. 

9D9979F7-0718-429C-9C08-C6C0A68CAB70.jpeg

Damn - that thing looks good.

On 08/01/2021 at 20:51, Quatschmacher said:

Are these still available anywhere? Does it have the CV inputs and envelope out too?

https://www.triungulolab.com/home/20-barbanera.html

23 hours ago, GisserD said:

i just found one on ebay. 

its not on ebay anymore.

A few of us are very eagerly awaiting a review on bass! This is a pretty decent review on six string (1.33 to 4.30 in particular)

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

Hi folks, I have some very specific questions, so I don't necessarily expect anyone to have answers, but I'm going to try. 

If so can FI, and / or Spectrum do what the Pigtronix does? Or can either at least get close to it?

Is the Spectrum easy to adjust and set up on the fly or do you really need to be using a computer or an app? 

If the latter is the app easy to use or do you really need to connect up to a computer? 

NB: When I say 'easy' I am clearly using entirely subjective terminology, but I hope we can vaguely agree on a definition. I don't mean easy enough that someone like Donald Trump could use it, I mean someone with a few years experience of effects pedals could get comfortable with it in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks. 

I remember the source audio Manta did a nice envelope phaser in the same vein. That same sound will probably be available on the SA Spectrum/C4 as well as loads of other stuff.

Edited by lee650
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lee650 said:

I remember the source audio Manta did a nice envelope phaser in the same vein. That same sound will probably be available on the SA Spectrum/C4 as well as loads of other stuff.

Indeed. One SA user spent a lot of time match his Pigtronix and shared the patches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

Thanks. 

The Spectrum is pretty to easy to adjust on the fly. Four most important parameters are adjusted via the 4 knobs on the front, just like a standard pedal. You can push the 'alt' button and access another four parameters via the same knobs. 

The app is easy to use, as is the desktop version. I prefer the desktop mainly because it's nicer to have a bigger screen and more the presentation of what you are tweaking (i.e. the options and knobs etc.) is more detailed.  

The infrastructure Source Audio have built with the whole neuro app system is impressive. Easy to load presets and there's a busy community of people making new sounds; everything is stored in the cloud so you can access it from whichever device and nothing gets lost.

Oh and the pedal/software is amazing. You can create pretty much any filter sound you can imagine. There are envelope phaser sounds available but I don't know the Pigtronix enough to comment specifically.

Basically... get one, you won't regret it. I certainly won't be buying any more filter pedals for a very long time!

Edited by AJ567
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sshorepunk said:

Did it arrive yet?

yes. initial reports are very good. this was ereccorded within the 1st 10 mins of turning the thing on. so i have yet to master it by a long shot.  but its very easy to get great sounds out of it. the Lvevel knob is actually an input gain which actually adds a lovley charcter to the sound. i think the original has this feature too.

1. Barbara solo. 

2. Mastotron into Barbara

2. Madto into octamizer into Barbara

3. Octavbre into brown dog (env out) into barba

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 2