Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

Yeh let's call the meeting to order and drag these back onto this thread :D

7 hours ago, GisserD said:

I use both octaves for very different reasons. the broughton is very much a synth tone generator. its a great sounding OC-2 esque, amazing tracking synth pedal. The aggie serves a different purpose all together.... Its more of a blended octave down copy of the input signal...but the original signal has a lot of the lows reduced, and the octave down has them more pronounced.

The GR2 is used almost exclusively with the 2nd mastotron in its loop. Its the core of so many of my sounds because it just sounds fantastic. For funky fingerstyle the Mini Mu is my go to filter as its the fattest/quackiest ive come across yet!  the manta is used if i need something more complex for dubstep style `wabs` for example.

The bananana hasnt been incorporated into any of my songs at the moment so didn't make the board. yet!

The Bananana is best at being a bit crusher, right? In which case, it's going to be a challenge to include that in any covers material methinks!

47 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Interestingly the Wonderlove, which is the descendent of the GR2 is the one I use the most. The loop and the control over both attack and decay make it so usable, especially with dirt pedals, which are often killers of dynamics. 

There's a Wonderlove in the FS section, right now I believe.

3 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I know this isn't the filter thread but whilst we're off topic I'm really digging the Discumbobulator going into overdrive/distortion. Sounds like guitar->wah->dirty amp sounds but without the aching ankles!

Would be good next time you guys are next down in London to A/B some of these filter pedals!

On 4/20/2018 at 18:55, Al Krow said:

The Bananana is best at being a bit crusher, right? In which case, it's going to be a challenge to include that in any covers material methinks!

Im not sure what its best at as it can do so much but it certainly has a capable bitcrusher sound in there somwhere. 

i only play one cover... jamiroquai - deeper underground . and actually the baseline could work with a bit-crushed gated fuzz sound. Gnarlier the better for that one :)

IRON ETHER ~ XEROGRAPH - 

LPF with 12db or 24db slope down to 40hz!!

Touch of resonance and it rumbles like an angry herd of wildebeast!!

(HPF nurds’ll be foamin’ at the mouth!!) 😉🤭

Static LPF or bash in an expression pedal for sweepability.

Class act worth every penny.

AA49F905-EAC9-4D1A-AEA3-026C0C7E3A8E.jpeg

1 hour ago, VAMPYRE 5 said:

IRON ETHER ~ XEROGRAPH - 

LPF with 12db or 24db slope down to 40hz!!

Touch of resonance and it rumbles like an angry herd of wildebeast!!

(HPF nurds’ll be foamin’ at the mouth!!) 😉🤭

Static LPF or bash in an expression pedal for sweepability.

Class act worth every penny.

AA49F905-EAC9-4D1A-AEA3-026C0C7E3A8E.jpeg

I recently got a first version Xerograph Deluxe and it is cool. 

• 1 year later...

3Leaf Proton (2020 release).

Just seen this review by Zach Rizer. Looks good!  Has both down up and down sweeps and also a new range switch allows for much deeper filter sweeps (07.35 on Zach's review).

There's one in the FS right now for a reasonable price - I reckon they're probably going to be around £300 new in the UK inc. shipping and taxes, which is hefty chunk of change.

Edited by Al Krow

That range switch was on the v1 I had, since sold. It wasnt on the later version I bought, which was a v3, so I guess this is a v4+ ?!

It was too clean and subtle sounding and didn't go deep enough for my tastes, but I see the new one has been completely redesigned according to the 1st vid!

4 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

That range switch was on the v1 I had, since sold. It wasnt on the later version I bought, which was a v3, so I guess this is a v4+ ?!

It was too clean and subtle sounding and didn't go deep enough for my tastes, but I see the new one has been completely redesigned according to the 1st vid!

Completely agree that an overly polite filter kinda defeats the point! 

As you note, it does seem to be a completely updated circuit. From the 3Leaf blurb:

"The Proton is an optically controlled analog envelope filter. The circuit has been completely redesigned to offer better tone and a more musical response. It has a new detector circuit based on the one in the Chromatron, and the familiar control layout has a greatly expanded range that can get the classic 1970s filter sounds and well beyond. The new range switch allows for much deeper filter sweeps, and the reworked tone knob covers every soundscape from cocked wah to laser beams."

Must admit I thought it sounded great on Zach's review. 

I saw the 3 leaf filters and was tempted!

after putting a request out to see what filters were for sale, I got a messages and I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on an Aguilar! 
And a mini q Tron with internal volume mod has popped up, so probably gonna have that as well

And my time factor is going to be repaired!

lockdown filter fun for me 😎

Tony

The Aguilar arrived yesterday

I’ve owned Aguilar amplification before, but not had one of their pedals

initial impressions, built like a tank and really easy to dial in a nice sound

Didn't get too much time last night, went straight to the up and down settings to check out each filter independently, very impressed!

more time to play today

And the tone  factor is on its way for repair!

T

Edited by sshorepunk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sshorepunk said:

The Aguilar arrived yesterday

I’ve owned Aguilar amplification before, but not had one if there pedals

initial impressions, built like a tank and really easy to dial in a nice sound

Didn't get too much time last night, went straight to the up and down settings to check out each filter independently, very impressed!

more time to play today

And the tone  factor is on its way for repair!

T

Filter Twin was my favorite envelope filter pedal by a distance.

3 hours ago, Japhet said:

Filter Twin was my favorite envelope filter pedal by a distance.

In my seemingly never ending search for filter funk nirvana, I seem to have completely overlooked the aguilar offering. 

And seeing that they make my favourite ovtaver, I cat really understand why.

I mean.... this! Whaaaaaa!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/34E7tR_vmhM

22 minutes ago, GisserD said:

In my seemingly never ending search for filter funk nirvana, I seem to have completely overlooked the aguilar offering. 

That’s cool. 

It is a very nice filter. Ultimately I missed resonance and frequency controls which is a reason I sold mine. 7 filters at once was a bit overkill too and I’ve had a fair few others too.  

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Hah! So I've actually had a filter on my board that you've not tried yet, well that's a first! 

FWIW - I think you will prefer your BEF to the Aguilar, the BEF is less polite and more funky, despite being band-pass rather than the low pass generally favoured by us bassists. What the Aggie unusually offers i.e. its USP is being able to blend two filters with separate up and down sweeps. Which did seem quirky, but with several more filters under my belt I've come to realise that I'm only ever going to want to engage either up or down sweep at any given time.

Defo a cool video, but I suspect he could make just about any filter pedal sound great!

I sold the Aguilar. Wasn’t a fan of the dual filter vowel sounds, and as a straight up filter it was good but as squelchy as some others. The Emma is still my #1 but I might have to try a Spectrum or new Proton still!

My other gripe was that you couldn’t set separate thresholds for the up and down sweeps so a threshold setting which was good for up ended up being rubbish for down, this gave only a small usable range of sounds which use both filters together. 

• Thanks 1

On 02/05/2020 at 19:52, dannybuoy said:

...but I might have to try a Spectrum or new Proton still!

Two different beasts. Digital PC editing deep dive for the Spectrum, but potentially very rewarding for those with the patience to unlock. My limited brain RAM is being fully utilised on the PC editing front by my Helix & Zoom multifx's, so the immediacy of an analogue trad-dial pedal format remains appealing for the rest of my board.

Managed to snag a 3Leaf Proton (2020) a few days back and I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far! Just managed to very quickly and easily dial in a squelchy up-sweep - this could turn out to be the best filter pedal I've had yet.

Lucky to have managed to get hold of one used so soon after release; the new price including shipping, customs, £12 handling charge & VAT with the current low value of the £ is eye watering and my mini board has definitely lost its right to be called "budget" after the addition of the Proton (2020)!

Edited by Al Krow

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Two different beasts. Digital PC editing deep dive for the Spectrum, but potentially very rewarding for those with the patience to unlock. My limited brain RAM is being fully utilised on the PC editing front by my Helix & Zoom multifx's, so the immediacy of an analogue trad-dial pedal format remains appealing for the rest of my board.

Managed to snag a 3Leaf Proton (2020) a few days back and I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far! Just managed to very quickly and easily dial in a squelchy up-sweep - this could turn out to be the best filter pedal I've had yet.

Very glad I managed to get hold of one used so soon after release; the new price including shipping, customs, £12 handling charge & VAT with the current low value of the £ is eye watering and my mini board has definitely lost its right to be called "budget" after the addition of the Proton (2020)!

Spectrum doesn’t require a deep dive to use. There’s loads available from the 6 presets on the toggle switch and you get access to 8 parameters from the pedal surface so a decent amount of variation can be had without ever touching the editor. I’m pretty sure there’ll be people who buy one and never need to. However, to fully explore what it is capable of, the editor is essential. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

9 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Spectrum doesn’t require a deep dive to use. There’s loads available from the 6 presets on the toggle switch and you get access to 8 parameters from the pedal surface so a decent amount of variation can be had without ever touching the editor. I’m pretty sure there’ll be people who buy one and never need to. However, to fully explore what it is capable of, the editor is essential. 

👍

And the Spectrum is also a darned sight cheaper than the 3Leaf Proton (2020) which is also going to be in its favour!

Edited by Al Krow

• 1 month later...

Currently enjoying Aguilar twin filter and MXR BEF

working Well for me, the MXR has the edge when it comes to our and out dirty funk sound, wider range than the aguilar

The Aguilar is so easy to dial in a good sound, very musical and usable in my opinion!

Not got my boomstick bottom feeder back yet!

and the valeton octave pedal I got a bout a month back is staying on my board, £35 well spent and sounds great into either of the filters!

nice simple board at moment 

Tuner  -  valeton OC -10. -  MXR BEF. -  Aguilar twin filter. -  Dunlop mini bass wah (the Little white one) 

Tony 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Adding this to the mix as our very own @GisserD got his mitts on one:

Oh wow. Just when I thought I was done, this is seriously making me reconsider things... could replace my Xerograph with the Dusk and then have the whole board tempo synced via midi clock... 

Hi My name is GisserD and i have an addiction to envelope filter pedals. This one is the Dr Scientist - Dusk

demo here 

1. clean bass - fender jazz elute 5 passive mode, both pickups full. 95% tone

2. dusk env mode - filter at 11 and resonance at 3. internal trim sens +1/4 turn

3. dry gated fuzz (fairydance - Farting rainbow)

4. gated fuzz into env mode

5. gated fuzz into env mode 2

6. clean into sine LFO

7. clean into sine LFO 2

8. (and on.... )messing with the expression controll

Early conclusions. 

1.The filter itself sounds AMAZING!

2. i have no more early conclusions

dusk demo.mp3

• Like 3