Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

19 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

OK I went a bit mad there and started worrying (seriously) about my mental health and addictive buying behaviour. I’ve ended up returning the Moogerfoogers and the Glou-Glou and feel a lot saner already. 

Q - massive well done for doing that, mate. Pedals are a slippery slope of musigatory (yes I know that's not a word) delight and very easy to get sucked in.  I think folk like @dannybuoy and @GisserD are very impressive / disciplined at moving stuff on once they've decided they've got something better and actually that's to the rest of our benefit for sure - I've still got first dibs on your PM2 Darren, btw :)

I've had quite a big splurge this year on various bits of gear, too, but I've tried to broadly keep the bigger picture of 'how is this going to fit in with either my gigging or being creative' at the back of my mind at all times. And with the more expensive stuff e.g. basses it's been broadly a case of one in one out so I'm ending the year with four instead of the three (not including a relatively inexpensive Stagg EUB) and the same also with amps (2 combos and one separate amp & cab at year end as compared to 3 combos at the start of year).

Can't say there hasn't been a bit of an upgrade along the way, though! (I'm justifying that to myself as my bands are starting to do functions as well as pub gigs now :)). Speaking of which it is kinda interesting just how 'high-end' some of our gear that we take for granted is on this forum is compared to 'Joe-bass-player'. Me and @KotorTom were in PMT Cambridge on Saturday and found they only stocked Ashdowns and Orange amp heads. Markbass was considered too 'high end' for their customers - which is amusing given the amount of stick I've had for my trusty Markbass combo from some of my BC buddies!

What we do need to get you to do is a proper full on comparative review of all your filters just like the marvellous one @Bo0tsy posted at the start of this thread (actually Bo0tsy if you fancy 'cleaning up' via an edit of your post so that all the 'upgrade' clutter is removed, that would be marvellous - or just delete and repost if you've got it saved elsewhere). 

Sermon over :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think folk like @dannybuoy are very impressive / disciplined at moving stuff on once they've decided they've got something better

xD

If only. I have about 20 pedals, 10 basses and an amp I need to shift but I'm just too damned unimpressive and undisciplined to list them! Fortunately the prices of most of this gear has gone up in the last few years, so I look at them as investments!

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Q - massive well done for doing that, mate.

Thanks, Bas. I needed to put the brakes on a bit. There are still things I’d like to try out and potentially get but I need to be more critical and strict about it. I really did feel like I was losing it. I’ll feel much better once both my refunds have come in.

The Moogerfoogers sounded fantastic but the lowpass filter isn’t responsive enough to the envelope of a passive bass for me (which is what I’d be using it for). Also, no down sweep without buying a further piece of kit was a turn-off.

The Glou-Glou Avant Garde is also a great pedal but there were really only two sounds (of the available many) that I would’ve been getting it for (admittedly they are fantastic sounds). It’s a lot of cash just for two sounds.

I didn’t find that having the second envelope brought much (except being able to have 2 envelope-based presets, one filter, one phaser). In fact, one of the routing options (the one to assign the envelopes to the opposite effects) was a bit pointless as you’d need to change the other parameters to get it to work anyway. I couldn’t find any combination of running two parallel envelopes that yielded usable sounds (for me). The LFO in the AVG was pretty good as it was nice to be able to add LFO to the envelope but it didn’t go slowly enough to use for “normal” phaser sweeping.

I still feel that the Rendez Vous would be the one to go for. However, I’m going to sit back and see what Olivier comes up with in his new, smaller and cheaper pedal. 

I finally got a reply from WMD devices about the availability of the Protostar. Apparently they are waiting for some components for the next build run. Should be available early in the new year.

Got a few answers to my questions too:

The FX loop is like others on filters in that the FX comes after the instrument input but before the filter stage such that the instrument’s input signal controls the sweep, which is applied to any effects in the loop.

Stackable CV cables exist, so it is possible to route one modulation source to multiple parameters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 15:00, elephantgrey said:

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1507631047' post='3386835']
I still haven't seen anything that has the same squelchy low end as the original DOD FX25. Most others I've tried open up in a similar way but rather than hitting a point where it goes bleeeaughhhghgh' they carry on up the envelope to a whistle. If you see what I mean.
[/quote]
Even with all the controls of my wmd protostar, it is a real hard sweet spot to hit.

@elephantgrey, do you have any clips or videos of your protostar? It’s one that I’m seriously considering getting (if anyone in Europe ever gets one in stock again).

On 27/12/2017 at 18:54, Quatschmacher said:

Anyone used one of these? They look interesting:

https://subdecay.com/effect/prometheus-dlx

I have the normal Prometheus and it's awesome. Really versatile. I've used the Prom DLX and I have the Quasar DLX (Same idea but a Phaser) and it is VERY cool. Lots of tonal variation, and different kinds of filters etc. Great pedal!

3 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Little nugget of gold I just discovered, for those who may be interested - the Fwonkbeta is actually digital! Another case to disprove the old “analog must be better than digital” prejudice.

Yup, which is why it’s a quiet pedal (in a good way) too. Same goes for the Xerograph.

1 minute ago, Higgie said:

I have the normal Prometheus and it's awesome. Really versatile. I've used the Prom DLX and I have the Quasar DLX (Same idea but a Phaser) and it is VERY cool. Lots of tonal variation, and different kinds of filters etc. Great pedal!

Does it do “standard” envelope controlled filter sweeping?

29 minutes ago, Bo0tsy said:

I have a used Moog MF 101 on the way. Itching to give this a good work out, and see how this compares to other filters on the synthier side of things.

It’s a great sounding filter, the envelope control wasn’t as sensitive as I would’ve liked and there’s no down sweep.

• Like 1