Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

44 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That’s very strange. Nothing like that has ever happened with mine. How are you powering it?

I was running it via a daisy chain with three low-consumption pedals. I’ll try it today with its own dedicated supply and see if it happens again. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

I was running it via a daisy chain with three low-consumption pedals. I’ll try it today with its own dedicated supply and see if it happens again. 

Well I’ve never had any issues daisy chaining my Source Audio pedals. Hmmm. Might be worth contacting SA themselves - their customer service is excellent and they’ll definitely help you out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Sounds like a fault to me. Head over to this thread on Talkbass: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/source-audio-sorcerers-society-s-a-s-s-part-3.1056621/

and get in touch with rsmith601 (president of Source Audio). He’ll sort you out in a jiffy.

Thanks, I’ve sent him a PM. 

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Hmm. I didn't find it to be the most responsive of pedals to be honest. My experience of filter pedals is increasingly that they're quite delicate beasts and input level, type of string, playing style can have a big impact upon how they sound....so I sold it. I found the MXR one to be the same to be honest. Yet the Groove Regulator is fantastic, as is the Fwonkbeat. The Engima Q Balls is variable - good on some basses, suspect on others!

• Like 1

On 23/11/2017 at 23:24, dodge_bass said:

Hmm. I didn't find it to be the most responsive of pedals to be honest. My experience of filter pedals is increasingly that they're quite delicate beasts and input level, type of string, playing style can have a big impact upon how they sound....so I sold it. I found the MXR one to be the same to be honest. Yet the Groove Regulator is fantastic, as is the Fwonkbeat. The Engima Q Balls is variable - good on some basses, suspect on others!

Yep, this is true. They work better using single pickups and better on the front pickup I find. The MXR one is definitely set up with active basses in mind as I had to set it to about 3 o’clock and above to get it to work on my passive basses.

Never tried the GR or GR2. The Fwonkbeta is fantastic but I found that my Qballs gets those sounds for me and it works great with my basses.

This is probably obvious but one needs to have the tone control on the bass wide open otherwise there aren’t any high frequencies to sweep. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Congratulations. (You're completely bonkers in the nicest possible way, but I know you've been GASing for this for a while! :crazy: and there again I'm about to get a six string bass, so I'm sure the same thing could reasonably be said of me. And in my case that wasn't even planned, it just happened...)  Looking forward to your detailed review when you've had a chance to put it through its paces and maybe even upload some sound clips of it in your favourite settings?

Edited by Al Krow

58 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congratulations. (You're completely bonkers in the nicest possible way, but I know you've been GASing for this for a while! :crazy: and there again I'm about to get a six string bass, so I'm sure the same thing could reasonably be said of me. And in my case that wasn't even planned, it just happened...)  Looking forward to your detailed review when you've had a chance to put it through its paces and maybe even upload some sound clips of it in your favourite settings?

Yep, it feels very decadent. Consider it taking one for the team; the more money Olivier earns, the more he can plough into the cheaper 9V filter he’s working on, which you guys can buy. I might need to purge some other pedals soon in light of this. Managed to shift my MXR BEF and Octamizer this week so it’s not so bad.

and yes, I’ll get some clips done. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@GisserD Hey Darren any news on your PM2 from Bax - has yours arrived yet? No sign of mine so far...I'll give them a little chase.

Yeah they send me an email to say it was delayed. They expect delivery in week 48 which starts tomorrow. Then it takes a few days to get here. So at the latest, I'm expecting it 6th December?

Tbh I'm having so much fun with the zero, I'm not really missing it yet. 

Got a groove regulator 2 comming next week as well :)

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Yeah they send me an email to say it was delayed. They expect delivery in week 48 which starts tomorrow. Then it takes a few days to get here. So at the latest, I'm expecting it 6th December?

Tbh I'm having so much fun with the zero, I'm not really missing it yet. 

Got a groove regulator 2 comming next week as well :)

Let us all know just how you get on with the GR2' ive had mine a few years now & still find new fonky sounds with it...( Best filter 3 leaf have made..I.M.O)

5 hours ago, paulo m said:

Let us all know just how you get on with the GR2' ive had mine a few years now & still find new fonky sounds with it...( Best filter 3 leaf have made..I.M.O)

I did consider getting the one that was up for sale but the lack of resonance control on the top put me off (there is a two-position dip switch inside).

@paulo m, have you had it side by side with the Wonderlove? If so, why do you prefer the GR2?

Edited by Quatschmacher

8 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I did consider getting the one that was up for sale but the lack of resonance control on the top put me off (there is a two-position dip switch inside).

@paulo m, have you had it side by side with the Wonderlove? If so, why do you prefer the GR2?

Hi there' earlier in this thread i have said that ive owned  3 filters from Spencer @ 3 leaf.. Proton' Wonderlove' & GR2  the latter being the most responsive' with ease of use.. really' far better sounding response from the filter..I.M.O & when paired with octave & drive pedals  it too my ears' is just more flexible & easier to arrive at useable sounds Quickly!!  This is all subjective of course' but in my experience & also looking @ the price they command on the used market....the GR2 is a desirable unit indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulo m said:

Hi there' earlier in this thread i have said that ive owned  3 filters from Spencer @ 3 leaf.. Proton' Wonderlove' & GR2  the latter being the most responsive' with ease of use.. really' far better sounding response from the filter..I.M.O & when paired with octave & drive pedals  it too my ears' is just more flexible & easier to arrive at useable sounds Quickly!!  This is all subjective of course' but in my experience & also looking @ the price they command on the used market....the GR2 is a desirable unit indeed.

:biggrin: mine just arrived

• Like 1

On 23/11/2017 at 12:27, Quatschmacher said:

I’ve had a thing happening on this where I’ll be making some adjustments and then the knobs cease to have any effect. I then have to switch to bypass and back in order to restore functionality. Have you experienced this, @Al Krow, @CameronJ, @GisserD, @BNB71?

I’ve had a reply from Nathan Navarro of Source Audio:

Apparently the LED not always moving on is normal.

The locking up thing is a bug and one which he was able to replicate on their gear so he’s passed it to the engineers and hopefully there’ll be a bug fix. It basically happens if you cycle quickly through the “option” button.

@CameronJ, @GisserD, @Al Krow, @BNB71

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1