Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

10 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’ve decided to let my MXR BEF go as I’m focusing on low pass filters.

I’ve negotiated a deal on a Moogerfooger lowpass filter from my local shop and may even get a bit more off on Friday.  

Keen to hear your thoughts on the Moog MF 101 once you get it, will you be getting an expression pedal with it too? That's the next one on my list, just a bit scared about going down the Moog rabbit hole! 

20 minutes ago, Bo0tsy said:

Keen to hear your thoughts on the Moog MF 101 once you get it, will you be getting an expression pedal with it too? That's the next one on my lis

I already know I like it as I rented one from faxpedalrentals.com. It’s worth doing to get a feel. The patch bay is really versatile. I’ll be getting the phaser too as it opens up loads of possibilities, eg using its LFO to open the filter, or using the envelope to sweep the phaser. The main thing lacking on the filter is a down sweep but I’m looking into finding a CV inverter which should hopefully solve that.

I’m also seriously thinking about getting a Glou Glou pedal too as I really loved it. I may well have to list a few other pedals for sale and possibly even a bass. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

I like the CV converter idea to get a downsweep. How did you find the bypass when you tried the Moog? I've seen some people suggest you need a bypass looper to get round it, and that puts me off a bit. That Moog Phaser sounds amazing too btw. Holding out for a deal on a Mu Fx Phasor 2x if I ever find one, as have fallen out of love with my old Russian Small Stone...maybe we need a "if you could only choose one Phaser thread"! 

31 minutes ago, Bo0tsy said:

I like the CV converter idea to get a downsweep. How did you find the bypass when you tried the Moog? I've seen some people suggest you need a bypass looper to get round it, and that puts me off a bit. That Moog Phaser sounds amazing too btw. Holding out for a deal on a Mu Fx Phasor 2x if I ever find one, as have fallen out of love with my old Russian Small Stone...maybe we need a "if you could only choose one Phaser thread"! 

I didn’t pay the bypass much mind to be honest. Besides, I was running it through a crappy amp and only at home so didn’t really give it the most rigorous test in that respect.

Btw, the phaser in the Rendez Vous is pretty cool, especially as you can route the envelope or the LFO to it and it can be between 1 and 6 stages with loads of options for feedback being in or out of phase with the dry signal and being inverted. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

The Moog bypass is supposedly a bit like a slightly coloured preamp - hated by some so that they use a true bypass loop; but on the other hand I have heard of at least one person who loved the sound of that always-on preamp so much they got a custom made mini box to replicate it's tone!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

One thing I do remember about the Moog filter is that it wasn’t quite as responsive to the envelope as some other pedals.

@Bo0tsy, did you see the Xerograph sale post I tagged you in?

Yes I saw the Xerograph for sale thanks, I think I'll hold out for a Moog. The Xerograph sounds great but very close to my Chunk 00Funk/Octavius Squeezer (to my ears anyway). 

2 hours ago, Bo0tsy said:

Yes I saw the Xerograph for sale thanks, I think I'll hold out for a Moog. The Xerograph sounds great but very close to my Chunk 00Funk/Octavius Squeezer (to my ears anyway). 

Does the chunk do self-oscillation? The Xerograph does (as does the Moog). Both are capable of super high resonance. 

4 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Does the chunk do self-oscillation? The Xerograph does (as does the Moog). Both are capable of super high resonance. 

No self oscillation on the Chunk 00Funk, but the Octavius Squeezer is. They are both super synthy like the Xerograph. Another filter that is meant to be of similar ilk and is also self oscillating (and rarer than unicorn tears) is the Frostwave Funk-a-Duck. 

17 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

@GisserD, if I’ve interpreted correctly and you are the person who bought Andy’s Xerograph, would you mind sharing your experience with it with the rest of us? Thanks. 

my covert message was received!

yes sure, ill post something on this thread as and when i do. i mainly baught it to make dubstep style synth sounds, not as a funky envelope filter. but we will see what it can do.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2017 at 13:46, Quatschmacher said:

Have you seen those Manta demo videos with the Hot Hand controller? That does dubstep stuff really well.  

Yeah I have one. It' a great filter! But I just prefer some of the others. It sounds thin to my ears. 

I cant be seen wanggging my hand all over the place with a hot hand. Id look utterly rediculous!

I tried the xerograph and the broadcast last night. WOW! I never heard a filter like this. With the resonance set just right it can get into synth terrtory all on its own. But running the mastotron fuzz or Zeus through it and it' effing huuuuge!!!! Very fun.

The broadcast allows me to sync the synth wabs with exp pedal to tempo, x2, X4, x8 and x16. & x0.5 but God knows why this is at the top end of the exp range. 

So far I'm very impressed. So far so that I I already incorporated it onto my board

15113328885041135677162.jpg

Edited by GisserD

5 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

OK, the Manta is really cool. Wish I’d tried this sooner. 

Tried it with an expression pedal or hot hand yet? I used the MIDI hub with mine (which I still have going spare) which lets you use any expression pedal with it.

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Yeah I have one. It' a great filter! But I just prefer some of the others. It sounds thin to my ears. 

I cant be seen wanggging my hand all over the place with a hot hand. Id look utterly rediculous!

I tried the xerograph and the broadcast last night. WOW! I never heard a filter like this. With the resonance set just right it can get into synth terrtory all on its own. But running the mastotron fuzz or Zeus through it and it' effing huuuuge!!!! Very fun.

The broadcast allows me to sync the synth wabs with exp pedal to tempo, x2, X4, x8 and x16. & x0.5 but God knows why this is at the top end of the exp range. 

So far I'm very impressed. So far so that I I already incorporated it onto my board

That's an impressive amount of firepower on your board, Darren!  Interesting what's made the 'cut' and what you've decided to leave off (e.g. the Manta, Cog T16 / T65, Mad Prof Snow White etc.). Be interesting to see how the PM2 fits in, and indeed what it replaces on the board, when it arrives!  Should we be expecting another GisserD pedal board clearout extravaganza some time soon? :) 

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's an impressive amount of firepower on your board, Darren!  Interesting what's made the 'cut' and what you've decided to leave off (e.g. the Manta, Cog T16 / T65, Mad Prof Snow White etc.). Be interesting to see how the PM2 fits in, and indeed what it replaces on the board, when it arrives!  Should we be expecting another GisserD pedal board clearout extravaganza some time soon? :) 

Thanks Al, im calling it my "pedalboard of doom" because its geared towards the filthy synth sounds ATM. And my god is it filthy.

My octave of choice is the Zeus for the moment it tracks very well. its pretty much only tor that, it just happens to have another gnarly fuzz on the other side of it. 

Theres an awful lot that diddnt make it on! the space around the xerograph and BEF is my "filter sandpit". i change filters in and out of on a regular basis. Sometimes daily! I have a feeling xero might be hanging around a whyle tho :)

Yes i was thinking of having another fundraising clearout soon. watch this space...

11 hours ago, GisserD said:

Argh, you’re making me regret not having said yes to these two when Andy offered me them in a bundle with the Subterranea for a really cheap price.

12 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

No, I hadn’t realised they make you buy their own expression pedal which is a bit annoying.

With the hub you can use any exp you fancy..... Spec depending of corse. The SA exp pedal has a trrs out so you can use it without the hub if I recall. I have a SA exp I'd be willing to trade if you have one with a bigger range of movement?

The SA feels very like a cry baby. I prefer a more Morley type movement. More room for error when trying to nail certain lfo speeds

Speaking of the SA Manta - I've found it to definitely be a pedal that needs it's full current draw. Mine was definitely not happy being limited to 100mA from my Ciocks causing its particular isolated output to cut out; much happier now that its got access to 200mA via a current doubler (the 300mA already both taken by Zoom B3n and Two Notes, both which are rated at 500mA but in their cases seem fine on less).

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Speaking of the SA Manta - I've found it to definitely be a pedal that needs it's full current draw. Mine was definitely not happy being limited to 100mA from my Ciocks causing its particular isolated output to cut out; much happier now that its got access to 200mA via a current doubler (the 300mA already both taken by Zoom B3n and Two Notes, both which are rated at 500mA but in their cases seem fine on less).

I’ve had a thing happening on this where I’ll be making some adjustments and then the knobs cease to have any effect. I then have to switch to bypass and back in order to restore functionality. Have you experienced this, @Al Krow, @CameronJ, @GisserD, @BNB71?