Why become a member? ×

Lightweight conversion?

Mr.T

Hi,

I have been thinking about trading in my Trace Elliot 1153 (1x15) and 2103 (2x10 + 1x5) cabs for something more lightweight.... My back isn't what it used to be!

Would probably cost me about £700 or so?

Then I thought "What about just swapping out the speakers for Neo's, which I could get for about £200 on E-B*y"... (Celestion Green label 15" and Orange label 10"s)

Good idea/Bad idea?
How much weight would I save?

I've no idea what speakers the Trace is using (Celestions presumably?) but I seem to remember that Eminence Beta 10s weigh about 2lb more than the Deltalites. So at a guess you'd be saving maybe 10lbs. Most of the weight comes from the wood in the cabs.

[quote name='Musky' post='323465' date='Nov 6 2008, 02:40 PM']So at a guess you'd be saving maybe 10lbs. Most of the weight comes from the wood in the cabs.[/quote]

Hi Musky,

Sounds like I'll have to look into new cabs to go 'light'.
I'd never heard of lightweight bass cabs before joining this forum a few days ago.
I live in a sleepy backwater and obviously need to get out more!!!!

I've trawled the net and there is just sooooo much choice.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='323467' date='Nov 6 2008, 02:44 PM']I thought the 1153 was pretty lightweight for a 15 anyway - I was actually looking out for one to add a bit more bottom to my 10" iAmp 350 combo so let me know if you want to get rid of it![/quote]

Hi Danny,

The 1153 is fairly light... it is my 2x10 cab that I find awkward at about 65lbs.
I'll pm you if and when I sell.

I just like the idea of 'really' light cabs.

So do I but I like the idea of really cheap cabs at the moment and I know that 1153 is a good 'un that's really good bang for buck. Check out Alex's cabs at barefacedbass.com. You might be able to get away with replacing both of your cabs with a single 'Big One' (it's not that big).

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='323484' date='Nov 6 2008, 02:57 PM']So do I but I like the idea of really cheap cabs at the moment and I know that 1153 is a good 'un that's really good bang for buck. Check out Alex's cabs at barefacedbass.com. You might be able to get away with replacing both of your cabs with a single 'Big One' (it's not that big).[/quote]

Thanks, I'll take a look.

How much would you pay for a 1153 in very nice condition?

I swapped out the speakers in my Ashdown 2x10 for the new Ashdown Superfly 10"s and dumped nearly 18lbs (8 kilos) and the whole cab now weighs just 44lbs (20 kilos). Having now moved to a neo 2x12 single cab solution I'm actually selling that [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28130&hl="]2x10[/url]. A shameless plug, but I'm OK with it.

I sold my nearly mint vinyl 1153 with replacement Celestion 300w 4ohm driver and vinyl cover for about £200 a couple of years ago.

You'll find out loads about lightweight cabs here.

my tuppence worth is that I now run a single Schroeder 1212L which would easily replace your 2 cabs and come in at around your budget

[quote name='Delberthot' post='323661' date='Nov 6 2008, 06:50 PM']I sold my nearly mint vinyl 1153 with replacement Celestion 300w 4ohm driver and vinyl cover for about £200 a couple of years ago.

You'll find out loads about lightweight cabs here.

my tuppence worth is that I now run a single Schroeder 1212L which would easily replace your 2 cabs and come in at around your budget[/quote]

There seems to be an almost overwhelming choice of cabs available.
The problem I have is that:
1). I am a bit out of touch with whats hot and whats not.
2). I live miles away from a big music store.
3). I have bought gear from shops in the past, only to be dissappointed when gigging.

I read up on the Shroeder which gets rave reviews.... not sure about having my amp so low to the floor?

It is not 'size' that is an issue here, it is weight... (My back is pretty shot!).
My Trace cabs are awkward to pick up as the handles don't seem to have been designed with 'lugging it across a car park on your own in mind'.
Would be nice to load/unload my cabs without waiting for a hand from one of the other band members.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='323994' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:41 AM']I read up on the Shroeder which gets rave reviews.... not sure about having my amp so low to the floor?[/quote]

Stand it on its side

I actually have it the other way up now with the angled speaker downfiring (I don't use the tweeter at the moment)

Edited by ezbass

Here is where my thinking is at... so far!

Either:
One Shroeder 1212L (19kg)
or
Two Zoot 1x12's (12kg each)

(Either option would cost about the same at £550-£600).

... and keep my Trace GP12 250smx head.

I know that the only way to be sure is to gig them, but all comments will be gratefully received as I will have to buy either set-up mail order and take my chances.

The Schroeder 1212r/1212l has one speaker angled away from the cab, i stand mine on it's side as in the photo above and it gives an even spread of sound all over the stage and plenty out front.
I'm looking into getting a horizontal amp stand to raise it a bit if i need to:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIRAFFE-CLICK-SYSTEM-TILTABLE-GUITAR-AMP-COMBO-STAND_W0QQitemZ200272155425QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200272155425&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1432|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIRAFFE-CLICK-SYSTEM...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

Not surprised your back is shot... look at the bike! :)

I wouldn't worry about the Schroeder's height it tends to be heard pretty clearly regardless of proximity (mid hump I believe but don't let that make you think that it lacks bottom end). The Zoots get good reviews and are very similar to the Tecamp cabs at a fraction of the price. I've not heard Alex or BFM's cabs but they seem to be well spec'd and receive glowing praise.

I do have to say that if you are considering a single cab that weighs 19kg then why not 2 that weigh 19kg? You'd only ever be carrying one at a time! In which case you can then start to consider a lot of alternatives, inc the Aguilar GS/DB12's which would come in under your budget. Oh it starts getting really messy when you can't try them first, I should know I went through the same process due to a dicky shoulder.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='324180' date='Nov 7 2008, 01:31 PM']Not surprised your back is shot... look at the bike! :)[/quote]

Fortunately, I don't have to pick the bike up.... I didn't exactly build it to be lightwieght!

If only I still had my Bass roadie, this wouldn't be an issue. I could get the big old Trace 4 x 10 out again.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='324222' date='Nov 7 2008, 02:40 PM'][b]Fortunately, I don't have to pick the bike up....[/b] I didn't exactly build it to be lightwieght!

If only I still had my Bass roadie, this wouldn't be an issue. I could get the big old Trace 4 x 10 out again.[/quote]

Ah, I was thinking posture. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='324245' date='Nov 7 2008, 03:25 PM']Which cab do you prefer the sound of, your 2x10"+5" or your 1x15"? Or more precisely, whose highs do you prefer, whose mids and whose lows? How do you set your EQ normally? What's your ideal bass sound?

Alex[/quote]

Hi,

Good question but... I have only ever gigged using both of them together, so difficult to say which one I prefer.
I set my amp EQ with the middle slightly cut, and tend to only adjust the bass boost on my Status to suit the venue, turning the treble cut on the bass for one or two numbers we play.

I guess I would describe my sound as 'Old School'.... kind of warm but with a ring to it (If that makes sense).
I don't like 'farty' or 'clanky' sounding bass.
I play mainly finger style (with the odd slap and pull off) and use chords a fair amount.

Ideal bass sound?
Pino when playing with Paul Young... without so much chorus.
Mark King... His solo stuff when playing 'fingers'.

I am not wanting to change my cabs to get a better sound (although warmer would be nice)... It is really just a weight thing!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='324447' date='Nov 7 2008, 07:52 PM']I am not wanting to change my cabs to get a better sound (although warmer would be nice)... It is really just a weight thing![/quote]

I can totally see that, those old TE cabs, particularly the 2x10"+5" were really great for their era and still stack up well now. Before spending any money it could help to try each cab individually - you might really miss that 5" speaker if you go for a conventional woofer+tweeter cab but then again you might not.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='324466' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:25 PM']I can totally see that, those old TE cabs, particularly the 2x10"+5" were really great for their era and still stack up well now. Before spending any money it could help to try each cab individually - you might really miss that 5" speaker if you go for a conventional woofer+tweeter cab but then again you might not.

Alex[/quote]

Good advice, thanks.
I'll try that and report back.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='324150' date='Nov 7 2008, 12:50 PM']The Schroeder 1212r/1212l has one speaker angled away from the cab, i stand mine on it's side as in the photo above and it gives an even spread of sound all over the stage and plenty out front.
I'm looking into getting a horizontal amp stand to raise it a bit if i need to:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIRAFFE-CLICK-SYSTEM-TILTABLE-GUITAR-AMP-COMBO-STAND_W0QQitemZ200272155425QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200272155425&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1432|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIRAFFE-CLICK-SYSTEM...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url][/quote]

Those stands are the dogs sloblock.

I've had one for a few years now. they'll take almost anything. I used to use an Ashdown ABM115 big beast of a thing as a monitor angled up at me on mine.

I mainly just put the Schroeder on it but if space is tight I'll sit it horizontal and but my rack on top of it.

really light, fold completely flat and tough as you like.

As far as carrying cabs goes- The recessed, non moving ones (like the ones Schroeder uses) are more user friendly for carrying one handed rather than the hinged ones that Trace used.

You don't say where you are from - you may be surprised to find a lightweight cab owner near you that may let you try.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='324629' date='Nov 8 2008, 12:44 AM']As far as carrying cabs goes- The recessed, non moving ones (like the ones Schroeder uses) are more user friendly for carrying one handed rather than the hinged ones that Trace used.

You don't say where you are from - you may be surprised to find a lightweight cab owner near you that may let you try.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head... It is as much a problem with those hinged handles.

I weighed the cabs last night and they come out at around:
1 x 15 = 55lbs.
2 x 10 + 5 = 70lbs.

Not lightweights, but not ridiculously heavy either!

.... and I am West Cornwall.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='324689' date='Nov 8 2008, 09:47 AM']You hit the nail on the head... It is as much a problem with those hinged handles.

I weighed the cabs last night and they come out at around:
1 x 15 = 55lbs.
2 x 10 + 5 = 70lbs.

Not lightweights, but not ridiculously heavy either!

.... and I am West Cornwall.[/quote]

70lbs for the 2x10? My Ashdown now only weighs 44lbs. Has the hard recessed handles too. (More shameless plugging)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='324245' date='Nov 7 2008, 03:25 PM']Which cab do you prefer the sound of, your 2x10"+5" or your 1x15"? Or more precisely, whose highs do you prefer, whose mids and whose lows? How do you set your EQ normally? What's your ideal bass sound?

Alex[/quote]

Ok, I have tried each cab (albeit in my front room), one at a time and....
Well, to my ears they don't sound enormously different!

With a small tweak of my Status on-board EQ, I can get more than enough top, bottom or middle out of either cab without even reaching for the graphic on my amp.

So...
Do I need a tweeter.... probably not.
What cabs no I get to replace these.... I have no idea!

p.s. Anyone know the weight of a 'Big Deep One'?

Edited by Mr.T