Why become a member? ×

Most overrated bands

spectoremg

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1505298615' post='3370791']

Blimey, tough crowd!
An amazing body of work over 45 years, universally acclaimed live shows, killer band , supporter of human rights - just for starters.

For me, Springsteen carried on the legacy of Chuck Berry - songs people could easily relate to about girls, cars, the American Dream etc.
But he also matured into so much more, his prolific songwriting skills developing with each album without ever making a duffer IMO.
I've been fortunate to see him perform a few times, and he remains the best live act I've ever seen. Always delivers, with a wry sense
of humour that complements his more 'serious' material perfectly.

Fully understand if you don't like him, but overrated? Nah...........
[/quote]

That's bang on how I feel.

I don't like his stuff but he's a true hardworking pro surrounded by very capable musicians.

I fully understand why people like his music, it's just not for me.

Pink Floyd on the other hand... I don't get it. Not even as just a soundtrack to an admittedly amazing laser and light show.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1505684718' post='3373597']
I listened to them a fair bit a few years back, and I never truly enjoyed them. They seem to try hard to be wacky and eccentric, with a focus on making mosh-friendly nerd metal of a sort. A lot of their tracks seem to be built along the same structure; some wierd angular off-kilter slap bass riff starts us off. This is then paired with pounding basic 4/4 metal drums, and the guitarist playing atonal and dissonant chords over the top. Then Les Claypool sings with that thinly nerdy hick voice, delivering some surreal monologue nasally. Then there is the big heavy mosh-friendly chorus.... repeat [i]ad nauseum.[/i] All just a bit self indulgent, and sometimes you want a proper bass tone and not something that sounds like popcorn being made in a massive metal drum. Les Claypool's voice is terrible. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a singling voice. It is terrible on all his weird self indulgent side projects (check out that crap with Sean Lennon or that other crap with Stewart Copeland). Primus' music, for me, is more a proof of concept than actual usable music. I've seen it compared to the work of Zappa and Rush, but it lacks the technical finesse and memorability of the latter and the daggers-out lampooning and compositional exquisiteness of the former.

I disagree with whoever claimed Steely Dan were an overrated band, as Steely Dan weren't a band at all; they were two dudes and a bunch of hired guns filling the ranks. A bit like Primus, I consider their music to be a proof-of-concept of sorts. The core members of Steely Dan managed the risk right out of their music by bringing in instrumentalists that would definitely get the job done. Why they ended up making music that sounds like it was exclusively for the Martha's Vineyard yachty set, while gently lampooning the exact same yachty set, is beyond me. Why write tunes that portray vulgar people in a slightly unflattering light, over and over again? Plus, I consider some of their best work (Peg and Do It Again spring to mind) as sort of annoying on repeated listening.
[/quote]

While I don't entirely agree with everything you say, I have to admit that this post is one of the best-written I have ever read on Basschat. Top work indeed! B) :heart: :hi: :drinks:

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1505298615' post='3370791']
Blimey, tough crowd!
An amazing body of work over 45 years, universally acclaimed live shows, killer band , supporter of human rights - just for starters.

For me, Springsteen carried on the legacy of Chuck Berry - songs people could easily relate to about girls, cars, the American Dream etc.
But he also matured into so much more, his prolific songwriting skills developing with each album without ever making a duffer IMO.
I've been fortunate to see him perform a few times, and he remains the best live act I've ever seen. Always delivers, with a wry sense
of humour that complements his more 'serious' material perfectly.

Fully understand if you don't like him, but overrated? Nah...........
[/quote]

Another Bruce fan here, but haven't really been a fan of a lot of his work post "Tunnel of Love" - it all seems a bit bland to me, and doesn't possess any of the imagery contained in his work between 1973 - 1988. Whenever I watch any live footage on YouTube, I always gravitate towards the late 70's / early 80's footage when he was (imo) at his best.

However - best live performer I've seen, wouldn't say he's overrated - the Bob Dylan of my generation.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1505753178' post='3374037']

Another Bruce fan here, but haven't really been a fan of a lot of his work post "Tunnel of Love" - it all seems a bit bland to me, and doesn't possess any of the imagery contained in his work between 1973 - 1988. Whenever I watch any live footage on YouTube, I always gravitate towards the late 70's / early 80's footage when he was (imo) at his best.

However - best live performer I've seen, wouldn't say he's overrated - the Bob Dylan of my generation.
[/quote]

I'm a "Jersey Boy" like Bruce, same age too.

I'm not a big fan but he gets the whole live performance peice of the puzzle.

He's a top notch entertainer.

Blue

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1505754645' post='3374063']
Weather Report. Everyone loves Jaco, but as far as I,m concerned it just bores me shitless. How many notes can you play, and how fast? (yawn) :sleep:
[/quote]

Jaco is not known for playing fast or for playing a lot of notes.

He's known for being fatastic.

Please tell me your under 60 years of age.

Blue

Weather Report. Everyone loves Jaco, but as far as I,m concerned it just bores me shitless. How many notes can you play, and how fast? (yawn) :sleep:
[/quote]

I am sure you don't mean that. But on the other hand, coming from you, possibly 'Sour Grapes' ?.., :D

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1505693733' post='3373639']
The Stones being called "the worlds Greatest Rick n Roll band" was always a marketing thing. Its a title they gave themselves in the 60s and launched it with a big gig. I can't recall much of the line-up but The Who were the penultimate band.

The cameras were there and a film was being made of the whole gig. The film was proof do all to see that they were the greatest.

The Who went on and the crowd went wild. The ended with their defiant statement of smashing guitars and drums exploding. Smoke filled the air and many of the audience left.... and then The Rolling Stones came on. They gave a mediocre performance and the film has never seen the light of day...

Or so it says in the Keith Moon biography.
I'm sure someone here will have another version, and corrections, but this is how I recall the reading of it.

Sorry, back to "over rated bands"
[/quote]

It was called 'The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus', and I think it got released eventually... 30 years later. Incidentally it contains the only time Tony Iommi appeared as part of Jethro Tull, and possibly my favourite 'A Quick One' the Who ever did.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1505771296' post='3374259']

Oh yes.... A bit :)
[/quote]

That's what I thought. I'm not a huge Jaco fan, but I've been around long enough to understand and appreciate what he brought to the table.

Jaco is what I call a "Once in lifetime" artist. Nobody was there in that spot before him and nobody has riveled him since.

Blue

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1505760134' post='3374140']
Zeppelin, Lenny Kravitz, Meatloaf, Neil Young, Joe Bonnamassa, Gregory Porter, Michael Buble.

Rather see the dentist.
[/quote]

I get all the other guys, never got or understood what Lenny had to offer other than he looks the part.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1505776847' post='3374290']

That's what I thought. I'm not a huge Jaco fan, but I've been around long enough to understand and appreciate what he brought to the table.

Jaco is what I call a "Once in lifetime" artist. Nobody was there in that spot before him and nobody has riveled him since.

Blue
[/quote]+1.

I've tried to keep out of this! The Clash were a great band and never tried to be anything but The Clash.

Maybe being there at the time would have helped to understand them? Well, I'm a little too young to say "I was there" (51) at the beginning. I wish I was but I wasn't.

They created, along with the Pistols etc a new way of looking at music and attitude. If folk don't like it, then fair enough but The Clash etc created a movement of people who changed the world. Over rated has nothing to do with it at all? How on earth can you overrate those events? For goodness sake, how many, nothing short of boy bands preceeded them who never had the talent to write a note or lyric for themselves? Ring any Bells?

The Clash did what they did. Most folk who like The Clash love the music but are absolutely engrossed with the lyrics. They actually had something to say. If you can't see what the Clash and the punk movement, at time actually did, then in my opinion you should maybe not read any further... It really was a point in time and that those who appreciated it then, still cherish the moment.

[/quote]

Think there was an era where the Jaco style was very popular and not just with musicians. Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Colloseum II and even Greenslade all very jazz based music in my opinion. They produced a lot of very talented musicians over the years that went on to successful careers in other bands.
Personally i liked a lot of the material from that era at the time but find it a tad boring to listen to these days. I mainly listened to pick up tips and techniques used by the various bassists.

Think its an age thing. :)

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I quite liked the Sex Pistols to be honest. Clash were ok. Wouldn't have bought any of their music but enjoyed the occasional song when i heard it.

Did punk music not take over from rock music as the new cult craze back in 70's. Classic or Glam rock were very popular early 70's then Punk around 76 i think. :)

Boy bands or your typical pop crap was always there and still there to this day as manicured drivel written and produced by others and managed by likes of Stock Aitken & Waterman in earlier days to Simon Cowells of the music business. They take a mediocre and sometimes talentless act and change them to look and sound better for the media. In some cases if they have the image they will be managed by them. Who needs the talent :rolleyes: :lol: :P

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1506326782' post='3377821']
I quite liked the Sex Pistols to be honest. Clash were ok. Wouldn't have bought any of their music but enjoyed the occasional song when i heard it.

Did punk music not take over from rock music as the new cult craze back in 70's. Classic or Glam rock were very popular early 70's then Punk around 76 i think. :)

Boy bands or your typical pop crap was always there and still there to this day as manicured drivel written and produced by others and managed by likes of Stock Aitken & Waterman in earlier days to Simon Cowells of the music business. They take a mediocre and sometimes talentless act and change them to look and sound better for the media. In some cases if they have the image they will be managed by them. Who needs the talent :rolleyes: :lol: :P

Dave
[/quote]we do Pistols and Clash covers in our set, the Pistols stuff nearly always goes down best with the general public. The Clash songs that go well are London Calling and Should I stay, hardly punk and both used in adverts
Getting back to the OP, overrated by who, the public, personnel opinion or the Media? most of the answers on here seem to be personnel opinion

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1506331584' post='3377877']
Getting back to the OP, overrated by who, the public, personnel opinion or the Media? most of the answers on here seem to be personnel opinion
[/quote]

Agreed

. I would be really interested to know how 'The Clash' changed the World though.That has made me curious, even though I am old enough to remember their popular beat combo. :D

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1506331584' post='3377877']
we do Pistols and Clash covers in our set, the Pistols stuff nearly always goes down best with the general public. The Clash songs that go well are London Calling and Should I stay, hardly punk and both used in adverts
[/quote]

Wasn't meant as a criticism of The Clash in any way. I just remember them being classed as part of the Punk era in the media. Many fans were happy that they were classed as a punk band rather than a Rock band. Had they appeared a few years earlier or even later they may well have been classed more as a rock band.
As i said i enjoyed the singles whenever i heard them and would agree London Calling was a classic song worthy of many bands.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7