Why become a member? ×

Most overrated bands

spectoremg

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1505244112' post='3370513']
Pretty much every band I've felt strongly enough about to hate I've come around to liking, or at least apreciating, in the end.

On the other hand, indifference lasts for ever.
[/quote]

This may be the most profound thing I've ever read on here! My hat is off to you sir!

A

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1505395339' post='3371601']
If I could chose just an over rated album, then Paul Simon - Graceland . Pretentious rubbish
[/quote]

How very dare you! Incredible album That was grounbreaking on different levels. Superb musicianship and bass playing is out of this world.
Not sure what's not to like?

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1505589752' post='3373077']

Maybe you're being ironic, and maybe not... either way, Born in the USA was on the radio today, and it is a tedious 2-chord rant. Springsteen comes across as proselytising and didactic, but clearly didn't mind when middle America took his bile at face value, interpreted it as a nationalistic chest-bump, and lined his pockets. Plus his music is basically Meat Loaf without the humour or self awareness. All parping saxophones and heart-on-sleeve stuff from a guy pretending he works in a factory when he actually tours baseball stadiums.

Anyway, while I'm slaying sacred cows, Joy Division are okay but not brilliant. I'm enjoying Unknown Pleasures at the moment... but come on! People seem to think that music before and after Joy Division should be treated like two epochs. Plus girls seem to be wearing those Unknown Pleasures tops at the moment, so for an iconoclastic scorched-earth band they seem to have become the very thing they are meant to not be.

Ian Curtis was a morose individual. His lyrics as are morose and depressing and his delivery was morose and non-committal. A toneless and dead-eyed bellow. Peter Hook was a dreadful bassist. He still is. A lot of his pent up anger (which is now embarrassing because he's an old man) stems, I think, from just how unmusical he is. Deep down he knows he is a dreadful bassist, and he finds creative ways of channeling this anger into other things, even if it isn't much more than sh*t-talking about Bernard Sumner in every interview he can get. Beyond that droning two-string thing he came up with, he has pretty much no sense of dynamics, groove, rhythm. Bernard Sumner was barely better as a guitarist. Stephen Morris, however, was a brilliant drummer. A powerhouse and the metronome in the band, pinning up two sub-par musicians and a fairly crap singer. Joy Division benefited from having a weird, hollow, echoey and experimental mix.
[/quote]

I'd agree more eloquently but I'm too busy applauding

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1505635293' post='3373216']
Primus - sounds like total slop to me...
[/quote]
You and me both. I've tried so hard to like them, but no. Les is supposed to be a bass wizard but i just can't hear it. It all sounds so... amateur.

Whatever our individual and very subjective views are about all the band's mentioned in this thread, we're the ones doing all the talking about them - spending our time and/or our money listening to their music to decide whether or not we like what they do and whether they're overrated or underrated or not.

Meanwhile, the band's in question have absolutely no idea who we are, what our views are, whether we're good bass players/musicians or not, and what our opinions of them are. And they most likely never will.

Its pretty obvious who's in the better place, don't you think? 😉

[quote name='DJpullchord' timestamp='1505635854' post='3373219']

It's all subjective though innit.
[/quote]
It is.
Primus is the first band in this list I'd disagree with. For their unique sound and approach to making music they never really hit the charts big time or filled stadiums. How are they overrated?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1505638274' post='3373233']
Whatever our individual and very subjective views are about all the band's mentioned in this thread, we're the ones doing all the talking about them - spending our time and/or our money listening to their music to decide whether or not we like what they do and whether they're overrated or underrated or not.

Meanwhile, the band's in question have absolutely no idea who we are, what our views are, whether we're good bass players/musicians or not, and what our opinions of them are. And they most likely never will.

Its pretty obvious who's in the better place, don't you think?
[/quote]

Fair point Nik, and I guess the other thing you could add to that is that they're the ones out there making (or made) a successful living out of what they do (or did)...

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1505643685' post='3373277']
It is.
Primus is the first band in this list I'd disagree with. For their unique sound and approach to making music they never really hit the charts big time or filled stadiums. How are they overrated?
[/quote]

Just my 2p's worth - I've read a lot of people say how great they are but.... I just don't hear it. That being said, I didn't "get" The Beatles for years until I really listened to all their stuff from "Rubber Soul" onwards, and really appreciated how great (imo) they were.

Maybe Primus will have the same effect on me when I'm about 75 (if I live to be that age...)

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1505650751' post='3373328']
Fair point Nik, and I guess the other thing you could add to that is that they're the ones out there making (or made) a successful living out of what they do (or did)...
[/quote]

Very true!

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1505651167' post='3373333']
Just my 2p's worth - I've read a lot of people say how great they are but.... I just don't hear it. That being said, I didn't "get" The Beatles for years until I really listened to all their stuff from "Rubber Soul" onwards, and really appreciated how great (imo) they were.

Maybe Primus will have the same effect on me when I'm about 75 (if I live to be that age...)
[/quote]

Aren't Primus Les Claypool's band?

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1505543233' post='3372652']
When the topic is overrated bands the reason folks attend does matter.Very few of the audience paying big bucks will leave saying it was a poor gig.Nope it'll be " They were amazing," "so much energy" & "best show I've ever saw"[/quote]

Me and another veteran bass player went to see The Stones 2 years ago here in Milwaukee. They completely botched up the timing on the intro to Honky Tonk Women. Somehow Mick drove them out of it.

I asked my friend how many people noticed their mistake. He said, " me and you".

I'm thinking he was probably right.

Blue

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1505638274' post='3373233']

Its pretty obvious who's in the better place, don't you think?
[/quote]Right you lot, stop having opinions NOW!

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1505684718' post='3373597']

sometimes you want a proper bass tone and not something that sounds like popcorn being made in a massive metal drum.
[/quote]

Totally with you on Primus & this line cracked me up, spot on! XD

I love the Dan so totally disagree there, but that's ok. It's all subjective in the end eh.

[quote name='Spaced' timestamp='1505259743' post='3370631']
The Rolling Stones. They have enough good songs to fill a greatest hits cd but that's hardly enough to warrant the 'greatest rock band of all time' thing being thrown around.
[/quote]

The Stones being called "the worlds Greatest Rick n Roll band" was always a marketing thing. Its a title they gave themselves in the 60s and launched it with a big gig. I can't recall much of the line-up but The Who were the penultimate band.

The cameras were there and a film was being made of the whole gig. The film was proof do all to see that they were the greatest.

The Who went on and the crowd went wild. The ended with their defiant statement of smashing guitars and drums exploding. Smoke filled the air and many of the audience left.... and then The Rolling Stones came on. They gave a mediocre performance and the film has never seen the light of day...

Or so it says in the Keith Moon biography.
I'm sure someone here will have another version, and corrections, but this is how I recall the reading of it.

Sorry, back to "over rated bands"

[quote name='FDC484950' timestamp='1505714543' post='3373651']
I think the thread title is over-rated.
"Bands/singers you don't like" is more appropriate!
[/quote]
But there is a difference between unlinked and over rated, some of the bands I like I think are over rated, they are good but not as good as others that get less attention/ acclaim. Equally I appreciate why some bands I am not a fan of get the acclaim they do, for me Queen are a bit meh, but I fully appreciate why they are so popular, they just do it for me on the whole. Sometimes I think it's a matter of being the right band at the right time, sometimes it's a fashion thing, sometimes an anti fashion thing. Sometimes it's a complete mystery to me why they are popular.