Why become a member? ×

Most overrated bands

spectoremg

Think it's all about personal taste in music. Some bands mentioned in this thread are stadium filling bands playing for 40+ decades still going strong. Their audience consist of teens to OAP age.
My choice of an overrated band however is Oasis. Singer is Amy Winehouse.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1505452184' post='3371952']
Think it's all about personal taste in music. Some bands mentioned in this thread are stadium filling bands playing for [b]40+ decades[/b] still going strong. Their audience consist of teens to OAP age.
My choice of an overrated band however is Oasis. Singer is Amy Winehouse.
[/quote]

Seems like some of them have been around that long.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1505452184' post='3371952']
My choice of an overrated band however is Oasis.
[/quote]

Same here - I never got the thing with Oasis, so little talent. such a big audience.
I have a rule on not playing Oasis with my cover band. Every so often they feel the need to hack at that wall to see if I have changed my mind. I haven't.

Guns and Roses - I like Slash, -Good Guitarist -and Velvet Revolver, Snake Pit was ok as well but GNR just churned out a load of bland contrived songs and covers. There were far better bands in the day that were overlooked just because GNR were "cool" and seem to still be.

Oh and any band that features dragons*, simpering maidens or long meandering faffy songs. And flute solos. Or mention Osiris and the Serengeti, or making it to the shore and throwing away paddling implements for extended periods of time.

Edit - *Except Dio. I like Dio. I think Iron Maiden mentioned dragons a few times but I think they got away with it.

Edited by BobVbass

U2 without doubt

ever since their debut live EP with Party Girl

I still cannot believe they released that pathetic, mistake ridden "solo".

The most talentless drummer and bassist in a big name band ever probably.Oh and the guitarist is crap too of course. Apart from his rack of effects, he just plays one note and hands over to his rack lol

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1505475068' post='3372181']
I like a bit of flute or violin in a rock song, different kind of voice, can take the music in a different direction.
[/quote]

A flute will never be better than the bagpipe solo in Its a Long Way To The Top. IMHO of course.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1505475059' post='3372180']
U2 without doubt

ever since their debut live EP with Party Girl

I still cannot believe they released that pathetic, mistake ridden "solo".

The most talentless drummer and bassist in a big name band ever probably.Oh and the guitarist is crap too of course. Apart from his rack of effects, he just plays one note and hands over to his rack lol
[/quote]
Could not have said it better myself. When they first came on the scene, our rock gods on this side of the pond were 'Lizzy and Rory Gallagher. I had grown up on a staple diet of Zeppelin, Purple, etc.
Then U2 appeared on TV and I thought somebody was having a laugh.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1505249703' post='3370569']
I know that this isn't something you should admit on a bass guitar forum, but I have never enjoyed listening to Rush and I never will.

Terrific musicianship but I just can't stand the sound of Geddy's voice.
[/quote]
I have a similar opinion of most of Yes's recordings - there's little doubting the musical ability that's displayed but most of it, to me, is just over indulgent, meandering nonsense. And as for Jon Anderson's vocals ... not really my cup of tea I'm afraid. Sorry.

Depends how you define 'overrated' . On the one hand there are those bands that come in for near unanimous fawning from music critics - but which might not necessarily shift loads of units - and then there are those bands who sells gazillions even if not liked much my the music press. A few bands fall into both categories. Personally I fail to understand why both Radiohead and Arcade Fire are such critics darlings and also have fervent fans who won't hear a word said against them. Not sure Rush are overrated as they're generally ignored my the media and unknown by the general public. And is they're anyone other than American teenage boys in the 70s who doesnt realise KISS are utter shoite?

Edited by Barking Spiders

Not a great fan of Van Morrison even though his name (in some) guarantees hushed solemnity, as if in the presence of a deity. As a person he behaves like a complete arsehole if the stories are to be believed.

P.S. Mumford and Sons or whatever they're called.

Edited by Japhet

[quote name='Spaced' timestamp='1505259743' post='3370631']
The Rolling Stones. They have enough good songs to fill a greatest hits cd but that's hardly enough to warrant the 'greatest rock band of all time' thing being thrown around.
[/quote]

It's really hard to rate pioneers that are that good with 59 years of success.They helped develop what live rock & roll performance should be.Tbeir song writing is second to none.

How many 70 year olds can fill 40 thousand seats? The Stones & Paul McCartney.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1505493240' post='3372391']

How many 70 year olds can fill 40 thousand seats? The Stones & Paul McCartney.
Blue
[/quote] A large percentage of those 40K are there just so they can say they went. When folks visit the Louvre,plenty gush about the Mona Lisa. Great painting for a postage stamp. Therein lies the hype :)

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1505487621' post='3372334']
Not a great fan of Van Morrison even though his name (in some) guarantees hushed solemnity, as if in the presence of a deity. As a person he behaves like a complete arsehole if the stories are to be believed.

[/quote]

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1505487621' post='3372334']

[/quote]

Yip agree. Apart from Brown Eyed Girl.. which no critic or musicians would admit liking..😉.. what has Van ever done that's half decent ?
As for Mumford &Sons ..please God help me..everything about them makes me cringe.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1505494552' post='3372404']
A large percentage of those 40K are there just so they can say they went. When folks visit the Louvre,plenty gush about the Mona Lisa. Great painting for a postage stamp. Therein lies the hype :)
[/quote]

True, when I saw The Stones in 1972 it was my generation making a statement and they were socially relevant. When I saw them in 2016 most probably don't know Jack about The Stones. It was just the place to be.

However, they are still a part of a small elete segment of the "busines". In other words 40k is 40k. Many bands consider 200 a big crowd.I do.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1505494552' post='3372404']
A large percentage of those 40K are there just so they can say they went. [/quote]

Doesn't matter why they were there, the 40k were there and they paid dearly.

Nothing is cool anymore. I've been told,"No,"it's you that isn't cool anymore. Your generation had they're time.Your all old now, and it's long over due that you should just get out of the way."

It's not a bad point.

Blue

Edited by blue

As mentioned in many of the posts the media are to blame for over-inflating a bands success. In the sixties they had the Beatles; The Fab Four, Britain's very own, media friendly in all their incarnations from mop tops to drug taking and they had longevity. They've been hyping every band since those cheeky Liverpool lads broke up.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1505525174' post='3372627']
Doesn't matter why they were there, the 40k were there and they paid dearly.

Nothing is cool anymore. I've been told,"No,"it's you that isn't cool anymore. Your generation had they're time.Your all old now, and it's long over due that you should just get out of the way."

It's not a bad point.

Blue
[/quote]When the topic is overrated bands the reason folks attend does matter.Very few of the audience paying big bucks will leave saying it was a poor gig.Nope it'll be " They were amazing," "so much energy" & "best show I've ever saw"

Which leads to the question. If a bunch of near 70 year olds is the best band you've saw, what other bands have you seen ?

I don't mind the "You're old and past it" thing from young folks. It's true :)