Why become a member? ×

Most overrated bands

spectoremg

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1505302001' post='3370839']
Queen maybe? I'm sure someone will disagree though - that's what the internet is for :lol:
[/quote]

Early Queen stuff is fantastic, well certainly up to A Night at the Opera (and parts of A Day at The Races), but after that it's all a bit meh. That said, I'm loving that Queen Inc. are (finally) releasing so much of the older material - At The Beeb (1989 release), plus the recentish Rainbow '74/Hammersmith'75 shows and On Air.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1505294111' post='3370751']There are many bands I can't stand, but calling them over-rated doesn't explain anything. It's just a way of not thinking. [/quote][quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1505295568' post='3370766']Reading through the comments here, I'd concur with Timmo and PaulWarning... it really is a kind of IMHO type of thing and certainly one man's overrated is another man's underrated.
[/quote]

Yes, yes. But it's a forum. We like being arseholes, mob rule and chucking stones at people for no good reason. We also like ringing doorbells then running away, fiddling with ourselves in Matalan, and throwing Maccy D wrappers from moving cars.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1505301883' post='3370833']
Thanks for that. I didn't actually say I didn't like him, I guess I just don't understand.
I'll give you and example, and this is purely my take on it.
A concert with Roy Orbison, obviously about 20 years ago coz he's dead now.
Bruce is onstage with many other notable musicians, Elvis Costello being one that sticks in my mind.
You don't hear Bruce's voice, nor his guitar. Why was he there?
Another:
In his book, he claims that all his early gigging honed his playing and made him a really good guitarist, but Ive never heard him play a solo, he's always there with the Tele around his neck, but to me, seemingly silent.
And I stress, I'm not looking for an arguement, I'm looking for enlightenment.
I've got his early greatest hits compilation CD, and of course all the songs are so well worn that they offer little to me, should I be listening to something else? (meant sincerely!)
[/quote]

Think the concert you mention is probably Roy Orbison's 'A Black and White Night' . Bruce features quite a lot in it, notably on guitar (Ooby Dooby, Oh Pretty Woman etc) where he trades licks with the great James Burton, and also vocally ( Dream Baby, Uptown etc). Must admit a lot of it is quite err...'raw', but I like that - no autotune or fancy editing evident.

Regarding listening to slightly lesser known stuff, try Lucky Town or Human Touch (both 1992), Magic (2007) or for a complete
change of style the 2006 We shall Overcome - Seeger Sessions collection.

As you will have gathered, have been a fan since the mid 70's. Also around the same time I got into New Jersey band Southside Johnny
and the Asbury Jukes, who have long been linked with Bruce. Many of their albums contain great songs penned by him, and also some
feature Little Steven, Bruce's guitarist from The E Street Band. Went to see Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul recently in Manchester, absolutely stonking gig again featuring some songs co-written with Bruce.

Edited by casapete

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1505317982' post='3371010']
The levellers,wtf what load of sh*te they are or was , who cares
[/quote]quite like the Levellers myself, there's an awful lot of bands trying to sound like them if last weekends Whitwell Festival is anything to go by

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1505317982' post='3371010']
The levellers,wtf what load of sh*te they are or was , who cares
[/quote]
[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1505318588' post='3371018']
quite like the Levellers myself, there's an awful lot of bands trying to sound like them if last weekends Whitwell Festival is anything to go by
[/quote]

I'm with PW on this...at least they were vaguely original and pushed at the boundaries....

(...and were very well received at "Folk under the Oak" in Hatfield Park earlier this year)

BTW there's a town called "Whitwell" in Herts too...they don't have an annual music festival though.

Edited by TheGreek

Meatloaf, Meatloaf and Meatloaf. And Queen I suppose. My greatest fear is being trapped in a confined space with the nauseous songs, Bat Out of Hell and Bohemian Rhapsody being played over and over again.

Hang on a minute, that's just like being in most pubs all over the country at weekends! ��

PS. U2 as well. A bad enough pretentious band but when they and equally pretentious Green Day murdered The Skids song, The Saints Are Coming, they went onto my "Sh*t List"!

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1505318780' post='3371021']
I'm with PW on this...at least they were vaguely original and pushed at the boundaries....

(...and were very well received at "Folk under the Oak" in Hatfield Park earlier this year)

BTW there's a town called "Whitwell" in Herts too...they don't have an annual music festival though.
[/quote]this Whitwell is on the Notts/Derbys border with a Sheffield post code, has a music festival every year, not sure how they get away with it, the out door stage is in the middle of the village, having a Slade tribute blasting out Merry Christmas Everybody at 11.30pm on a September night must be really confusing for some

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1505294895' post='3370758']
Here's an interesting challenge - can anyone name a band that all of basschat will agree are NOT overrated?

S.P.
[/quote]

I'd suggest Tower of Power and also Snarky Puppy.

Even if ypu don't like the music, the level of musicianship is undeniable.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1505313301' post='3370958']
Think the concert you mention is probably Roy Orbison's 'A Black and White Night' . Bruce features quite a lot in it, notably on guitar (Ooby Dooby, Oh Pretty Woman etc) where he trades licks with the great James Burton, and also vocally ( Dream Baby, Uptown etc). Must admit a lot of it is quite err...'raw', but I like that - no autotune or fancy editing evident.
[/quote]

One of my favourite gigs ever. Bruce and T-Bone were great as I remember. It was E. Costello who let the side down in my opinion.