Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Kickass Bridge.

NancyJohnson

Some of you may know a few years back I landed a very old Aria Pro II Primary bass...it was in a very poorly state.

Over the years, I've done some patching up to bring it up to speed, but the bridge (a stock Fender bent tin unit with the knurled saddles) has been failing recently; the grub screws don't hold the saddle height and at a gig on Friday, one of them fell out. I ordered a Hipshot Kickass from BAss Direct yesterday and it arrived today and is fitted.

It's pretty much a BadAss II clone, kind of updated with the rough edges removed. Brass saddles. Took about 15 minutes to install, another 15 to intonate and set the action and we're in business. The E -string saddle wouldn't go back far enough, but you get shorter saddle screws in the kit. It's really very nice and feels a whole lot more sturdy for starters. I'm a fairly heavy player and it's nice that the saddles aren't prone to movement. Notes actually sound fuller, more solid.

Sound investment in my book.

I had one for a while, they're good bridges. Didn't like the brass inserts much but you can get steel alternatives. In theory you can adjust the string spacing with the inserts but I wasn't too convinced. Had it on my Road Worn P for a while, but in the end moved it on as I preferred the threaded-barrel BBOT fitted as stock. I've also been looking at this, though the spacing be fixed:

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_hi_mass_bridge_iv_brass.htm"]https://www.thomann....ge_iv_brass.htm[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1505211221' post='3370204']
Cool, been wondering about these myself since the BAII became impossible to get any more.

I like the idea of the Brass saddles, which, correct me if I'm wrong, also offer sideways movement so you can adjust the string spacing?
[/quote]

Each saddle has a groove that carries an insert that the string rides on. There is a few millimetres sideways movement; there's a little hex grub-screw at the front of the saddle that you slacken off, adjust the insert, then re-tighten. Mine were set centrally on delivery, didn't need any adjustment.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1505212965' post='3370229']
I had one for a while, they're good bridges. Didn't like the brass inserts much but you can get steel alternatives. In theory you can adjust the string spacing with the inserts but I wasn't too convinced. Had it on my Road Worn P for a while, but in the end moved it on as I preferred the threaded-barrel BBOT fitted as stock. I've also been looking at this, though the spacing be fixed:

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_hi_mass_bridge_iv_brass.htm"]https://www.thomann....ge_iv_brass.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Oooh I like that too. Good price as well!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1505222021' post='3370325']
Oooh I like that too. Good price as well!
[/quote]

Doesn't include shipping, unfortunately. OK if you're already buying other stuff from Thomann... which you probably aren't, given the exchange rate. :)

Edited by discreet

A bass I took in a trade had a Kickass fitted. Really good bit of kit that is beautifully engineered. I like to have things as close to standard as possible though aesthetically speaking so replaced it with the original bridge which is good (but not as good as the Kickass). I may keep it and stick it on a Jazz bass to mimic the Geddy look.

I've been considering one of these for my project Squier P bass. I love Hipshot products - quality, well engineered. Nice to see a Kickass on an actual bass - it does look quite 'big' on that Aria. Is the body smaller than a Fender?

Fender do their own branded version too; they're not so expensive either.

Edit: Oops - just saw discreet's link! The extra £10 shipping is a bit much, but I have seen one of the Fender ones in the UK, and it seemed to me to be really good value.

Edited by prowla

• 2 weeks later...

I took the plunge and put one on my Squier P bass. It has slightly improved sustain and the tone of the E string but the biggest improvement for me is that it is more comfortable for my picking hand when playing with a pick. Plus, I like that I can fine tune the string spacing. Definitely worth £60 on a budget bass in my book.