Why become a member? ×

Seeking advice on a potential buy

DannyBrerro

This has just popped up on Gumtree.. [url="https://www.gumtree.com/p/double-bass/double-bass-b-h-400-1-2-size/1265743450"]https://www.gumtree....size/1265743450[/url]

I've been looking to get started on the double bass for a while now, would this be any good for a beginner? I'm worried about the 1/2 size or would that not make much difference in the end?

Surely for £100 it's got to be worth a punt... surely?

Agree with Razze06 - if you learn on a shorter scale length you'd have to relearn all of your shifts if you later switched to a 3/4 size scale, bearing in mind that there is no definitive size for these, you can get larger half size basses and smaller 3/4 size basses.
Also, as a rule of thumb, the nut should be around eyebrow level when you're playing standing up.

I know a couple of good players who play 1/2 size. One for gigs convenience and the other who uses the shorter scale to play demon solos. But they both started on 3/4 and had plenty of experience with those. So I would certainly agree with the posts above that 3/4 is the size that a beginner should choose. You can always opt for 1/2 but not until you've found your 3/4 chops.

Main thing is ... it just won't sound very good.

You could adjust to the scale length so long as you don't get suckered into using four finger technique on a 1/2 size, then move to a 3/4 and find it's impossible and have to learn a whole new technique.

.. that said, I use four finger on electric (34" scale) and three finger on my 4/4 double bass (46" scale); but it feels like playing related but quite different instruments.

Thats because they are entirely different. Just happen to both have four strings and tuned the same. If you want a double bass to sound good, it needs a minimum string length and a certain minimum volume of air in the box. Get a 3/4 and enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1507219165' post='3384021']
Ah! Some guy (who isnt much of a player) plays a small novelty bass in a novelty band...evidently 2 centuries of pedagogy and received wisdom is suddenly undone...what were we thinking...
But seriously, WTAF is it with this "each-to-their-own-and-nobody-should-tell-anyone-anything's-wrong" BS ?!?
[/quote]

I'm almost afraid to tell you how I play:

- a right handed instrument left-handed, without restringing.
- use all 4 fingers of my right (fretting) hand in all positions
- pizz with my pinky and ring finger together, anchoring on the string below with my index and middle

My rockabilly/psychobilly band is getting a lot of fans and doing well on the local pub circuit. So who cares if I play a little unconventionally?

Edited by Hector

Well said jaywalker! I have to admit to being thoroughly tired of this "any way you want, it's all good" approach. If you want to be a double bass player, learn how to play a double bass. There is a right way, and in the long run it's the easiest way.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1507219165' post='3384021']...
But seriously, WTAF is it with this "each-to-their-own-and-nobody-should-tell-anyone-anything's-wrong" BS ?!?
[/quote]
Fair enough. Everything you say is wrong.