Why become a member? ×

Full band's equipment stolen - Bristol

foxyFuze

Saw this in my local rag. Savage. Don't know them but I really hope they get their stuff back. My bad if this has already been posted, I don't think it has.

[url="http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-rock-band-chiyoda-ku-449952"]http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-rock-band-chiyoda-ku-449952[/url]

[color=#141414]Full list is below, bass stuff at the top. Can't be many used Bugera heads floating around?[/color]
[size=4]
[size=4][b]- 1 all black Musicman Stingray bass, rosewood neck.
- 1 Bugera BVP500 Bass Head[/b]
[b]- 1 Ashdown ABM410 bass cab, with grill removed, the speakers are a kind of nappy blue.[/b][/size]
[size=4]- 1 Fender Twin Reverb silver face in flight case[/size]
[size=4]- 1 pedalboard containing: Line 6 DL4, TC Electronic Ditto, Proco Rat, TC electronic Poly Tune, Digitech Digital Delay, Mr Black Super Moon, TRex Fuel Tank Chameleon, MXR Carbon Copy[/size]
[size=4]-1 quite unique guitar i put together myself, it's got a rosewood Fender American Stratocaster neck, a fender select violin burst telecaster body and a white pick guard, i doubt there's many others like this.[/size]
[size=4]- Purple Yamaha Stage Custom Drumkit, Just Bass drum, snare and floor tom.[/size]
[size=4]-Paste 505 14 inch hi hats- the top one has a crack[/size]
[size=4]-Sabian Pro 18 inch crash[/size]
[size=4]-Paste power ride 20 inch[/size]
[size=4]- a few boxes of Chiyoda Ku Tshirts (unlikely we'll get that back, i know)[/size]
[size=4]- 1 long piece of driftwood with a piano wire attached to it, and a bow to go with it. (again unlikely it will be sold but it has some sentimental value)[/size]
[size=4]-1 Macbook Air[/size]
[size=4]-1 black Aria Strat shaped guitar with P90 pickups, "don't panic" written on headstock in marker.[/size]
[size=4]-3 suitcases full of our clothes and belongings[/size][/size]

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1505211280' post='3370206']
The last band van I had, we put vinyls on the side saying "Security - Dog Section" down the side. :lol:

It never got nicked... not sure if that proves anything!
[/quote]

I guess nobody wanted a dog......

What else can a touring band do, sleeping with the kit in the van must be safer than leaving it parked outside the digs like most small touring bands must do?

I've seen some great bands in my local theatre that must carry all their kit with them sometimes sleeping in the promoters house between gigs, some bands have come from over seas.

I'd like to see some big music shops donate some kit just to get them gigging asap. I'd even chip a few quid in myself if a page was setup.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1505213618' post='3370237']
Wow, living in a touring van with your gear is a pretty hard-core commitment. I wouldn't have done that even as a kid!
[/quote]

We did it. We had a lump of foam, about single bed size, that laid across the PA cabs behind the seats, and took turns sleeping on it. The other three got the B&B for the night, but there was always one in the van, with a couple of broken mic stands within easy reach. ;) A bit of old backdrop hung from the roof for privacy (and draught exclusion) and Robert was indeed your Auntie's Husband. B)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1505214092' post='3370240']
Still don't get how it was stolen if they live in it. Where were the band when it was stolen ?
[/quote]
From the article:
"...on Thursday night while it was parked in Horfield and they were at a friend’s, it was stolen..."

Guys,, if you have to leave gear in a van, you can do this.
if a diesel, you can do a few things,
1 find the fuse box, and take the glowplug relay out
tho some still start if still warm.
if a petrol and diesel best bet is take out the fuel pump fuse as well
van might start but will only get 10 yards if at all.
best bet is do it and try and drive it your self ( on an empty road)

you could if wanted replace with a blown fuse in case they check, at least it will look like one is in.

on alot of diesel vans like the vw there is a 12v fuel cut off soliniod usualy on the pump, that will be a single wire going to it with a spade end.
it takes 10 mins to put inline and hide a cut switch. engine will not start at all, it will just keep turning over till the battery is dead, like no fuel in the van.

Tracking now is so cheap,15 quid delivered is not alot, check them out on ebay.
you can even use a dog coller tracker left in the van, and with an app on your phone see exactly where your van is all the time.
the blue tooth ones are only very limited coverage tho, check,

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1505517559' post='3372607']
Any car/van made for the UK market since 94 must have a immobiliser , Customs will make a import have one fitted , so someone got hold of a key .
[/quote]
Unfortunately immobilisers are only a deterrent. Merc Sprinters are one of, if not the most stolen van in the U.K. Having said that, it was an old one - the gangs tend to target newer stuff.

Hopefully their kit will be returned and not just dumped down an embankment or something.

Whilst it's unfortunate and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it really does frustrate me that bands relying on this for their living aren't insured. I'm on the road at the moment and will be for quite a while, and ALL of my gear is insured for worldwide, unattended vehicle. I pay £30 a month for £8000 worth of equipment, I'm sorry but it hardly breaks the bank!