Why become a member? ×

Bass Lessons available on Gertrude Road, Norwich, Norfolk. Also available in Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth.

Lessons take place from a fully equipped studio with multiple basses.

Bass lessons can be booked from 10am – 5pm on weekdays and Saturdays. Spaces are limited and some days may be unavailable.

Prices: £15 – 30 minutes, £30 – 60 minutes

What we will cover?

I will teach you how to improvise and create your own rhythmic parts. You will be able to accompany to your favorite songs and begin your musical journey – starting with pop, rock, through more complicated funk, soul, Latin music and ending up with creating complex jazz compositions.

You will establish the technical abilities and vocabulary used by professional bassists in the music industry.

We can also learn about any specific songs, or genres you may be interested in.

You will develop the skills you have already acquired (intermediate and advanced level), as well as you can learn to play the guitar from scratch (basic level).

Why you should choose me?

My name is Lukasz Chyla and I am a bass guitar enthusiast.

My family is very musical, my grandfather and father played various instruments, hence from my early childhood I had contact with music. My attention was immediately drawn by bass guitar – the favourite instrument of my father. He gave me first lessons in playing the instrument and I took first steps under his guidance.

When I was 14 I decided to enrol at a music school to learn how to play bass guitar. Unfortunately, it was impossible in Poland as no school offered such a field. Having no other choice, I took up studies concerning double bass – the instrument which was the most similar to bass guitar. Only in the course of education I realised how different these instruments were. After playing double bass for three years, having been aware that I was not doing what really interested me, I started looking for relevant schools outside the borders of Poland. The rich history and enormous opportunities in the music market in the United Kingdom persuaded me to choose England.

I came to the United Kingdom in 2006. I wanted to become familiarised with the education system in England and see whether it differed greatly from the Polish system, thus, I decided to start from scratch. I enrolled at the Stratford Music Centre where after three months I passed the Rockschool Electric Bass Guitar Grade 8 examination with honours. Next, I took up study at the Leeds College of Music in the Field of Bass Guitar and after 2 years I was awarded the BTEC National Diploma (Jazz) with honours as well. In 2011 I began the Bmus Jazz studies in bass guitar at the Birmingham Conservatoire, Faculty of Arts, Design and Media. During the studies I had an opportunity to cooperate with many exquisite musicians from all of the world. I was nominated to represent the Conservatoire at classes and concerts with musicians such as Dave Holland, Jeff Ballad, Mark Turner and others. In the result, I gained considerable experience and could benefit from invaluable advice and tips of legendary jazzmen, musicians who in the last 40 years shaped new trends and directions in pop and jazz music. In 2015 I was the first, and the only person to date, to graduate from the Conservatoire in the Field of Bass Guitar. All previous graduates played only double bass. Consequently, I gained not only broad general knowledge of music, but also the ability to play my favourite instrument on the highest level. I play all types of bass guitars (4-, 5-, 6-string and fretless bass guitars and double bass). Furthermore, I am an expert in the field of bass equipment, i.e. instruments, amps, effects, etc.

When I completed my education I decided to use my skills in the music industry and I must admit with satisfaction that I was well-prepared to this work. In comparison with other musicians I did exceptionally well and I instantly was engaged by many bands and in music projects. Contacts with the environment of young, often novice, enthusiasts of playing bass allowed me to learn their problems. When these young, highly enthusiastic, novice bass players try to improve their skills, they frequently find incompetent teachers (guitar players, pianists) who are unable to meet the requirements set by bass guitar which importance is growing. This instrument is commonly underestimated and must be treated seriously because young people (more and more often girls) might become discouraged from playing it despite their high interest.

Every musician needs a good teacher who would prevent him or her from committing many mistakes which make it impossible to progress and lead to discouragement and losing interest in learning. A young musician who was lucky enough to meet an experienced teacher does not lose enthusiasm, quickly achieves progress which gives him satisfaction and motivation to further work. In the consequence, in the immediate future we could have an army of good, educated musicians who would quickly feed into the music market and improve the declining level of local and national bands. I believe that with my education, experience gained in the music market of Great Britain and knowledge of problems encountered by both young and matured bass players I could lead them through the complexities of the bass world and prepare them to mature and full participation in creation of the musical reality of Norfolk, and in fulfilment of personal ambitions and dreams.

“I have been a student of Lukasz’ for around 11 months. I have been playing bass for about 20 years prior to my first lesson with him. My playing has transformed, not just my technique but also my sound. Lukasz’ attention to every detail, from the shape of hands, to the sound of my pickups has made me rethink my approach to playing. He adapt’s his lesson plans to my way of learning, making each lesson different and easy. I would highly recommend Lukasz to anyone who wants to become a great bass player.”

– Richard Bell

”I have studied Bass with Lukasz for 2 years and leaving aside the fact that he is an amazingly talented musician, all I can say is that he is a fantastic teacher! Lukasz will really teach you how to be a bass player and a musician. Don’t expect him to always tell you: “well done” because he is very rigorous. He will challenge you, at times, you will think: “I can’t do this”. But trust me, he knows better and will never give you challenges that with practice and dedication cannot be overcome. So, whatever your level, rest assured that under his guidance you will progress so much that he will say: “that was really good”! Oh, I forgot to say, I’m still studying with Lukasz and will continue doing so because it’s also so much fun!”

– Marco Barassi

“Lukasz is an inspiring, experienced, knowledgeable, patient and compassionate teacher. My weekly bass class with him is a highlight of my week and it makes me want to practice playing bass all the time. Classes are fun, interesting, inspiring and I feel that my progress is very fast under an expert guidance from a very knowledgeable and experienced teacher.”

– Agata Makiela

lukaszchylabass.com

youtube.com/c/LukaszChyla

[email protected]

41933160_1696903917087614_6448314192834330624_n.jpg

41965128_1696903847087621_2163003336230436864_n.jpg

10547487_764987153542481_5263005542612990731_n.jpg

Edited by Lukasz Chyla

• 3 months later...
  • Lukasz Chyla changed the title to Norwich Bass Lessons