Why become a member? ×

What do you do if you get overpaid at a gig ?

Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1505032172' post='3368897']

We operate an "honesty is the best policy" policy and hand it back.

[/quote]

That's the right thing to do. Karma will catch up with you otherwise.

It's never happened to us, although we did get paid for a charity gig recently which we weren't expecting. We just handed it back to the charity.

One venue we play at, the new manager asked every band at the end of the evening "...and how much was it you get?" - he knew full well. One band tried to make out it was more than he had in his little black book. It didn't end well for them. We operate on an "honesty is the best policy". We were recently given an extra £50 at one venue, and the girly smiled sweetly and said "I'v been told to give you extra because you're one of the best bands we have and we really enjoy it". Not bad for a blues band in a rowdy Saturday night 20 something party pub, and it does make you feel good. We're back there in the middle of December - should be a monster!

Edited by phil.c60

Honesty is definitely the best policy, especially if you want to be rebooked. And even if you don't care about the venue, in most cases your reputation will precede you. Many landlords move around pubs in the area, especially if the pubs are part of the same chain, and they will remember the band, for good or for bad. :)

We play at a venue where we get money knocked off to pay the sound engineer and the person, on the door, taking the money. The owner of the bar was on his hols and the responsibility, for paying us at the end of the night, was given to a barman.

He was unaware of the arrangement we had with the owner and just gave me all the ticket money, which included the money for the ticket person and the sound engineer.

I don't usually collect the money, it's the guitarist who does it, and was unaware of the agreed payment arrangements. So I was firstly astounded at how much the barman gave me and secondly, immediately came to the conclusion, that the guitarist had, previously, been pocketing the difference,between what he gave us at the end of the night, and what the bar owner was actually paying us.

When the guitarist explained the situation, we had to own up, and give a 3rd of the money back.

Does any other band on Basschat have this weird arrangement, where they have to pay the venue's sound engineer and ticket person out of their cut of the ticket money?

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1505038340' post='3368981']
Does any other band on Basschat have this weird arrangement, where they have to pay the venue's sound engineer and ticket person out of their cut of the ticket money?
[/quote]

Years ago I played at a place where you had to pay to hire the house pa which I thought wasnt right but if you have to set it all up, get levels right for different bands on a weekly basis you'd want paying for it.

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1505040405' post='3369015']
hand it back.you never know if its a test of honesty.
[/quote]

Why the need to test the honesty of a bunch of musicians? The guv' is paying them, they are not helping themselves to the wages from the till.
They are paid to provide music/entertainment , not look after the customers of 'Hatton Garden Safe Deposit Ltd'. :D

(grin) I joined a band at the same time as the drummer retired. He had been responsible for doing most of the booking.

Turned out he had been pocketing " a commission" from any cash gigs - usually an extra £50 in his pocket that we didn't know about.

....and then the cheeky bugger asked if he could rejoin the band about 6 months later!