Why become a member? ×

Orange Crush v Ashdown.

Duststorm

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered previously however I am looking for some guidance on a new amp.
Currently trying to decide between an Orange Crush 100 & an Ashdown AAA - 120 - EVO - 15T.

I love the tone from the Orange however I feel for 100 Watts, £370 is an awful amount of money and I feel also may not be loud enough, also it appears very heavy (although not so muh of an issue). The Ashdown again sounds nice however has now been discontinued so £70 cheaper, and is 120 watts and is also significantly lighter.
I like that you can also do effects loops on both.
I am leaning towards the Ashdown at the moment as it is cheaper, lighter and slightly more power.

What would you guys go for?

Hey there, welcome to the forum.

You'll find a whole bunch of people will be more than willing to share their views with you, but we probably need to know a little more about you, and how you'll be using your amp to make our suggestions useful!

I'll get you started. What kind of music are you going to be playing? Are you gigging, or just jamming at home/with friends?

I very much doubt I will be gigging, I imagine I would be playing quite a varied range however mainly rock etc and using some effects however mainly Chorus. I was considering a Peavey 115 however I decided against it as you could not make an effects loop. The Orange amp sounds nice to my ears however it is very large and seems very expensive for only 100 watts. I think I would probably be more suited to the Ashdown. But I know that sound is all down to the way you play, quality of the leads etc.....

[quote name='Duststorm' timestamp='1505074196' post='3369339']
I very much doubt I will be gigging, I imagine I would be playing quite a varied range however mainly rock etc and using some effects however mainly Chorus. I was considering a Peavey 115 however I decided against it as you could not make an effects loop. The Orange amp sounds nice to my ears however it is very large and seems very expensive for only 100 watts. I think I would probably be more suited to the Ashdown. But I know that sound is all down to the way you play, quality of the leads etc.....
[/quote]

To be fair, if you don't plan on gigging any time soon then a practice amp around 20-40 watts will do the trick. I use a Fender Rumble 40 which is great, lightweight but loud enough for bedroom practice and playing with quieter drummers.

Peavey gear is rock solid and will last for years. If you can deal with the weight, then it's a worthwhile investment.

I've used Ashdown gear before and it was perfectly fine, and I don't have any personal experience with Orange bass gear.