Why become a member? ×

Ex-Barefaced users?

JapanAxe

Had a Retro Two10 and felt it was too deep and lacking definition. Got a BB2 and found it was too deep and lacked the sort of mid range i wanted. Both sold and i moved on to a Vanderkley 1x15.

Nice cabs, both very light and good looking (the BB2 especialy) but just not my cup of tea. Even though the website made it seem like the BB2 was the best choice for me, it turned out it wasnt, by a long shot.

I’d happily use a BB2 again if i had to though, i do miss the size and weight, but I’m much more comfortable with what i have now.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1505061425' post='3369232']
Had a Retro Two10 and felt it was too deep and lacking definition. Got a BB2 and found it was too deep and lacked the sort of mid range i wanted. Both sold and i moved on to a Vanderkley 1x15.

Nice cabs, both very light and good looking (the BB2 especialy) but just not my cup of tea. Even though the website made it seem like the BB2 was the best choice for me, it turned out it wasnt, by a long shot.

I'd happily use a BB2 again if i had to though, i do miss the size and weight, but I'm much more comfortable with what i have now.
[/quote]

It's fair to say they don't all sound the same. I tried a BF 2x12 (can't remember which) belonging to another BC-er, with my Demeter head, and it seemed remarkably un-punchy to me!

Not an ex-user but I did swap from Super compacts to the retro two10.

I guess over the years I've got used to 'coloured' sounding cabs and the SC's were too transparent for me really.

If needs be I can plug straight into my TC BH250 thru the two10 and to my ears, it sounds bloody marvellous.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1505315777' post='3370989']
If needs be I can plug straight into my TC BH250 thru the two10 and to my ears, it sounds bloody marvellous.
[/quote]

Looking back, there have been many occasions on which my BF cabs, alone or together, have sounded 'bloody marvellous' as you put it. I'm keeping them for now!

I've had a gen 2 compact for around a year and half. Best cab i've ever had, by some distance. I found that in the year and a half I had, I gigged with it only once. All other time I used by PJB briefcase alone (on double bass), or through a PA. Then some time ago a bigger PJB rig came along, and I loved to hear how it would sound. I sold both the compact and the aguilar TH350 to fund that purchase. I double in DB and electric bass these days, and that's a better solution or me, both in terms of tone and functionality (two separate channels with independent everything). The compact was far lighter than the PJB stuff though :)

I had 2 Gen 2 Compacts and decided I wanted a single 4 ohm cab. Just fancied a change so I went for the TKS S212 which is very nice. However I am finding it a but heavy (it isn't really, but I'm getting old) so am considering a move back to Barefaced. Quite tempted with the FR800 as my amp is heavy too.

I had a Big Twin II. It was huge sounding. It was a little too open sounding for my taste too. I am well aware that's a crappy description, but i really struggle to explain in words what it is i wasn't keen on. I also didn't need that much power. It was LOUD.
So i moved that on and bought 2 TKS S112s. They are fantastic. I love the "natural" sound from these. They are quite "mid forward", but i guess that's just what i like. I've had them for years now.
I also have had a Retro 210 in that time that i was fortunate enough to win in a raffle. Much more to my taste. I really, really liked that cab. Just not more than i liked my TKS. And my TKS offered better portability options.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1505390625' post='3371542']I had a Big Twin II. It was huge sounding. It was a little too open sounding for my taste too. [/quote]

I sold my BB2 for the same reason. I replaced it with 2 SC's.

That's the benefit of multiple product lines. If one doesn't fit the others may do.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1505390035' post='3371529']
I had 2 Gen 2 Compacts and decided I wanted a single 4 ohm cab. Just fancied a change so I went for the TKS S212 which is very nice. However I am finding it a but heavy (it isn't really, but I'm getting old) so am considering a move back to Barefaced. Quite tempted with the FR800 as my amp is heavy too.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1505390810' post='3371551']
I'm sure the FR800 is a stellar cab but there are many fantastic light weight amps around theses days.
[/quote]

They're not the lightest things in the world (though still bloody light) at 15kg but they are quite deep front to back which makes them harder to carry than you'd expect.

This could be a long story... :blush:

I started with a G2 Compact, then sold it and bought a Vintage, just because it was big and available! That was an awesome cab, but the rehearsal space my (then) band were using had some awful, twisty, narrow stairs and I just couldn't be arsed humping the cab in and out of that room. Also, we weren't gigging all that often. I traded the Vintage for another G2 Compact.

A few months later, an original Big One became available. I'd always wanted to try one of those (partly so that I could tell people that I had a Big One... :rolleyes: ) and wasn't disappointed. HUGE sounding, yet still a fairly small box and light as a feather. Worked great with my Hartke LH500, but then I started to use J basses most of the time and I felt I needed an amp with more control over the mids... then followed a period of about six months when I tried lots of different amps (story [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255371-new-amp-dilemma/"]here[/url]) but found all of them wanting in some way. Several (especially the Aguilar TH500 - story [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/257641-aguilar-th500-distortion-issues/page__hl__th500%20distortion"]here[/url]) were incompatible with the Big One - so one (or both) had to go! Initially it was the Aggie that departed, to be traded for a GK MB800, but the stupid controls were just too close together! That was sold and I bought my current amp, which is a Mark Bass LM2. I'm dead happy with that!

I sold the Big One, and purchased a pair of Bergantino HS210s - mainly because I had listened to all the BF haters who claimed that Bergs were "the best". Well, they weren't for me. They sounded OK, to be fair, but after years of BF usage, their relative heaviness was just not necessary - so off they went.

Next up was my (current) G2 Compact - the third such cab I have owned! It is just brilliant, and does everything I want it to do. From time to time, I still get bursts of GAS* but once I heard another BC member (wateroftyne) playing through my rig, I understood how great it sounded when used by a real bass player! B) So whenever I don't feel quite happy about my own sound, I just recall how it will sound to an audience.

* The last cab I bought was a TKS H115. I still have it. It is great. Just as good as the Compact for me. I rarely need both cabs, but it is wonderful having them just in case! They sound kind of similar, but the TKS is slightly "cleaner" and has the dubious benefit of a tweeter. It is slightly larger and heavier, but still an easy lift. It also looks the business :P

If I was really strapped for cash, one of them would have to go - but that would be a [b][i]very[/i][/b] tough choice... :(

So, I have tried a lot of stuff over the last four years or so (some not mentioned here!) but I am happy to still be a Barefaced user! :gas:

Edited by Conan

I had the super 12 & then 2 x super compacts , I found them very HiFi , (that they are supposed to be ) I was going to go for the 10" cabs but was put off by poor quality of the covering coming unattached , handles drove me nuts & they looked DIY made , not that's a bad thing just not for me . I found the Ashdown cabs suite me best .

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1504956457' post='3368541']
Somewhat paraphrased conversation:

Me: [i]Seen an SVT 2 Pro for sale on BC, what's your experience of these?[/i]

Him: [i]Great but stupidly heavy[/i]

Me: [i]Wasn't entirely happy my rig was cutting it last Saturday, maybe need louder[/i]

Him: [i]Maybe get some decent cabs, don't like BF build or sound[/i]

I then start surfing t'Interweb and find TKS 2126, instant GAS ensues, followed by realisation of how difficult it would be to try out one...
[/quote]

Those TKS aren't bad at all! I had a pair of 1126... very nice they were.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1505390625' post='3371542']
I had a Big Twin II. It was huge sounding. It was a little too open sounding for my taste too. I am well aware that's a crappy description, but i really struggle to explain in words what it is i wasn't keen on. I also didn't need that much power. It was LOUD.
So i moved that on and bought 2 TKS S112s. They are fantastic. I love the "natural" sound from these. They are quite "mid forward", but i guess that's just what i like. I've had them for years now.
I also have had a Retro 210 in that time that i was fortunate enough to win in a raffle. Much more to my taste. I really, really liked that cab. Just not more than i liked my TKS. And my TKS offered better portability options.
[/quote]

After a number of other cabs by other makers I gave Barefaced a go, attracted by the low weight/size as transport was a factor.

First a Compact (2nd Gen). Nice, but I was never in love with it.

Then I had a BB2 and then two of them. Very loud, very light, but I never got along completely. The bottom end was immense and I didn't know how to control it like I do now.

So I moved to TKS... first a pair of 1126. I liked them A LOT. But still not quite right. Then I tried the TKS S112 and fell in love. I got two, and then another two. They don't have huge lows, and power handling is low... but sound great and they just work for what I want. And they are very light and very small. I sold one pair and kept just two of them. I thought that was it. Sometimes I do need something that sounds bigger... but I love them too much to move them along. Such a great sounding and portable setup.

THEN... Barefaced Two10 appeared and I'm back with Barefaced.
And THAT was it. Very tight low end, nice mids, more than enough top end despite the "Retro" label making me thing they'd be too dark. I now have a pair of Two10 cabs, and I feel no urge to change anything. They're easy to carry, they are still pretty compact (two of them fit in the boot of my hatchback), they get very loud if needed, and above all, they sound just right. The BB2 were too big and open for me. These give me a good sound without even trying. They never get too brittle, they never get too boomy, beautiful low mids punch... And they also look pretty good.
I wish they had recessed handles, but I don't want to go there... ;)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1505512393' post='3372579']
Did you get the 12 ohm or 4 ohm cabs?
[/quote]

4 ohm.

I got one at first to try, thinking it might be a nicer one-cab solution than a single TKS S112 (mostly for monitoring onstage), which it was, and I felt having the 4 ohm version might give me a bit more volume and even work ok in smaller not very noisy gigs... which it did.

Then I liked it so much that I thought "give me a pair of these then" and I haven't looked back. They're bigger and heavier than the very diminutive and light S112... but there's just no compromise in bottom end or volume, and they sound great.

The pair of TKS S112 is my "practice rig". I do not really need them these days, but they sound great and are lovely so I think I'll keep them.

• Like 1

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a Two10, I just can't decide on impedance.

4 ohms gives me a 3x10 rig at 2.66 ohms - which my ABM is capable of even if it doesn't say so - and this would be a perfect split of power across the 2:1 speaker ratio.

12 ohms gives an impedance mismatch with the One10 getting more power than the Two10, but it keeps above the recommended min 4 ohms of the ABM and also offers the change to get another one (or two!) Two10 cab in the future, should the need arise.

It's unlikely to arise but you ever know...

Hmm.

Edited by Merton

Soooo, here's my BF story! Bought Kev's Midget T and SC Gen 3, preferred the SC G3 and so moved the Midget T on. Decided to get a new One10 to use with my Eden WTX-264 for home/practice/small venue/back-line - so impressed with the One10 that I've just got another! Lots of options now: Eden + 1 x 10 or 2 x 10s; RM EVO 500 + 2 x 10s or 1 x 12; all 3 cabs + Magellan 800 switched down to 2.67ohms. Now a REALLY happy bass-bunny and don't expect to change a thing in the foreseeable future (famous last words :rolleyes: ).

I used to have a "whatever the 15" cab is called" when they were pretty new. Structurally it was well made but cosmetically it seemed to fall apart a bit and that f*****g handle was horrible.

It sounded massive and was super easy to move around but I ended up going over to some boogie gear which had more character, been happy ever since.

Had a Big Twin T. It was very light and much louder than you'd expect, just like they said it would be, but the sound had a big hole in the midrange that I couldn't seem to EQ back in, and then the horn blew on the second gig. Returned it and got a refund.

Edited by lowregisterhead