Why become a member? ×

Lined Fretless (Question)

Mark_ii

I've read that when playing a lined fretless that you should play on the fret lines as opposed to between them like on a regular fretted bass. If you play a lined fretless between frets then you're likely to be half of a semitone flat. This I can understand as we should always be considering the length of the vibrating string. Playing behind the fret line will flatten the pitch.

However .... if I take a lined fretless and play an A on the 5th fret of the bottom E string (right between frets like on a fretted bass), then I tune the bass up a fraction watching my tuner as I do so, I should be able to get an in tune A whilst playing between the frets. I've just tensioned the string to compensate for the flatness.

Now lets do this for the other 3 strings too, now my lined fretless should play like a regular fretted bass, i.e I don't have to worry about developing the discipline to play on the actual lines, I can play away between frets as normal.

The only thing I need to watch for is the open string positions, they'll be sharp by half a semitone obviously. No great worries, I try to stay away from using open strings anyway.

Am I thinking about this correctly or is there a flaw in my theory :) I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a lined fretless.

All comments welcome. Thanks guys.

/M

If only it were this easy....

With a fretless, rather than play to the lines you need to play with your ears - you need to listen a lot more than you would a fretted bass which is going to be in tune as long as you tuned it right to start with. A fretless is likely to be minutely "out" if your fingers are misplaced.

Practice and listening are what are required.

Edited by TheGreek

The problem is that in the gap between the lines lie many micro tones that just don't sound right, which is why the line is a useful guide as to where the required tone will be. As has been said, on fretless your ears are very important as the thickness of one's fingers can alter the pitch considerably, especially up at the dusty end. I like fret lines as a guide (although the aesthetics of unlined is undeniable) especially when jumping to the higher register from lower notes. I have no issues changing from fretted to fretless as I tend to play fretted right behind the fret.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1504881944' post='3368038']
Even on a fretted bass you should be placing your fingers just behind the fret, not in-between, to eliminate any potential buzz. It's the same on a fretless, play on the line and it's slightly sharp.
[/quote]

That. And I'd doubt the accuracy all the way up the neck if you're not tuning to the lines, it'd be hard to get the intonation right on the higher frets. Also if you don't use open strings on a fretless you're missing out on a lot of open string droning fun.

The Greek is right, play with your ears not your eyes. If you do miss "fret" a little slide into pitch. But listen to double bass players particularly Jazz bassists, you will hear that even great players aren't precisely on note all the time . It's part of the charm and the sound of fretless playing and double basses.

I have an unlined fretless so rely on the side dots (there's an extra dot at the first 'fret position'). I tune the instrument to be exactly in tune at the dotted position and I've found that I like to play open strings quite a bit (a good way to ensure that note is bang on maybe?) - I've ended up developing a bit of a technique where I'll sometimes do a quick hammer on after playing the open string to create ghost notes as a rhythmic device to the extent that It's become a part of my playing style.

[quote name='Mark_ii' timestamp='1504878069' post='3367991']
I've read that when playing a lined fretless that you should play on the fret lines as opposed to between them like on a regular fretted bass. If you play a lined fretless between frets then you're likely to be half of a semitone flat. This I can understand as we should always be considering the length of the vibrating string. Playing behind the fret line will flatten the pitch.

However .... if I take a lined fretless and play an A on the 5th fret of the bottom E string (right between frets like on a fretted bass), then I tune the bass up a fraction watching my tuner as I do so, I should be able to get an in tune A whilst playing between the frets. I've just tensioned the string to compensate for the flatness.

Now lets do this for the other 3 strings too, now my lined fretless should play like a regular fretted bass, i.e I don't have to worry about developing the discipline to play on the actual lines, I can play away between frets as normal.

The only thing I need to watch for is the open string positions, they'll be sharp by half a semitone obviously. No great worries, I try to stay away from using open strings anyway.

Am I thinking about this correctly or is there a flaw in my theory :) I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a lined fretless.

All comments welcome. Thanks guys.

/M
[/quote]

You'll still be moving the spot where the note is in tune to an arbitrary position between the frets, it isn't going to be any easier than using lines. The position where you need to get your finger to be properly in tune on the note is just as small as it is when it's sitting on the fretboard line. All you're doing is making it even harder to play in tune because you're taking your visual reference away and your open notes will be out of tune too.

[quote name='Mark_ii' timestamp='1504878069' post='3367991']
I've read that when playing a lined fretless that you should play on the fret lines as opposed to between them like on a regular fretted bass..

[/quote]

Don't re-tune your bass and avoid all open strings, just position your bass 1cm to the left.

Definitely take the plunge and buy it, you might find it easier than you think, but you won't know until you try.