Why become a member? ×

Jazz / Precision Neck Swap

ingmar808

I recently stuck the super-slim Jazz neck from my Fender Modern Player onto a Squier Precision. Total success. Dead easy job, straight swap – it's now my no1 bass.

So I'm left with a Modern Player Jazz body, and a Squier Precision neck... I may as well put them together, and have a usable second instrument.

Do they fit? Do they f**k!

The neck slots in OK, but the fingerboard is way too high, with the strings pressed against it – and raising the bridge saddles won't be enough to compensate.

How can this be? How can it work one way and not the other?

Head wrecked.

I'm amazed at how such things vary. But Fender necks will vary in different eras, and certainly from factory to factory...
Was the Squier a China made one? And from which factory? The Matt Freeman sig P, the Classic vibe range were all made in the same factory, which was a different one to the China made Affinity series
(and that range changed factories too!) Of course, the super slim Jazz neck may well have a chunkier heel than the standard Jazz neck too....

As Lozz suggests, you could get a luthier to trim the heel of the neck a little. But bear in mind that you may not want to keep either bass for ever - so you may end up wanting to swap back?
Of course, a shim in the neck pocket would then remedy that.... and you may need that to make your P neck fit your Jazz body properly...
How well did that fit? Was it solve-able by adjusting the bridge saddles alone?

Another solution might be for you to think about a more solid, chunky bridge than the standard Squier / Fender BBOT....
A chunkier bridge, on a thicker plate, with sufficient height adjustment may do the job? Has anyone else found a suitable bridge?

I put a replacement neck on an old 70's / 80's Matsumoko bass some time back. The replacement neck was a chunky P neck - but the heel wasn't deep enough
So I had the reverse problem to yours - I had to put a shim into the neck pocket. It was simple enough, and worked a treat! Lovely bass too, with great sound
Wish I'd kept that one :)

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1504875915' post='3367965']
Another solution might be for you to think about a more solid, chunky bridge than the standard Squier / Fender BBOT....
A chunkier bridge, on a thicker plate, with sufficient height adjustment may do the job? Has anyone else found a suitable bridge?
[/quote]

Job done :)