Why become a member? ×

Beginner strings and set-up?

kristo

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1505133684' post='3369671']

Well then tell Pete Turland!
As I had already mentioned - he was suggesting it as a simple, inexpensive method for swapping between string types and gauges....
He states that he knows several famous players who employ this practice, and I'm sure such an experienced professional DB player wouldn't recommend it if he didn't think it was acceptable
he was after all voted as being among the top 10 rockabilly DB players of all time.....
[/quote]
I'm not dissing the guy, because he's a great rockabilly bassist. No doubt about that. That vid you posted was great.
However, being in the top 10 of some readers' poll means precisely jack for this discussion. As does "some famous guys do it". Famous = correct/knowledgeable is a BS non-sequitur. Trust me - as an experienced pro bassist myself - plenty more famous guys DON'T do it.
Also, we need to remember the requirements in terms of instrument quality/tone and setup for rockabilly/slap are way lower than for pro jazz or orchestral music. That's just the nature of the beast, not a value judgement. What works for one set of players in a specific and limited style doesnt work for all - especially if it's a compromise/bodge. I'm certainly not going to suggest setup bodges to a beginner.

[quote name='kristo' timestamp='1504791089' post='3367341']
I'm looking to get my newly acquired (second-hand) double bass set up with some new strings to try and help with learning the instrument. I'm an absolute beginner and not really sure what would be best. I have found a local guy who sets up double basses and am now trying to decide on what strings would be best for me and how to ask for it to be set up. Currently the strings seem fairly high in tension and the action quite high.

I'm hoping to play blues, bluegrass and jazz pizzicato, and would appreciate any advice on a good starting string/setup for this. I've done a bit of searching on here and Innovation Silver Slaps have caught my eye. They seem like a good string for my style, but I'm not sure if they are good for a low action. Is a low action even a good idea???

I would appreciate any guidance from experienced players. Cheers.
[/quote]

I've got Silver Slaps on my double bass and love them.

I bought my first DB a couple of years ago and it came with Spirocore Weichs, which are nice strings but I found them to be a bit too high in tension for my liking (despite being a lower tension option), so I struggled to make any meaningful progress at first. Eventually I decided to try the Silver Slaps, based mainly on the positive reviews I had read here, and am very happy that I did.

The lower tension makes them much easier to play (for me anyway), and they sound fantastic, giving me just the kind of sound I'm after. As a result I'm enjoying playing my DB more than I was previously, and feel like my playing is definitely improving much quicker as a result.

A few suggestions based on my limited experience.

Strings: Silver slaps (or golden slaps or rockabillys) will do you fine. They'll also save you £50+ against most string brands, yet theyre used by various pros, etc they're not a "budget" choice. Also if you decide you want to try bowing, they, unlike a lot of strings better suited to slap/pizz, can be bowed. Try and avoid the trap of thinking you need to buy a million strings to find the perfect set. Your first set will last you ages, just practice on those and get good. People just love to throw money at double bass for some reason.

String height: If you're not sure what you want, I suggest string height of 8-10mm for each string at the end of the fingerboard. This is a rule of thumb used by a lot of people at the start. An adjustable bridge would be a good idea. Shims do work, not that I want to open that can of worms again, but the best option is to just have the right tool for the job. You should be able to learn anything you want with a height of 8-10mm, adjustment up or down will then just make it easier or sound better

Slap: I always recommend The Ungentle Art and Slapology DVDs as the ones that best show the techniques. There's some good and some bad stuff on YouTube, but as there's no "right way" to do it, just watch stuff and try it out. Spend some time with someone who does it well if you can, that helps too (thanks again to Paul King and Adam Richards, their time helped me no end). Maybe you can find someone local on here, or at a double bass bash if that happens again, or just at a gig

Hope that's some help. Double bass is a great instrument, stick at it and it'll pay off in all kinds of ways.

[quote name='AndyBass' timestamp='1505454711' post='3371959']
String height: If you're not sure what you want, I suggest string height of 8-10mm for each string at the end of the fingerboard.
[/quote]

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1505465731' post='3372061']
Just to clarify an important point for the OP. String heights increase across the strings from G to E; which takes into account increased string mass and the space needed for vibration.
The most "homogenized" setup, if you like, is favoured for Jazz playing by the great NYC luthier David Gage - an increase of 1mm per string, eg 6,7,8,9mm G to E.
[/quote]

+1 to to each point here (so +2?). When I got my DB it was set-up 7,8,9,10mm (G-E), which has worked nicely for me.

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1505465731' post='3372061']
In terms of string choice; think about the sounds/bassists you like and let that inform your choice. Silver Slaps are fine - but make that a sonic decision rather than the idea that they're "easier to play than steel strings". If a widely-used low to med tension steel string is too difficult to play, it's not the string that's at fault ;-) These things take time. Remember, there's bassists who are very different in tone and approach who all use spirocores.
[/quote]

I agree, the sound of the strings has to be a deciding factor, after all there's no point having strings that are easier to play if they don't sound good. I think that the ease of playing action is an important factor as well though. It's all about getting the right balance I guess.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Spirocores, they're good strings and I certainly don't think they were at fault, but nor was I ;-) I just don't think they were right for me, not right now anyway, and I personally prefer both the sound and the feel of the Silver Slaps.

Edited by lloyd1979_uk

After a few weeks learning with the original strings it seems I actually like slapping as well so I've ordered some Innovation Silver Slaps. Hopefully I can get them fitted next week and the bass set up. I've also released that double bass is pretty addictive!

As a new guy myself I had the same string and height issues when I got my bass, I went for 7,8,9,10mm G to E and on advice changed the steels to Innovation silver slaps, works for me at my level. Has also been played a pretty good professional rockabilly bass player, he liked the feel and sure made it sound good.