Why become a member? ×

£70 or nearest offer, above £70

Guest MoJo

I recently spotted a Zoom B3 advertised locally, on Gumtree, for £70 or very nearest offer. I emailed the seller, asking if the item is still available, to which he replied, 'Yes it is, what's your offer?'. I offer £65 and say that I can collect it on Saturday.
Later the seller emails me with the news, "Yours is the highest offer Mark, it's yours". The guy emails me his address and arrangements are made to pick it up on Saturday morning.
Last night I receive an email stating, "Mark, I received offers over £100, so I'm going to have to accept those, unless you can match it?" I declined.
What happened to 'It's yours'? I could understand it if the listing had just said 'Offers' but I've never been in a situation where you're expected to offer a very nearest offer more than the asking price. :lol:

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1504765172' post='3367077']
Why put '£70 ONO' if you then get offered £65 & £100 and accept £100. Any idiot can tell you that £65 is nearer to £70 than £100 is to £70!
[/quote]

Much nearer :lol:

Edited by MoJo

I've had this experience on gumtree few times. I call the guy - I'll pay the full price, when can I pick it up? (Usually really good bargains) and the seller says - yes, great - time and date and we're set.
Hour later - Hi Pawel, I have received quite a few replies, so I thought the best thing to do is an "auction". If you can send me your offer by tomorrow midday and it's the highest - the item is yours. I hope you can understand.

I do understand... but why didn't you take it off gumtree if we have already agreed on the sale?

Nothing you can do about it...

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1504766410' post='3367086']
I've had this experience on gumtree few times. I call the guy - I'll pay the full price, when can I pick it up? (Usually really good bargains) and the seller says - yes, great - time and date and we're set.
Hour later - Hi Pawel, I have received quite a few replies, so I thought the best thing to do is an "auction". If you can send me your offer by tomorrow midday and it's the highest - the item is yours. I hope you can understand.

I do understand... but why didn't you take it off gumtree if we have already agreed on the sale?

Nothing you can do about it...
[/quote]

Perhaps, by offering the item at a low price or nearest offer, to generate interest, then invite interested parties to present their offer, is a way of creating an eBay style auction without the fees.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1504766898' post='3367093']
It's a basic lack of honour
[/quote]

I agree Norris. The guy is clearly not Klingon. He has no honour (honor, for our American cousins) :lol:

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1504763951' post='3367072']
Last night I receive an email stating, "Mark, I received offers over £100, so I'm going to have to accept those, unless you can match it?" I declined.
What happened to 'It's yours'? I could understand it if the listing had just said 'Offers' but I've never been in a situation where you're expected to offer a very nearest offer more than the asking price. :lol:
[/quote]

He's being a git.

The mean thing to do would've been to offer him £110 and then keep him on the never-never as long as you can, then say you're not interested.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1504768564' post='3367106']
He's a git, wind him up - get back to him and offer £125 - if he bites make the arrangements but don't turn up :) play him at his own game :angry:
[/quote]

£125 ? That's bold ! Isn't he bold ?

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1504767153' post='3367094']
Perhaps, by offering the item at a low price or nearest offer, to generate interest, then invite interested parties to present their offer, is a way of creating an eBay style auction without the fees.
[/quote]
Possible. I don't think it's fair though.
I'm pretty sure that in my cases, the sellers did not know what they have. Like a 1964 Bandmaster Blackface I bought - lady listed it for £40 at first :-) I think I bought it for £350 at the end.

Edited by PawelG

He's a git, wind him up - get back to him and offer £125 - if he bites make the arrangements but don't turn up :) play him at his own game :angry:
[/quote]
Instead of just not turning up, actually send a message that says "Sorry, I found one for £55 so I am going to have to go with that. Unless you can match it?".

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1504775806' post='3367187']
Instead of just not turning up, actually send a message that says "Sorry, I found one for £55 so I am going to have to go with that. Unless you can match it?".
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love it

[/quote]

It had crossed my mind ;) , but I'm not that vindictive :lol:

These things happen, just move on.

I was on the other end a few months ago. My wife was selling some PA speakers (JBL's) £300.00 no others.
An email arrived, "£275, I can pick up in the morning. Take it or leave, I ain't f*****g around with sellers anymore". It did make me laugh though. :D
He bit in the end for £290 and when he turned up, we had a good laugh about it. He told me he is a regular Gumtree user and it has become a nightmare.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1504763951' post='3367072']
I recently spotted a Zoom B3 advertised locally, on Gumtree, for £70 or very nearest offer. I emailed the seller, asking if the item is still available, to which he replied, 'Yes it is, what's your offer?'. I offer £65 and say that I can collect it on Saturday.
Later the seller emails me with the news, "Yours is the highest offer Mark, it's yours". The guy emails me his address and arrangements are made to pick it up on Saturday morning.
[/quote]

It's a deal breaker. If you are desperate for that pedal you'd have to make another deal and really, why would you if the chappie couldn't honour the first one?

Walk.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1504775997' post='3367190']
It's the market riding rough-shod over basic human dignity! Welcome to 21st-century regulation-free capitalism trickle-down! ...I [i]am[/i] joking by the way, before anyone accuses me of putting on my tinfoil hat (which is away being repaired).
[/quote]
You could have borrowed one of mine, I always have a spare just in case !

Three B3s are up for sale in the effects FS section, all on at £70. [UPDATE one sold already, 2 remaining!]

I think they were last being sold new at the start of this year for around £129?

The B3 has a great reputation and it seems to me that's a LOT of pedal for the price, certainly in comparison to say a new MS-60B (£89), which I previously had, and also very good value compared to the new B3n (£165) which is sitting on my pedal board and I think is a great bit of kit. But I'd certainly have been very tempted to go for a B3 at £70 instead, if they had been selling for that price six months ago, not least because they have a DI out and the B3n doesn't.

Edited by Al Krow