Why become a member? ×

Cat stopped play.

ambient

She's a very determined Siamese.

I do spend a very long time each day playing, I suppose I ought to spare her more time :).

She jumps up on to my desk, then steps on to my knee, from there she's able to get under the neck of the bass, then between to and me. She then starts howling at me until I relent and lie the bass down on my lap. Then she goes to sleep :).

[attachment=253029:20637977_746880238853573_7475737249451581024_n.jpg][attachment=253030:20914628_752131321661798_9147661950633448162_n.jpg]

Edited by ambient

Monty (now sadly lost to cancer) - a very large, strong, heavy (not overweight) cat - never tried to climb into my lap, but he would leap on my guitar teacher and persistently head-butt him under the left arm while he was trying to play.

Monty's true love, though, was my used-to-be duo partner, a lovely lady and fine singer with an "ample bosom" and fondness for low-cut tops. At any possible chance he would jump up and knead his front paws in her cleavage. Our best moment was when we were working on "Romeo and Juliet" and she improvised spoof "Monty" lyrics which I so wish I could remember - all I can remember is that we were both laughing so hard we literally cried.

Good times. We never liked each other that much, to be honest, but I miss him.

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1504729206' post='3366984']
Monty (now sadly lost to cancer) - a very large, strong, heavy (not overweight) cat - never tried to climb into my lap, but he would leap on my guitar teacher and persistently head-butt him under the left arm while he was trying to play.

Monty's true love, though, was my used-to-be duo partner, a lovely lady and fine singer with an "ample bosom" and fondness for low-cut tops. At any possible chance he would jump up and knead his front paws in her cleavage. Our best moment was when we were working on "Romeo and Juliet" and she improvised spoof "Monty" lyrics which I so wish I could remember - all I can remember is that we were both laughing so hard we literally cried.

Good times. We never liked each other that much, to be honest, but I miss him.
[/quote]

Cats are brilliant, so full of character.

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1504730935' post='3367002']
Buy a carpeted bass cab, a veritable cat magnet.
[/quote]

Indeed. My metal-cased Marshal and Peavey amps attract much attention with no damage. A foam-cased wedge donated by a friend now has only a thin fluffy halo.

I am just reading with this while having a short break from practising - still with bass on my knee. My cat, who is at the larger end of the domestic cat size scale, keeps standing up behind the chair and sticking his claws in my back while I try to play. If this doesn't attract enough attention, then he will usually jump on the desk and sit on my laptop. I generally have a cat audience while I play.

My husband has just called through to say our other cat is sat in my bass case.

We also have to shut them out of the room when the tutor comes round, as one of them will try to sit on his knee.

Edited by flaxholmelis

I too have a Siamese cat, plus a tabby moggie
The Siamese is just such a different breed. She's absolutely in your face, as often as she can be
Loves a lap, hates it when I've got a bass on my lap, because she wants that lap!

But she also loves a jam evening, when other musicians pop around - because she loves a well-padded gigbag
but even better, she prefers a fur lined fiddle case or guitar case. She also doesn't mind the sound of live music in the house
our moggie runs a mile when anyone plays an instrument - esp the violin. But oddly enough, even she doesn't mind the sound of my DB

My cats don't like me to play, they get scared with the noise. I practise in my studio with a closed door to prevent them to enter and spread all kinds of mayhem trying to flee as soon as they hear the first note. They do love my gear. They're allways climbing up my bass case and cables trolley bag and using it as a nail scratcher whenever i forget them in the lobby after coming home late. I've posted this here some time ago but they also have a special fondness for my cab... this one time i was replacing the tweeter and had to step out of the room for a while...

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1504773989' post='3367161']
I too have a Siamese cat, plus a tabby moggie
The Siamese is just such a different breed. She's absolutely in your face, as often as she can be
Loves a lap, hates it when I've got a bass on my lap, because she wants that lap!

But she also loves a jam evening, when other musicians pop around - because she loves a well-padded gigbag
but even better, she prefers a fur lined fiddle case or guitar case. She also doesn't mind the sound of live music in the house
our moggie runs a mile when anyone plays an instrument - esp the violin. But oddly enough, even she doesn't mind the sound of my DB
[/quote]

Mine doesn't like strangers. When I have people over for lessons she'll occasionally look into the room, but won't come in. Like your's, she assumes that cases and bags are for her to sleep in :).

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1504774645' post='3367167']
My cats don't like me to play, they get scared with the noise. I practise in my studio with a closed door to prevent them to enter and spread all kinds of mayhem trying to flee as soon as they hear the first note. They do love my gear. They're allways climbing up my bass case and cables trolley bag and using it as a nail scratcher whenever i forget them in the lobby after coming home late. I've posted this here some time ago but they also have a special fondness for my cab... this one time i was replacing the tweeter and had to step out of the room for a while...

[/quote]

That's lovely!

:)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1504723937' post='3366924']
She's a very determined Siamese.

I do spend a very long time each day playing, I suppose I ought to spare her more time :).

She jumps up on to my desk, then steps on to my knee, from there she's able to get under the neck of the bass, then between to and me. She then starts howling at me until I relent and lie the bass down on my lap. Then she goes to sleep :).

[attachment=253029:20637977_746880238853573_7475737249451581024_n.jpg][attachment=253030:20914628_752131321661798_9147661950633448162_n.jpg]
[/quote]

Aw bless.

Every cat I've had has been jealous of things that get my attention. They'd try and usurp my attention to the object in ways like you've described. I could never get annoyed by it even when it was a proper inconvenience sometimes.

Yours has a lovely face.

my cat, Slaine, loves it when I play acoustic guitar. i have a photo somewhere of him as a kitten standing on the guitar picking at the strings.

Does like the bass, if not as much as the acoustic, but loves it when i change the strings as that gives him something metal, shiny and dangling in front of him that clearly must be played with. Like much of his existence, both cute and annoying at the same time.