Why become a member? ×

eBay seller

TheGreek

I won this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-bass-guitar-4-string-red-colour-used-with-AMP-/112545368719?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=o4LnSjUKoTAAqgLdpGuPtEqtjQI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Seller clearly not happy with it selling for less than he'd hoped so cancelled the sale. I've tried to contact ebay but just went round in circles on their automated messages.

Surely this can't be right/fair...

I'm not sure what Ebay's rules and fine print say on situations like this, but my understanding is that if the seller hasn't put a reserve price on an item then they are obliged to let it go at the final bid price. Might be worth checking through their rules or at least opening a dispute?

Incidentally, has the headstock been errr, upgraded?

I think an ebay seller can withdraw an item at any time.... before it sells on ebay
But withdrawing after someone has won it is not fair to the buyer. Quite what ebay's rules are, I'm not sure
Perhaps the penalty the seller pays, is that he / she gets charged for the ad, as if it has sold?

I'd definitely look in to opening a case.......

I had a look here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

somewhat confusingly it says both that you can cancel a sale and also that you entered into a legal agreement to sell the item when you put up the listing. This all seems to be about having to cancel the sale, for instance when the item turns out to be damaged. Nothing explicitly telling people that you can't just change your mind if you don't fancy selling any more.

I had a look at the link about eBay's Ts & Cs and that's similarly vague, as are any other on line guides. It seems that everybody agrees that the seller cannot do this...but there's not much you can do to enforce it. The main/only sanction seems to be that the buyer can still leave negative feedback. So I suggest that you do,

I believe (not 100% sure) the seller will get a "strike" from eBay if a sale is unfulfilled after a normal auction. Too many strikes, and they will be unable to use eBay (unless they create another account, etc). eBay doesn't like it either because they want the extra fees off of a reserve price auction etc, but they can't force the item to be sold.

Phone EBay so you can at least speak to someone. I've had this once and when I started saying "I've been a loyal customer for years and this has damaged my view of EBay", they credited me £25.

The seller gets a strike against their name but that is it. Technically you can take them to small claims but it isn't really worth it. Frustrating, but it happens. You have right on your side but they are extremely unlikely to hand the bass over.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1504697480' post='3366635']
Don't really see what you can do. You won the auction, but it's still his property. You can't exactly go round and remove it, eBay can't force him to sell it either.

He should have put a reserve price on it, but I think you have to pay to do that.
[/quote]

This, I'm afraid. It's still his property and he is free to decide to keep it. You can, after all, cancel if you have bought something on eBay and you change your mind. Despite what eBay says about your entering into a legally binding contract to buy or sell, it isn't enforceable.

Cant see you getting the bass, but there is such a thing as an NPB , which is Non Performing Buyer, and is what sellers use to report a bidder who won and doesn't pay. Plenty of those around.

Was wondering if there is an NPS, Non Performing Seller. If so, open a dispute. You may not get the bass, but seller will surely get a strike or something ?

Thing is, if he's done this before, he may already have strikes against his name. You dont have this information, sadly. So do it anyway

Something happens when you get 3 strikes.

eBay has not the slightest interest in wasting their time & energy on people, Mick. You're wasting your time, walk away.

Their business model has taken a massive deflection in the last 10 years, and is now totally focused on corporates and dealers moving large amounts of stock quickly. Frankly they'd prefer it if annoying little people like us did our dealing on Gumtree (which they also own, of course).

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1504697166' post='3366630']
I think an ebay seller can withdraw an item at any time.... before it sells on ebay
But withdrawing after someone has won it is not fair to the buyer. Quite what ebay's rules are, I'm not sure
Perhaps the penalty the seller pays, is that he / she gets charged for the ad, as if it has sold?

I'd definitely look in to opening a case.......
[/quote]
Happened to me twice - they can give him a strike as a non performing seller plus you can neg them
Three strikes and they ban you. It's not like they can just create another account though ....

Edited by Geek99

You won't be able to give negative feedback, and there is no such thing as a negative seller strike. As a seller you can cancel the transaction at any time (and get your fees back) - you just have to say the item is no longer available for sale. Just as, as a buyer, you can choose not to pay for items you win and no one will/can force you to pay.

No you can definitely cancel the sale after - I've done it several times (normally because the item got damaged, couldnt be shipped etc) . Once the sale is cancelled, neither of you can leave feedback, you get your final value fees back - and everyone moves on.. cut and paste from my ebay account...
[color=#333333][b]
Hello,[/b][/color]

You've sold this item.

If the item is lost, broken or out of stock, or the buyer requests a cancellation, select [b]Cancel order[/b] below and issue a refund.
If the buyer paid using PayPal, their refund will be issued automatically. Once they receive their refund we consider the cancellation complete. If they didn't use PayPal, please issue their refund manually within 10 days. The buyer will need to confirm that they've received their refund in order to complete the cancellation.
Orders can be cancelled up to 30 days after the item is sold. Once the refund is successful and the cancellation is complete, you'll receive a final value fee credit.

Edited by sammybee