Why become a member? ×

First recording off desk using Waves Multirack...

EBS_freak

Pretty pleased with the results... I can see this getting expensive on the plug in front now... The EQs are so more musical than the ones built into the desk. FOH sounding amazing when I was out front at soundcheck. Well, to me anyway.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1504566331' post='3365787']
+1. Sound separation sounds pretty good to me. I'll be checking the software out myself!
[/quote]
Just after shelling out on the SSL pack, I see that Waves have got the G Channel on special offer...! [url="http://www.waves.com/plugins/ssl-g-channel"]http://www.waves.com...s/ssl-g-channel[/url] - Typical!!

Highly recommended - the majority of the above is on G Channel.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1504566944' post='3365792']
A mate of mine has a studio in a Belgium and always seems to be well informed on Waves stuff. I'll ask him tomorrow if he has any input. He works closely with a producer from Brighton who probably gives him the insight. I'm impressed!
[/quote]
It really is a step up in quality from the standard stuff that you find in the DAWs... not that they aren't good in their own right! I'm really taken by the SSL pack though... so versatile, both live and in the studio. Never been so chuffed with my bass sound either (Kemper straight into PA with SSL G Channel!)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1504566493' post='3365789']
Just after shelling out on the SSL pack, I see that Waves have got the G Channel on special offer...! [url="http://www.waves.com/plugins/ssl-g-channel"]http://www.waves.com...s/ssl-g-channel[/url] - Typical!!

Highly recommended - the majority of the above is on G Channel.
[/quote]

Am I right in reading that you can't just buy that plug in, you have to have the waves package to house it? - I'm on a small screen at the moment lol!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1504609673' post='3366003']
Am I right in reading that you can't just buy that plug in, you have to have the waves package to house it? - I'm on a small screen at the moment lol!
[/quote]
Historically, you have to buy the SSL suite... but they are selling the G Channel separately at the moment.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/ssl-g-channel

^ link to the individual channel.

http://www.waves.com/bundles/ssl-4000-collection

^ the suite it normally comes part of.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1504627892' post='3366171']...they are selling the G Channel separately at the moment...
[/quote]

Sorry, but it's still not clear to me; I'm reading "...[color=#800080]Please note: When purchased as a single plugin, SSL G-Channel is available for Waves v9.91 only.[/color]" If I purchase this G-channel plug-in [i]only[/i], as a Vst for Windows, will it work with Reaper, with no other Waves products necessary..? It must just be me, but it's confusing, I find. Old age..? :blush:

You download Waves Central and log on to your Waves account. Once in that, that application then licenses the plugin to your machine and will prompt you to install the plugins into your DAW. Waves Central is the application that controls the installation and licensing of your bought plugins.

9.91 is the latest version of Waves - think of it as Waves Central 9.91... so if you were running Waves Central 8, you couldn't use the plug in.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1504630552' post='3366205']
You download Waves Central and log on to your Waves account. Once in that, that application then licenses the plugin to your machine and will prompt you to install the plugins into your DAW. Waves Central is the application that controls the installation and licensing of your bought plugins.

9.91 is the latest version of Waves - think of it as Waves Central 9.91... so if you were running Waves Central 8, you couldn't use the plug in.
[/quote]

AhhH!!! That makes lots of sense now :) Bit like a software iLok.

Ah, that makes sense. I remember now; I [i]did [/i]have a 'Waves Central' installed a while ago with some of their stuff, but removed it, as it just wouldn't remember what I had and what I hadn't. No problem, it must just be me, but it bugged me, so I scrapped it. :blush: Edited by Dad3353

sounds cool, great playing too! When you say they're better than the stuff you get as standard in DAWs, which DAWs have you tried? And do you think you're just finding it easier to get the result you want with the Waves plugins? As in it would be possible to do with the built in VSTs but it might take you longer?

I stopped adding VSTs to my system a couple of years ago as I found I was messing about too much switching between different EQs or different Compressors, rather than just using the tool in front of me to do what I want. I do love the idea of SSL channels in my DAW though

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1504694294' post='3366587']
sounds cool, great playing too! When you say they're better than the stuff you get as standard in DAWs, which DAWs have you tried? And do you think you're just finding it easier to get the result you want with the Waves plugins? As in it would be possible to do with the built in VSTs but it might take you longer?

I stopped adding VSTs to my system a couple of years ago as I found I was messing about too much switching between different EQs or different Compressors, rather than just using the tool in front of me to do what I want. I do love the idea of SSL channels in my DAW though
[/quote]
Primarily protools and logic - and I agree with what you say, the stock plugins are very capable and there's some amazing mixes out there done on just the stock plugins. The SSL plugin is something I've become really familiar with and having all the gate, compressor, eq in one strip makes the process very quick. So yes, you are right - the results are probably achievable with a lot more work.

Some algorithms are defo better than others though - not that I would use it live, but check out the multi band compressors and especially limiters compared to the stock offerings...