Why become a member? ×

Walter Becker R.I.P.

timmo

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1504510457' post='3365265']
I find it very sad but inevitable that in another decade there'll be none, or extremely few, of the legends left.
[/quote]

Almost off-topic, but are there no 'new' legends being created..? None of the 'greats' can ever be replaced,of course, but is it all over now..? Surely not..? Think of the children. :blink:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1504521803' post='3365364']
Almost off-topic, but are there no 'new' legends being created..? None of the 'greats' can ever be replaced,of course, but is it all over now..? Surely not..? Think of the children. :blink:
[/quote]

There'll never be another band like Steely Dan - I don't know of any songwriting duo currently on the scene that writes lyrics and music with real class combined with that Rock / Jazz / R&B mentality...

Edited by louisthebass

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1504521803' post='3365364']

Almost off-topic, but are there no 'new' legends being created..? None of the 'greats' can ever be replaced,of course, but is it all over now..?
[/quote]

Probably. The artists we'd regard as legends are so by the fact that they were pioneers, trailblazers, originators and thus had massive cultural impact. There are still innovators out there but they are niche artists that have little or no impact on wider popular culture.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1504554627' post='3365680']
Probably. The artists we'd regard as legends are so by the fact that they were pioneers, trailblazers, originators and thus had massive cultural impact. There are still innovators out there but they are niche artists that have little or no impact on wider popular culture.
[/quote]

And there are no trails left to blaze..? No impact to be had, culturally..? The legends of the 1920's are gone, those of the '50s sprang up. My (our...) generation is passing (we're all just passing through...); the next legends are only just born. Give 'em a chance and they'll 'originate' as did the others, as do all legends, in their time, in their own time. Every generation mourns the loss of their own, but each generation has their own legends, I'm sure, otherwise, there'd be no shoulders to stand on, would there..? :)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1504555478' post='3365694']

And there are no trails left to blaze..? No impact to be had, culturally..? The legends of the 1920's are gone, those of the '50s sprang up. My (our...) generation is passing (we're all just passing through...); the next legends are only just born. Give 'em a chance and they'll 'originate' as did the others, as do all legends, in their time, in their own time. Every generation mourns the loss of their own, but each generation has their own legends, I'm sure, otherwise, there'd be no shoulders to stand on, would there..? :)
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1504555478' post='3365694']

[/quote]

But trail blazers and pioneers are by definition breaking new ground. There hasn't been a truly new genre since hip hop, forty or so years ago. I'm not holding my breath :)