Why become a member? ×

Gigging & Public Transportation

blue

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1504607598' post='3365984']
When did we (in the UK) become American and start saying "dating"? I'm not even sure what that is... I've been married too long :rolleyes:
[/quote]

What did we used to say? I thought it was quite old. I personally have never dated anyone, or even been on a date. I have been seeing people though in the past (also married too long to remember). Maybe he means 'what do women want when they are out on the pull'

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1504399582' post='3364651']
So public transport doesn't work for everyone. Just like anything else there are variables that come into play.

Definitely not for the 4 hour, 3 gig weekend.

Thanks for the education on public transport guys.

Blue
[/quote]

Just don't ask about HS2. It would be a bit like putting the cat amongst the pigeons.

What time do your sets usually end Blue? I'd say most public transport has shut down for the night by then anyway. When that happens here, you'd need either a taxi or a safe stash for the gear while you hoof it home. Pubs and clubs in residential areas of British towns and cities are often finished by 11:15 leaving it possible, if pushed, to use a bus. You are stuffed for a connection with another bus route at that time of night so it needs to go all the way past home.

You need a car. I'm stuffed on that one.

"Dating" is the novel American concept of getting to know someone before (provided all goes well) moving the relationship on further, perhaps to a physical level.

This differs from the traditional British approach of getting smashed off your tits at a party, coping off with someone you fancy, snogging their face off and usually more, then spending the next few months finding out if you actually like each other...

... cultural differences and all that.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='vantagepointrocks' timestamp='1504604485' post='3365944']

As for dating, most likely just to meet at the pub/cinema/restaurant, that means we can both get public transport there. Or I have been in the situation where the female is the car owner and has come to pick me up – I didn’t judge them by the car they were driving though.
[/quote]

Now that's different.😁

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1504620506' post='3366108']

Just don't ask about HS2. It would be a bit like putting the cat amongst the pigeons.

What time do your sets usually end Blue? I'd say most public transport has shut down for the night by then anyway. When that happens here, you'd need either a taxi or a safe stash for the gear while you hoof it home. Pubs and clubs in residential areas of British towns and cities are often finished by 11:15 leaving it possible, if pushed, to use a bus. You are stuffed for a connection with another bus route at that time of night so it needs to go all the way past home.

You need a car. I'm stuffed on that one.
[/quote]

Our bar gigs are 4 hour nights. From 8:00- 12:00 to 9:30 to 1:30. Tear down is an additional hour which is figured into our fee.

Blue

One of the UK's top drummers, dear friend and band-mate (sadly passed away earlier this year) couldn't drive!
When you've made a name for yourself it's easier: Producers, bands, fellow musicians etc are far more accommodating. They will hire a kit, or arrange transport for yourself and kit.
I often wondered how he managed before he had made his name.
He did lose one or two gigs through lack of transport.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1504628207' post='3366174']

This differs from the traditional British approach of getting smashed off your tits at a party, coping off with someone you fancy, snogging their face off and usually more, then spending the next few months finding out if you actually like each other...

... cultural differences and all that.
[/quote]

I think that probably happens for the young folks over here in the States as well.

I did see 2 local women, my age who appeared to be single when I was sitting outside at my local Star Bucks.

One was riding a "Rascal" with an oxygen tank and the other was smoking a cigarette, wearing a knee brace and basically crawling to her car.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1504607598' post='3365984']
When did we (in the UK) become American and start saying "dating"? I'm not even sure what that is... I've been married too long :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Dating is also referred to as courting and sparking or squireing.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1504560168' post='3365745']
This what we take to gigs. On a train..? I don't think so, and anyway, there are none here. Fine for a privileged few with reduced needs, and good luck to 'em, but they're the rare exception, Id say.

[/quote]

Yes, we also haul full pa and lights to 95% of our gigs.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1504553295' post='3365667']
In the US you can purchase a dependable used car for around 10k and insurance with a clean driving record would be about $50.00 a month.

Question, is the notion of being able to hop into your own car at anytime and going anywhere you want not apoealing in the UK?

How do guys take women out on dates without a car. Is this another cultural thing. You guys are aware in the States women judge men by the cars they drive.

Blue
[/quote]

I only have one friend who doesn't / can't drive, adults in the UK that don't drive are definitely a minority.

That said Blue, roads in the UK are chronically overcrowded and many are in some disrepair. From my experience, driving in the US is far more enjoyable, especially out of the cities.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1504650161' post='3366403']
Do those of you who use public transport ever feel uneasy about carrying your gear around, from a safety / security perspective?
[/quote]

Nope. Anyone who tries to lift my effects case (or gig bag come think about it) and do a runner is only going to succeed at one or the other

Do those of you who use public transport ever feel uneasy about carrying your gear around, from a safety / security perspective?
[/quote]

Only when I carry one of my headless basses with me.

The uneasiness is not from fear of theft or damage. It's because I carry them both in rifle cases and the authorities are extra vigilant for suspicious packages. I bet I get followed on street cams wherever I take one for a walk.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[/quote]

No, never.

I think most thieves are opportunist, they see a car with a boot full of gear and try their luck. If they're caught they've broken into a car. Stealing from a person is a whole more serious thing. Plus in my case my bass weighs 6.5kg, plus another 2 or 3kg for the gig bag and MacBook that travels in the pocket. My other gear is on a trolley.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1504649910' post='3366399']
I only have one friend who doesn't / can't drive, adults in the UK that don't drive are definitely a minority.

That said Blue, roads in the UK are chronically overcrowded and many are in some disrepair. From my experience, driving in the US is far more enjoyable, especially out of the cities.
[/quote]

I think it also depends on when you grew up. Until I reached by 30s (in the early 90s) few of my friends could drive and even fewer actually owned a car. Those that did had something that inevitably spent almost as much time being fixed as it did being driven.

I can drive, but I hate it and I'm not a very good driver. Consequently I don't drive and the roads are a much safer place without me behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. Unfortunately there are plenty of people in the UK who seemingly don't realise how bad their driving is and continue to inflict their lack of ability on other road users. British roads would be a lot safer if these people didn't drive, and there wasn't a general assumption that virtually everyone who is capable of passing the driving test once, deserves the privilege of being allowed to drive.

And overcrowded doesn't begin to describe the majority of British roads. Almost any journey unless it is untaken on motorways at the dead of night will involve sitting in slow-moving (or even non-moving) traffic simply because there are too many cars trying too occupy roads that were designed for less than half that number.

Where I live parked cars line both sides of all the surrounding roads and despite blocking half the pavement, there is still only just enough room for a single vehicle to squeeze between them. If I did own a car, I'd be lucky to be able to park it in my street, let alone actually in front of my house.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1504701571' post='3366694']
I am not a drummer, but I can't help but feeling that you could improve on the layout of those drums for optimal access :lol:
[/quote]

'The long arm of the law'..? No, the front tom is for our singist (also a good drummist, as it happens...) to beat during 'There, There'..

[media]http://youtu.be/bwYDRS4o9qg[/media]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1504703171' post='3366723']
I can drive, but I hate it and I'm not a very good driver. Consequently I don't drive and the roads are a much safer place without me behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
[/quote]

That about sums up my driving too :).