Why become a member? ×

Should I refinish my '68 jazz??

stevej1982

Hi all, hoping I could get some opinions on here, I have a 1968 jazz bass all original parts and wiring, very playable condition, it has been refinished at some point in the 70's in nitro and was a pretty good job, apparently done by George Lowden a fairly well know guitar maker in Ireland, this stacks up as it's a local guitar.

The original colour was sunburst and it has the original tort pickguard. The finish has aged very nicely and has that light relic look with checking and great mojo.

However, I'm not sold on the colour but had to buy the bass because it's clearly awesome!!! The colour is not an original fender colour so should I

1. Leave it as it is, it's already vintage after all

2. Refinish it in orginal colour and if so should I relic it?

3. Pick a fender colour available in 1968 it's refinished anyway so value won't be affected much by another refinish

No reason not to refinish as it's not the original anyway, so pick a colour you like, either available at the time or not. Your preference, but I think it needs to be a nitro finish, professionally done, and no relicing.

I'm trying to decide if it's worse to put fake wear on a new bass to make it look old, or fake wear on a vintage bass to make it look old! :lol:

Being refinished means it's worth less than an unmolested '68. On the other hand being refinished by the legendary [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lowden"]George Lowden[/url] means it's probably worth [i]more [/i]than a normal refin but not by much.

Unless the colour seriously bothers you why not just leave it as it is and let the next owner (if there be one) spend the money getting it re-refinished? :)

It's not original so you can't base your decision on trying to keep it original

If you go for a solid refinish you'll have to be more careful with it that if you leave it , this is why I like to by basses that already have wear

If you want a different colour or finish then go for it , but I'd would either leave it or restore it to an original stock look and colour

All just personal opinions of course