Why become a member? ×

Pickups for my sandberg vs4 passive

Radchenko

Hi,

Interesting you say that as I have a VS4 passive and really dig the sound of the propietary Sandberg's compared to the more hifi Delano's.

This post is a massive can of worms as no matter what anyone else says its what you ears want.

I could say to you how about Lindy Fralins, or the New Nordstrand blade split coil pick ups they have released.
If you want really hifi go for Joe Barden JBE pick ups.

You can use a pre amp pedal, or pop in a preamp into the bass like a J East, or Aguilar.

But on this, I think you have to just research what is out there and go and listen and see what your ears tell you.

Otherwise VS4 is a lovely bass

I've got a VM4 with Sandberg's own pickups and would say that " ... [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]a Pbass sound but modern, similar to a jbass but punchiest. Clear cutting with the band." pretty much sums up the [/font][/color]the tone that I get with mine :)

What amp and cab(s) are you using? What eq setting are you using? Any effects or anything else in your signal chain?
In my experience the bass ought to be able to deliver the sound you describe without changing the pickups, but as Cuzzie says above;

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1504194363' post='3363321']

This post is a massive can of worms as no matter what anyone else says its what you ears want ... But on this, I think you have to just research what is out there and go and listen and see what your ears tell you.

Otherwise VS4 is a lovely bass
[/quote]

Thanks for your response.

I use tecamp puma 500 with barefaced compact. Really happy with them. Maybe will buy a tecamp piccolo 600.

DR sunbeams strings. Good feel. In my fender jazzbass usa Have ernie ball slinky, worst feel but more clear sound.

Other strings options?

Other pickups? Aero, nordstrand are my main thoughts.

DR are good strings

Tecamp Puma is a good amp, but I always feel it's a little too 'polite' in that it will never push itself forward in the mix, but you have great basses, and a great cab.

Either a Preamp pedal or pick ups of your choice just may be your thing

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1504214041' post='3363512']
DR are good strings

Tecamp Puma is a good amp, but I always feel it's a little too 'polite' in that it will never push itself forward in the mix, but you have great basses, and a great cab.

Either a Preamp pedal or pick ups of your choice just may be your thing
[/quote]

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1504592517' post='3365820']
If vou like a sandberg try the VM, it may get you want you want
[/quote]

If you think the Puma is a little too polite, it might be worth considering changing the amp, maybe?
My VM4 played on the neck pup alone punches for days and slices through the mix a treat.

Tecamp is not a problem, great amp.
Maybe I'm the problem but I can't change :-)

A luthier can make the área from a jbass pickup and obtain something like this but in passive:

https://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.session.de%2Fout%2Fpictures%2Fmaster%2Fproduct%2F7%2FSandberg_Masterpiece_PJ4_Tobacco_Sunburst_6.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.session.de%2FSANDBERG-California-VT-4-Masterpiece-MN-Tobacco-SB.html&docid=3k1UB2S5mfJ2AM&tbnid=Uzed4Xohkycm0M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiAg-nRiI_WAhVGcRQKHXo2DOsQMwiAASguMC4..i&w=1500&h=988&hl=es&client=safari&bih=928&biw=768&q=sandberg%20california%20vt%204%20bass%20sunburst&ved=0ahUKEwiAg-nRiI_WAhVGcRQKHXo2DOsQMwiAASguMC4&iact=mrc&uact=8
Or is a Bad idea!?

If it's what you want and you are sure it's not a bad idea, however if you eventually want to sell the bass it will affect resale value as it's been altered and would not fetch the same as an unaltered VS4 or VT.

As per earlier posts it's all your own decision but base it on your ears, that goes for pick up choice as well, none of us can lead on that.

Thanks. What do you Think about the sound of your vs4 passive please?
Change strings? I like my strings
Change amp? Maybe the head, but it's a great head
Put an active circuit? I don't like active basses
Preamp pedal? Not for me
Bridge pickup? My jbass fender usa Have a great sound Thanks to his bridge pickup, I like but I want the same with more character. But otherwise is hard to decided make a hole in my bass

Thanks.

Edited by Radchenko

I like my VS4 passive, it's a great instrument, But I love my Sandberg MarloweDK.
What you are describing are the 2 inherent qualities of 2 very good basses.
Depending on what you play and who you play with, and what they are playing it's only you can decide what you want.

Your strings and cab are great, your head is good too, although not my favourite for powering your sound, but if you like it, don't worry.

I would do nothing, play the Jazz live mainly, have the VS4 as a back up, or you may find if doing any recording or certain types of songs it feels a bit better.

Don't knock pedals, some are really good and you don't have to spend the earth on them. A really good cheap one that I know plays well with the VS4 is a Hartke VXL, you can get them for £40 second hand and it has a DI out.

You have quality kit, enjoy them for what they are, but definitely do not put a hole in the VS4, worse case, sell it on.

Edited by Cuzzie