Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH500

isteen

Years ago I used a LH500. As far as I remember, the tone was really warm and fat.
Actually thinking of getting one as a backup for my EBS amp.

Connected to 2 12" EBS cabs - how do you feel about the LH500?

From the user manual: [i][font=MyriadPro][size=2]The LH Series rear panels have 1/4-inch EFFECTS SEND and RETURN for connecting external effects processors, plus 1/4-inch and Speakon connectors for connecting your bass cabinet or cabinets. [/size][/font][/i]

The LH500 does not have Speakon connectors, or am I wrong?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1504181187' post='3363197']
Not knocking the LH500 but it's of its time. You could do better, i.e. smaller, lighter and er... 'soundier'. :unsure:
[/quote]

Like in what amps?
Thinking tone/value as in LH500

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1504183494' post='3363241']
Like in what amps? Thinking tone/value as in LH500
[/quote]

For that money you'd be better of keeping an eye on the Amps and Cabs for Sale forum on BC. Pretty much any lightweight head by Gallien-Krueger, Markbass, Ashdown, Ampeg etc. would do you as a backup amp and may even become your go-to amp. Just my opinion, of course. :)

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1504179531' post='3363181']
The LH500 does not have Speakon connectors, or am I wrong?
[/quote]

Just to confirm, the LH500 does not have Speakon connectors. It has 1/4" jacks.

If your EBS cabs have Speakon only connectors, then purchasing 1/4" to Speakon speaker cables shouldn't be too much of an extra expense.

Not used mine for a while, as my TC Electronic BH500 is an easier carry and has better Mid boost features. The LH500's still a cracking amp, so if you want one, new or second hand, it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of one!

The LH500 is a good amp. I got mine for £200 new and have gigged it a few times and I prefer the simple eq to the Trace it replaced.

It`s not that heavy at 11kg and fits in a 2u Gator bag. Of course if you are used to small class d amps, it will seem large and heavy but I like it and it does what it says on the tin so to speak.

I really like my lh500.
I gets used a fair bit, as its tone really suits one of the bands I play with.
Big, fat, responsive, and takes pedals really well.
It is quite weighty, but the tone is too. I rate mine as a great buy for the £200 I gave for it (as a backup to my main head), and I have no intention of moving it on any time soon

They're fantastic amps. I've had both 500 & 1000 models. The last one I had was the LH1000 which had a blend control - this is great if you are running two cabs with different power ratings. In my case a 4x10" and a 1x15". It meant I could have more going to the 4x10".

Really, really loud amps and sound better with a different valve IMO. I used a JJ ecc803S in mine. You're not meant to be able to overdrive the preamp valve but a powerful enough bass, in my case a Fender Precision special FSR with EMGs and 3 band EQ did the trick :P

I had two LH500s and loved them. Very simple eq but with a lovely tone and so much power.
I don't think they are as heavy as people make out. Unfortunately with the birth of class D amps everything else feels heavy. But the LH500 is not as heavy as others I've had.

Only reason I moved them on was size rather than weight. I store the whole PA in my house and my current MB500s fit in my guitar case with my basses.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1504299088' post='3364053']
I don't think they are as heavy as people make out. Unfortunately with the birth of class D amps everything else feels heavy. But the LH500 is not as heavy as others I've had.

Only reason I moved them on was size rather than weight.
[/quote]

+1 to this! They are cumbersome and a little awkward in terms of their dimensions. Mine is more so due to the slightly oversized 3U Flightcase I have it housed in (It overlaps the front and back of my cabs. Though this does allow for the safe storage of the necessary plugs and speaker cables!).

And yet it's still only a quarter of the weight of an Ampeg valve head or the like! :-)

The LH500 is a total steal really. I got mine in an emergency and sort of assumed I'd want to move it on if the band worked out, but actually I really like it. As others have said, the flight cased dimensions aren't the most convenient and it overhangs my cabs annoyingly - I often put the head on a chair or even on the floor for peace of mind. I don't find it excessively heavy, certainly not compared to a valve amp, but the footprint is a bit of problem in a small car. The effects loop was designed by an idiot too (it bypasses the DI out FFS). Great sound though and loud as hell. I can get a convincing 'Hooky' sound out of it if needed, which is the main thing.

Edited by radiophonic

Great amps! I only moved mine on because I was using mostly J basses with both pickups on full, so an absolute mids-desert and the amp couldn't boost the mids very much. Other than that, as others have said, they are a bit bulky compared to today's alternatives but such a powerful "muscular" sound :)

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1504537432' post='3365532']
+1 to this! They are cumbersome and a little awkward in terms of their dimensions. Mine is more so due to the slightly oversized 3U Flightcase I have it housed in (It overlaps the front and back of my cabs. Though this does allow for the safe storage of the necessary plugs and speaker cables!).

And yet it's still only a quarter of the weight of an Ampeg valve head or the like! :-)
[/quote]

They fit perfectly in a Gator 2u shallow rack

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1505474753' post='3372172']
[/quote]

Do you have a product ID for that? I originally got a Pulse Shallow rack and it was about 3cm too shallow! It would improve my quality of life considerably.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1505425489' post='3371903']
Fender tone stack (a la Alembic) and a beefy power section. What is not to love?
[/quote]

Exactly. I always fancied a rig like Hooky's and I accidentally ended up with something close.

Edited by radiophonic

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1505478670' post='3372225']
Do you have a product ID for that? I originally got a Pulse Shallow rack and it was about 3cm too shallow! It would improve my quality of life considerably.
[/quote]

Mine (http://basschat.co.uk/topic/251005-hartke-lh500-amplifier-in-rackbag-sold/page__hl__hartke%20lh500) was in a 2u rackbag from LD Systems. Like this one - [url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gator-grb-2u/2683?gclid=CjwKCAjw9O3NBRB3EiwAK6wPT5ZtPv8dt7lz6h5kZ4RYyf05FytM9eIGZDSKbbbI8cHYO3g_HOtwDRoCicoQAvD_BwE"]https://www.gak.co.u...DRoCicoQAvD_BwE[/url]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1505479264' post='3372232']
Mine (V=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/251005-hartke-lh500-amplifier-in-rackbag-sold/page__hl__hartke%20lh500) was in a 2u rackbag from LD Systems. Like this one - [url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gator-grb-2u/2683?gclid=CjwKCAjw9O3NBRB3EiwAK6wPT5ZtPv8dt7lz6h5kZ4RYyf05FytM9eIGZDSKbbbI8cHYO3g_HOtwDRoCicoQAvD_BwE"]https://www.gak.co.u...DRoCicoQAvD_BwE[/url]
[/quote]

Ah - I was looking for something in ABS rather than ply really. There seem to be 2 standard depths: too shallow and too deep. The 'carry-on' approach might work for local shows though. This plus pedlboard case plus a gig bag, I could do all bar the cab on public transport.

Edited by radiophonic

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1505474753' post='3372172']

[/quote]

I'm sure it does! It's just that the 2U case I bought-a version/copy by Black Rat, which is P.M.T.'s rebadged Stagg brand-was the only one available at the time. And I don't see much point in removing it, as it does it's job!

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1505512608' post='3372580'] I'm sure it does! It's just that the 2U case I bought-a version/copy by Black Rat, which is P.M.T.'s rebadged Stagg brand-was the only one available at the time. And I don't see much point in removing it, as it does it's job! [/quote]

I went into PMT this morning and had a look. Out of stock, predictably and their listed dimensions didn't agree with the measurements of the amp either. However, I was a bit concerned about the level of protection offered to the front panel. Is this ply or just padded fabric?

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1505654307' post='3373360']

I went into PMT this morning and had a look. Out of stock, predictably and their listed dimensions didn't agree with the measurements of the amp either. However, I was a bit concerned about the level of protection offered to the front panel. Is this ply or just padded fabric?
[/quote]

Well, I purchased mine 7 years ago, so I can't comment on stock problems. However, I can tell you that my 2U case is a plastic flight case that has fastening lids/covers on the front and back, so you shouldn't have any worries!

• 4 weeks later...

yes you can get smaller lighter in a class D depends if you need those 1x12s to shift some air or just sound pretty - if you want that sort of preamp tone but compact and lightweight then check out the hartke 600w class d

i run my LH500 through either one or two 4x10s or a pair of 1x12s - it can fill a good size space and even has enough punch to carry open air too

failing that if you want something you can carry easily how about a barefaced active sub run direct from a sansamp or ampeg DI box