Why become a member? ×

Fender P bass MM 2005

lownote

It was, as with all fender basses, a typical fender year with some great basses and some complete m***ers. Most of the MiM P basses have been fine, a couple have been outstanding - one of the outstanding ones was a 2004/5 that I wish I'd held onto. Usual rule applies either take a punt and flog it on if you don't click with it or try it first

I've not been particularly impressed with the 90's Mex Fender basses I've played, but I think the overall quality got gradually better after 2002 or so on the ones I've tried(massive generalisation based on personal experience alert). However the models made after the upgraded spec was introduced are in my experience in another league than the ones before- of all the Mexican Fenders I've played or owned the one I held onto was an '08/09... So, (in another sweeping generalisation thanks to Fender's notorious Q/C) a 2005'd likely be considerably better quality than a '95 whilst also noticeably not as good as a '15 model.

Interesting thing is the prices don't seem to vary anywhere near as much as the quality, I'm a bit out of touch but a couple of years ago most secondhand MiM Standard Fender Ps used to sell for around £250-350, regardless of age or condition.

Edited by SlapbassSteve

I picked up an '08 MIM P recently. Great condition, for about 350 I guess (Holland). It's a very nice bass, if perhaps a little plain.

The rosewood neck is lovely, but I definitely expected a much better pickup. (Perhaps those were upgraded later?) By accident, really, I stumbled upon a Curtis Novak pickup, and it now has a beautifully chewy sound. (I'd describe it as gourmet bread and butter) All in all that's a whole lot of precisiony goodness for a very affordable price.

If it plays well and you can get it for a fair price, I'd say it's a fine piece of equipment.

Pretty much going to echo the feedback you already have. I have a Deluxe Active P from 04/05 and it's a total workhorse - I'll never get rid of it. That said, my two other Mex basses from 14-16, and another one that I have since sold have all arguably been better quality.

Ignoring all of the above, go play it, if you can't play it but you're happy with the price on offer, buy it, and you can always move it on if you don't agree with it.